I am now spiked !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FISH_MAN

Reaction score
I just felt like sharing this as a few of you have commented that you would never place your speakers on a floating tile such as the ones that are in my system pics.I have always liked the look of the Logans on a tile when they are used in a room with carpet this also protects from the helpful "girlfriend" that want to vacume around your speakers :eek: well after much deliberation I thought I would trust in the knowledge of the audio Gods but with my own twist I have constructed 20" x 20" x 1/2" plate steal spiked platforms that way 56lbs each.
I drilled holes in the corners and used the spikes that came with my spires feeding them through and screwing the jam nut on the top side. these are super solid and really stable after standing on them and crushing them into the floor I placed my speakers on them I now have the stability I wanted with the ability to make small placement tweaks without the hassle of conventional spikes. the speakers are clearly more stable now and the midrange is tightened up and a bit more crisp as if that where possible.
if the mods wish to move this to the DIY section that is cool but I figured I would post it here first as it deals directly with the speakers so I figured it was OK.
sorry for the bad pic they look a lot sweeter in person I tried to chop it as best I could so it would not use much space. the pic also makes it look as if the speaker is hanging of the back this is not the case however there is plenty of room all around.

Attachments

• spiked.jpg
    spiked.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Looks nice Fish! It looks like you drilled holes for the spikes? You might think of installing Heli-coils in the holes to assist in leveling the plate if it becomes necessary.

Gordon

Ah, so that's what the thread is about, fishy guy ! When I saw the title I thought someone had seized you and poured some booze down your gullet ! :D

What do you have between the speakers and the base ?

That looks very nice. I think it's a very good idea to add stability to your MLs. That's what I would do if my speakers were on carpet.

Last edited:
this weekend hopefully I will be taking more advise from you all and am moving all of my remainder equipment that is in the front between my spires to the back. I think this will open up the sound stage a bit and allow me to more placement versatility .the only thing that I think sucks about this is that I will not be able to look at my gear as I listen to it. this will however make connections much more accessible and clean things up a bit.the only thing I will need is a stand for my center channel do you guys have any suggestions? once all of this is done I will update the pics in the members system.

Last edited:
Ah, so that's what the thread is about, fishy guy ! When I saw the title I thought someone had seized you and poured some booze down your gullet ! :D

What do you have between the speakers and the base ?

the standard aluminum legs that come with the spires that have the rubber bumpers on the bottoms of them I know this technically makes them still not spiked but they are a 200% more stable than before that rubber they use is really pretty hard and not thick and kind of makes them grip the surface of the steel.

BTW I do think it's time for some booze and black pizza tonight

I have recently put my Summits on top of sandstone blocks themselves spiked into the floor. This has increased stability as I don't think the Summit spikes penetrate the carpet all the way down to the floor.

It has also raised the height of the speakers by about 4 inches. The panel is vertical using the custom spikes and I like the effect of the extra height which lifts the soundstage.

Has anybody else tried raising the height of their Summits?

Please explain how you used spikes with that type of stone?

Please explain how you used spikes with that type of stone?

Drilled holes in the stone of about the length of the spike threaded section. I then pushed the spikes into each hole. The hard bit was lifting the sandstone up 2 flights of stairs.

Back