Oppo BDP-83

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
Today I received from Oppo an AIX Records audio calibration and HD music sampler Blu-ray disc. As you know, a Video calibration disc was included with the original purchase. I've had the Oppo for about a month now and am really sold on it and the company itself. Great customer support.

Likewise! Superb customer service! They mailed the AIX Audio Calibration disc, as well as a Blue Filter for the Spears & Munsil HD calibration disc, to all who had previously purchased the BDP-83. I'm thrilled with mine, and they are receiving accolades across the board in all the reviews I've seen, including the current Sept issue of Home Theater Magazine.

good to know guys, for if I have the funds in order to update my family room HT set-up this fall / winter the BDP-83 is high on my list !

FWIW, several people, including me, have noted problems with the Master Audio bitstream test on the AIX disc. it plays at a really low level. All of the other tests are fine.

FWIW, several people, including me, have noted problems with the Master Audio bitstream test on the AIX disc. it plays at a really low level. All of the other tests are fine.

I think I read that issue was limited to a specific receiver (? Onkyo). All the tracks work great via HDMI into my Denon 3808CI.

I need to chime in here.The PQ I am getting on my !02" Firehawk thrown by an Optoma HD80 being sourced from my BDP 083 is stellar. I've had no issues whatsoever with Bitstream DTS MA through my Integra DTC 9.8.

I returned home from diving in Grand Cayman this past week to find my Disc and eye filters in the mail. What a great company!

Anyone considering a jump into Bluray or an upgrade MUST consider this player.....

Funny, because they don't work with my Denon 3808CI :)

Here's how my BDP-83 is set up. HDMI Audio needs to be set to LPCM to avoid the dropout with the DTS-HD Master tracks. In Bitstream mode, there is a 20+ dB dropoff. Not sure where the fault lies... AIX, Oppo, or the receiver end.

The great thing about the Oppo is that you can change audio (and video) settings on the fly for testing/demo purposes!

Attachments

• Oppo (Small).jpg
    Oppo (Small).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 621
another satisfied Oppo BDP-83 owner. Absolutely no problems with any of the decoding through a Rotel 1560 AVR.

Count me as another BDP-83 owner that is more than satisfied. I was part of the Early Adopter Program and Oppo support was phenomanal.

I bought my second BDP-83 for the Master Bedroom HT system, for the money I don't think there is anything else that even comes close.

Here's how my BDP-83 is set up. HDMI Audio needs to be set to LPCM to avoid the dropout with the DTS-HD Master tracks. In Bitstream mode, there is a 20+ dB dropoff. Not sure where the fault lies... AIX, Oppo, or the receiver end.

Yeah, that was kind of my point, it should work in both PCM and Bitstream. I honestly don't know whether the receiver or the player has a better decoder, and it may just be angels dancing on pins in any case, but I would expect the format to decode properly.

Hi. I work for AIX. Maybe I can help.

It seems to work just fine for us. Now there has been a lot of confusion generated by our decision to lower the downmix coef. of the 7.1 DTSHD-MA channel ID as much as possible to prevent people from playing a 7.1 ID test on a 5.1 system (or a system set to 5.1). On the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 ID test we were able to include a verbal warning, but DTS-MA does not allow separate files, so we just made it quiet. We regret not explaining this decision on the disc or packaging. Please only use these tests if you have a 7.1 system.

It does work. (Make sure you have secondary audio off).

Please feel free to contact me.

Just ordered one!

Just ordered an Oppo BDP-83 and am finally gonna get rid of my cheesy Sony DVD/SACD/CD changer.. yay!:music:

I plan on feeding 2 channel output (Redbook CDs) out of the Oppo and into my PS Audio Digital Link III DAC.

Last edited:
The BDP-83 received an A+ designation in the current S'phile list of recommended gear (p. 71, based on it's HDMI performance vs. analog outs), but Redbook CD playback through an outboard DAC is also excellent. They call it "the most complete and truly 'universal' player [handling] Blu-ray, DVD, CD, DVD-A and SACD."

Which Statement D2 do you have Tom...the D2V2?...if not you may want to run 7.1 analog out of the 83 using it to decode DTS Master Audio and DDHD.

You'll love the 83. I'm about to order a second one for my Family room so I can decode MA and DDHD which my existing Denon receiver won't because of it's age.

Last edited:
Got my Oppo on Friday... Opened it up Saturday and then hooked it all up yesterday..

I must say that just opening the box, I was impressed by how much attention to detail they put into how this is packed. It has a re-usable grocery bag inside that the unit is slid into as well as a nice box for the components. also inside was the AIX Audio Calibration disc, as well as a Blue Filter for the Spears & Munsil HD calibration disc... Nice.

Got it all hooked up into my Anthem D2 processor via HDMI and am using optical output to feed redbook CD information into my outboard DAC.

BluRays seem to load faster than my PS3 and the menuing and remote are much more intuitive than the PS3. I popped the BluRay version of Bruce Lee's "Enter the Dragon" and the picture and sound quality was nice.

Time to test an SACD. I configured the Oppo to play SACDs thru the HDMI cable, which is convenient. Keane's SACD multichannel "Hopes & Fears" played nicely very nicely. Good channel separation.

A redbook CD sounded great thru the PS Audio DLIII DAC as well..

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase... and of course the price is unbeatable.:music:

Don't forget to connect it to the Net, and make sure you have the latest firmware! The latest official release was just 9/30!

Latest posts

Back