Spire with External Crossovers & Electronics.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:bowdown: Truly Impressive. Can't wait for your listening report! :bowdown:

well done Paul Excellent work and I love the Astounding eyes of Rita too ... A cracker and think maybe his best amongst some excellent CDs he has made on ECM.

Re read your description of bass changes with cabinet reconstruction too ..Sounds impressive!!

- look forward to your full burn in assessment!

- thanks for coffee invite May make it down south some time in next few months!!!!

Welcome awaits in Melrose :bowdown: any time you're up north, and a Lunar ML experience !!!

Bruce, yes, one of his best, all quite varied and distinctive though.

Brief update is that as Spectral has stated, the gradual settling/ charging of the caps has shown a staggering improvement across the board, right down to the lowest notes. The system is pretty much out of the picture now, what an upgrade such as this does is relieve the music of any strain & compression, music simply seems to flow totally unencumbered, to the point where it is easy to sense around the back of an instrument, going beyond palpability, often a surprising experience. Fundamentally, a much more powerful presentation has developed, dynamics and impact are first rate for a stat.. Played (best of) Lisa Gerrard last week and was simply stunned, I heard this very differently this time, a wonderful experience!

Ps68,
how did you find out about inductors values as a replacement (Mundorf 4.3mH?). I've been rebuilding my Summit crossovers and would like to change inductors but have no idea about values on them.

I was fortunate enough to be given the values by ML, it's worth asking service dept for the schematic, fingers crossed. Otherwise, de-solder originals and measure with an lcr meter if you have access to one?

Thanks Ps68,
I'll try calling ML. So far I got caps replaced with Sonicap Gen I. Summit's inside cabinet space is very limited: max 38mm height of crossover components so your idea with external electronics is very inspiring.

Awesome

Thanks BZR & User211 (Justin?).

I'm glad that some people read this and don't think heck, he should get out more...:music:

Attached some build shots and install.

Early build:
IMG_1184.jpg

Final build: Right and Left, they are handed for fitting into the relevant case.
IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

Fitted, Right Channel:
IMG_1197.jpg

I will add a more comprehensive write up early in the new year, by when they should be pretty settled.

Back soon,

Happy Xmas to all,
Paul.

Not sure if you answered this before or not , But what different steps would I need to take to change the crossover frequency so it would match the Montis? without re doing the whole thing and to save a little cash and time . Thanks =)

Dynamic, Hello & welcome to MLO..

Sorry, i'm unsure what you are asking: I would not alter the x over f, but unsure about the Montis bit?

Good stuff.
Regarding increasing masd of bass cabinet, you attached marble to sides and a piece on top?

Did you cut the marble yourself?
How is it held on?

Sorry, I've only just seen your question..

I have a stone company that CNC it for me, attachment was with some 3m solvent based adhesive, via a mastik gun. Still sounding fabulous and just enjoy them now..

Good stuff.
Regarding increasing masd of bass cabinet, you attached marble to sides and a piece on top?

Did you cut the marble yourself?
How is it held on?

Latest posts

Back