Advice for new ML owner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niko

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got some new speakers recently and I'm looking for some advice on a receiver for my (soon to be) HT 5.1 system.
I have the following so far:
2 Montages (front L/R)
1 Vignette (Center)
1 Dynamo (Sub)
eventually I'll be grabbing the rears (no pun intended) when I see a good price.

I'm tired of just looking at the speakers - like most people I'd like to listen to them:music:
I have no amp/receiver so they're just sitting in the room looking at me.

Any advice for a decent receiver will be appreciated. My budget isn't very high ($600-900).

Go to Audiogon.com for some used equipment. Your 600 to 900 will get you a used 1200 to 1800 when new unit in most cases. Go for dings and scratches for even more value. Many of these items for sale, especially in receivers, are from people who are upgrading to separates.

Hello,
I would highly recommend either the Onkyo TX-SR805, 875, or 876. I would not recommend the replacement to the TX-SR805, the TX-SR806 as it no longer shares an identical amplifier section to the 1700 and 2000 Dollar respectively TX-SR875 and TX-SR905. The TX-SR806 weighs almost 20 pounds less than the 805 with all the weight taken out of the amplifier section.

If video processing is not super important, the 805 for the price, is without fault. THX Ultra2, HDMI 1.3, True HD, DTS-MA, Audyssey Multeq-XT and most importantly an excellent amplifier section. The downsides are heat buildup and the Faroudja video processor is less than stellar. If you can find the TX-SR875 at your budget, it incorporates the Reon video solution which is excellent. Honestly a decontented Realta video chip which is one of the best currently available.
Cheers,
ML

Excellent advice, guys!:)
Keep 'em coming.
Maybe this will narrow it down, I forgot to mention that I'm using the brand new Oppo BD-83 (Blu Ray) so the video processing should not be done by the receiver (I'm assuming).
Sorry, I don't know much of anything when it comes to audio so all the advice is totally appreciated:bowdown:
I'm willing to go the used route to save some serious bucks, if you guys and gals think it's the smart choice. Never been a fan of Onkyo, although they make some nice sounds for home theater - the music part stank when I had a listen some time ago.
What do you think of some of the Marantz, or would you go for more bang for the buck with Onkyo?
I would like to listen to music sometimes on this system as well.

Hello,
It really has been with the release of the 05 series that Onkyo became a major player again on the AVR market. Check out these reviews: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/onkyo-tx-sr805
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-av-receivers/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr805-receiver.html
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/node/7106
And check out the All Channels Driven from this report: http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/208bwonk/index5.html

If you had ESL Series, I would be somewhat reticent to recommend any receiver. However, The Design Series were designed with AVR's in mind.
And with your BDP-83, you can set the AVR for passthrough which in theory should avoid any redundant processing.

Marantz's are quite nice AVR's. However, to get a Marantz which comes close to meeting the power reserves and connectivity of the 805 you would have to spend in the thousands.

As a middle ground, check out Accessories4less.com. They offer B-Stock Onkyo and Marantz and are a authorized dealer for both preserving warranty.
Good Luck,
ML

Sunfire has been well received within this group, which influenced me enough to purchase a Sunfire amp. Its working out very nicely. As stated, Audiogon is your best bet for bargains.

Do you have a dealer near you where you can audition and get some live advice? That always helps.

Good luck with your search; its definitely a fun time.

First you must decide whether or not you want seperate

amplification from your processing. The advantage I found

is that it allows for more shuffling,tweaking and

experimenting. I would reccommend a sunfire grand 5

channel now on audiogon for about 750.

The problem with a used processer is that it won't have the newest sound decoders you want for your blue ray
stuff,so maybe go with a $200 panasonic for now until
you can save for a newer high end one. the positive being
the amp will last a long long time (hopefully).

thanks again, guys.
I'd like to save some $ and go with an Onkyo but I've heard some (not so good) stories from people I know. Early failures being the issue:( I will still consider them because times have changed since.
I will definitely look into the used market to save some bucks and that suggestion about some live advice is great, there are some dealers in the area where I can listen to the same Logans I have with different receivers.

Also, be sure to check out Outlaw Audio. At the upper end of your price range, you could get brand new separates: model 970 Pre/Pro and model 7075 (7 channels x 75/wpc) power amplifier. They sell direct and make quality gear for a reasonable price.

