Amp question for Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diagolos

Reaction score
I am buying the Vantage soon. Now I wonder what kind of amp to use. But i have barrowed it to two very differerent ones. The first one is Muse Electronics 300 Monoblocks (http://www.museelectronics.com/index.html ). Its an older model, but according to Muse it will handle the vantage good. No prob with the dip at 20khz.

The other one is a pretty one. Its Kora Cosmos. ( http://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/1201kora/index.html ) . I like tubes and think ML and tubes are magic. But not sure if the Cosmos will hanlde Vantage. Alltough good enough power, the test in Stereophile indicates it dont like low impdedances.

What do u good ppl have to say about this ? Very thanbkful for good advice! :bowdown:

Congrats on the soon to be Vantage purchase, with regards to amplification choice I bet they will both sound sweet, therefore let YOUR ears decide, play music and enjoy the smile it will put on your face !! :music:

Don't know anything about either amp, but my inclination is to go for brawn over beauty. Even with the Vantages.

Congrats on the soon to be Vantage purchase, with regards to amplification choice I bet they will both sound sweet, therefore let YOUR ears decide, play music and enjoy the smile it will put on your face !! :music:

Thanks man :D. I am only afraid the Cosmos will have a malfuction if I use it on the Vantage ...Otherwise, I am all :music:

Don't know anything about either amp, but my inclination is to go for brawn over beauty. Even with the Vantages.

So you say 2x300 transistor watts is better then 2x100 class A tube watts ?

So you say 2x300 transistor watts is better then 2x100 class A tube watts ?

Not necessarily. It really depends on the circuit topologies and the quality of the power supplies and output stages of both amps (and the quality of the tubes in the tube amp). But generally speaking, I think a quality solid state amp is going to exert more control over the panels and give you better dynamics than a tube amp. I also think the signal going to the bass will probably be cleaner, resulting in better bass response out of the Vantages' bass amp/woofer combination.

But who knows:confused: The tubes could sound glorious to your ears on the Vantages. Different people look for different things out of their systems. I don't doubt that this tube amp can run the Vantages fine. You might get some high frequency roll-off, you might get looser bass response, you might get lower dynamics than you would with the solid state amp. But you could get a glorious midrange and PRAT that more than makes up for it.

I am buying the Vantage soon. Now I wonder what kind of amp to use. But i have barrowed it to two very differerent ones. The first one is Muse Electronics 300 Monoblocks (http://www.museelectronics.com/index.html ). Its an older model, but according to Muse it will handle the vantage good. No prob with the dip at 20khz.

The other one is a pretty one. Its Kora Cosmos. ( http://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/1201kora/index.html ) . I like tubes and think ML and tubes are magic. But not sure if the Cosmos will hanlde Vantage. Alltough good enough power, the test in Stereophile indicates it dont like low impdedances.

What do u good ppl have to say about this ? Very thanbkful for good advice! :bowdown:

I have no experience with the two amps you mention so I can't comment. But I did have a pair of Vantages here for a week last year, and they sounded great with my PrimaLuna ProLogue 7 tube monoblocks. They have a 2 Ohm tap, which helps with electrostats. If you can find a local dealer, give them a try!

Diagolos,
This topic has been discussed many times before. Please do search for more information. Here are a couple of threads on this topic of matching amplifiers to ML Vantages:
  1. Amp upgrade?
  2. Bought some Vantages

Only YOU can decide which one will sound best for your system.

Good luck
Spike

Hello,
I too own Vantages and highly recommend them. I have used a number of different amplifiers with them. I would imagine in Norway, you have access to some interesting choices. Due to the speakers efficiency, using tubes is possible. Much of this will be predicated your room size and the types of music you most enjoy.

If the Stereophile report indicates the Kora does not do well with low impedance, I would look for a different amplifier. If planning to stay with tubes, Rogue Audio makes some wonderful gear. Here is the info for the Danish distributor:
Vassog Hi-Fi
Kronhjortlokken 226
5210 Odense, NV
tel: 45 65942611
email: [email protected]

I personally prefer solid state amplification. Many here have had excellent experiences with Plinius and Pass Labs just to name two. I have been primarily using Aragon and Parasound amplification of late and have been quite pleased. Parasound's Halo line offers excellent value. The JC-1 Monoblocks are awesome. In addition, the Halo A21 would do quite well.
Cheers,
ML

If your in Norway theirs a local company by the name of Electrocompaniet that makes some pretty good front end gear, and by pretty good I mean crapping my pants and hearing the voice of god when powering a pair of CLS. I do hope Craig chimes in, seeing as it was his system, but to quote him and agree with him, its as close to tube as solid state can get. The amps I heard where the Nemos, which Stereophile reviewed and had no negatives to point out. As far as power goes, they pump 600w into 8ohms and 1200w into 4ohms pure class A, and despite their size are quite stunning to look at, with glass front panels that remind me of Mcintosh's more elegant designs. If your looking for more modest, my Cambridge audio 840W takes excellent command of my Vantages at a sub $3,000 price. Rather than toot my own horn I would say to check out the numerous reviews done on that product (TAS, and secrets of Home theater and high fidelity had two of the best).

If your in Norway theirs a local company by the name of Electrocompaniet that makes some pretty good front end gear, and by pretty good I mean crapping my pants and hearing the voice of god when powering a pair of CLS.

Yeah, I had some Electros (AW 120) on my Ascents for a while. Very good amps indeed. Great recommendation.

Last edited:
Electrocompaniet, or EC as we call it in Norway I know good ( http://www.electrocompaniet.no/ ) . Their sound warm and abit dark. Good amps.. Seems like ppl here prefer solidstate and not tubes. Alltough Rouge is mentioned. And I think Rouge is very good too. I have to think a little more on this. :music:

Does anyone know what kind of amps ML uses voicing their speakers ?

If memory serves me correctly ...two years ago while on the plant tour they were using Pass and or Halcro I believe.

If memory serves me correctly ...two years ago while on the plant tour they were using Pass and or Halcro I believe.

Pass and Halcro. Very neutal transistor amps. That shoulf tell me something.. Ty :bowdown:

Actually, I think I remember that they were using a Parasound amp for the demo with the Summits, Dave. At shows, they often seem to use Mcintosh SS amps.

Latest posts

Back