Audition opinion on stylos needed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goaway

Reaction score
Hi,

I am not yet a ML owner, but I am offered an used pair of Stylos from a friend in Houston.

I did a search on the net and MLC as well, and got nothing too useful in my decision. I have never heard an electrostatic speaker before, and would really want to have your expert opinion on the Stylos.

In addition, what is the current market value of an used pair of more than 15 years old?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Way

Stylos was ML's first attempt at a home theater (ie surround) speaker. They are very rare and very hard to find anyone who's had any experience with them. I do know that ML still can make panels for the Stylos, so if you get them for a good price, buy them.

Last edited:
I had a pair for 5 years. They were mostly relegated to side speaker duty in a 5.1 system. I did use them in a separate room and really enjoyed them. They are mellow sounding and very easy to listen to. I gave them to my grandson and he loves them.

I don't think ML sold many of them but, I wasn't sorry to have bought mine.

I have 4 Stylos in my home theater and have had them since 1996. Last year I replaced the panels and the 6 inch woofers and they now sound as good as new.

They are really nice when integrated with a subwoofer. One of the things that makes there design good for Home Theater is the fact that you can mount them on the wall and they have an absorbtion material that lets them work well on the wall catching the rear wave.

As for pricing I have seen them priced from 600 to 900 per pair and some times just a little more depending on condition. Since you can get new panels and woofers from ML they really can be a good deal. But that is if you get them at the right price and use them for on wall applications with a good integrated sub woofer.

The more important question might be what kind of mounting bracket do they come with used. The original Stylos came with two brackets, a full-length on-wall bracket and a stand-alone floor mount type that allowed the Stylos to stand out from the wall. Either case good luck and it might be nice to go somewhere and listen to some Martin Logan electrostats so you at least know what kind of sound you are pursuing.

Last edited:
Back