Set your budget, set your feature list (video codecs, movies only, movies and music, music only, etc.), then go out and find your choice of products.

As you search the site here, you will find most all will recommend eventually getting away from the receivers for the best sound quality with your ML's.

Try to save money now for better amplification and processor later on. Used equipment can get you some very good units too - as noted. You can probably pick up a used processor and amplifier for a little more money (longer term enjoyment) then some of the receivers mentioned.

If your budget is over $1500 than disregard this post and go with used separates. Also of note all my opinions regarding Onkyo do not affect the Integra line as I have no experience with Onkyo's high end cousin.

My experience with Onkyo is mostly one of near disgust. I have sold every model range they have and have never liked their units. High frequencies are beyond bright into the harsh range and base output is dull. Power ratings are over-inflated even by receiver standards, and watching their company reps try to spin specs seems like something out of a Monty Python sketch. I had a chance to buy a new NR-901 for $50 3 years ago and passed. Go for Yamaha Rxv1900 or better or Denon Avr2809 or better (older models at same level in product range are fine). Yamaha tends to excel in 2-channel, defining individual instrumentals better in the sountage. Their units are warmer than Denon's with more punch in the base. Feels like their products output more true current. Denon has a brighter, more enveloping sound. I like Denon's surround performance better, but rate Yamaha my as my favorite receiver line. Marantz is good too, but prefer Denon for receivers (Both are owned by D&M). Pioneer Elites have a very rich sound, I have heard good things about their ice power line, but to note I have seen many service issues with their pieces, although not to the degree of Onkyo. Of course the king of the POS clunkers are Sony receivers, even their ES models. I told clients their 5yr warranty is longest in the industry and you'll need it. A shame because they where the only receiver manufacture that paid me an additional spiff.

Hello,
Again, Onkyo was reborn with the 05 series. In addition to meeting the THX Ultra2 spec, multiple publications have measured the 805 and 875 and they both put out over 100 WPC All Channels Driven. Unlike the Ice Powered Pioneer Elite, which does not even reach 100 watts WPC.

Again, I have not used an AVR for amplification for over a decade, however if needing to use an AVR, the current upper range Onkyo's are tough to beat if price dependent. Moreover, it is only because the OP is using the Design Series that I would recommend any AVR.
ML

Onkyo :puke:

I have never heard good sounds from an Onkyo I would go for Denon first.

I also would look at some of the Outlaw combo's they make nice stuff for the money I know its a bit abouve your budget but it may be worth the stretch or the wait to get some entry level separates.

Last edited:
Let's see. For around 500 Dollars (used) you can get an AVR that has THX Ultra2, Audyssey MultEQ, Burr Brown PCM1796 DAC's, and is HDMI 1.3.

Nifty emoticons aside, the TX-SR805 is one of the best bang for the buck AVR's of all time. While I agree that prior to the 05 series that Onkyo had lost its way, the 05 series onward represent stunning value. To get a Denon that incorporates anything approximating the 805's feature set, thousands would be spent. Again, the amplifier section of the 805 measures over 100 watts ACD.
In fact, the 805 was so good, the replacement 806 was decontented no longer using the identical amplifier section of the much more expensive 875 and 905.
While the TX-SR805 weighed 51 pounds, the TX-SR806 weighs 37.

I handled one of the first 805's to be shipped by Onkyo, to give you an idea the remote had the integra label on it. I know one can get caught in the fancy specs for the price, not to mention the thing weighs a ton for a unit in that price range but the numbers are overstated. A Yamaha claiming 30 watts per channel less took far better command of a pair speakers than that unit did. Where not driving micro satellites, where driving Logan and it's the true power that counts.

"...best bang for the buck AVR's of all time"
All Time?!?!? Okay...if you say so.

All the marketing poop in the world about this and that does not make a component compatible for what a user is looking for in the way of sound.

We are all arguing about how we want something to sound instead of congratulating the user on their new speakers and helping them down their initial path.

For starters using the ATF technology with a receiver is a great place to start. Many different companies to choose from as other noted. But in the end it really does not matter what any of us here think about a receiver and their sound. If the OP likes the sound with their speakers, that is what really matters and they should try it out to see for themselves.

Now when they want to improve their rig in terms of sound quality there are many here to help them in speaker and component upgrades.

I do say so. Thanks. As do many others. I am not denigrating him for using Design Series, rather they present a less challenging load.

Back