Help with CLS IIz Valuation

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbanger

Reaction score
I wanted to get some feedback from the group about the current value of a pair of CLS IIz in excellent (8/10) condition. I'm currently trying to sell my pair and, while I've had some interest, I'm not getting as many inquiries as I would have expected. Of course the poor economy is likely a factor, but I'm wondering if I'm priced too high as well. I see a pair or two priced a bit less than mine as well, and they don't seem to be moving either. FWIW, my pair has oak side rails (more or less desirable than black?) and the panels were manufactured in July 1999 but, to my ears, sound excellent and I don't think they'll need to be replaced any time soon. So, what is the market value of these IIzs?

Hi BB,

In these times, whatever someone is willing to pay.

I've seen some on the Gon, in good condition, for about $2K.

GG

Hi BB,

In these times, whatever someone is willing to pay.

I've seen some on the Gon, in good condition, for about $2K.

GG

$2K seems to be what some people are asking. A year or two ago, I would have thought that was quite a bargain, yet the speakers don't seem to be selling at that price now. Sign of the times I suppose...

I'd throw them in the club classified section if I were you. It's free, takes little time and you might generate some extra interest.

Money is tight. I almost bought a pair for $2500. I went through the trouble of contacting ML and asking the gentleman to drive them here (no boxes AND THAT IS A BIG PROBLEM FOR A BUYER). We were to split his costs. Well, my house has become a money pit this year (that and I am particular to get things really fixed before retirement).

I then contacted a fellow club member about a pair that he had which we think needed some work. We worked it out that he would send them to Ken Ealey and then Ealey would do what was necessary and send them to me (this was going to be much less than the first pair I examined). Did I say my house has become a money pit? :eek:

So times are tough.

Also consider that the CLS is an old speaker and there can be many things wrong with a pair. Quite often we don't notice the flaws because they occur slowly over time and we grow used to them. Who wants to buy a twenty year old speaker with potential problems? Remember it costs $1500 to replace the panels and about $500 to upgrade the electronics, if you can't do it yourself. :( I do, but not many of the ordinary public do.

Consider this at 1999 panels they may sound good on Monday and be shot on Tuesday. Its the way of the Logan. Sorry to say with out New panels you gonna get low ball offers. New panels are $1500 . That being said you can not get a set of new speakers for under $10,000 to do what the CLS can do when set up properly !

I'd throw them in the club classified section if I were you. It's free, takes little time and you might generate some extra interest.

I had them there a while back, but didn't get any bites. Maybe I'll try again...

Money is tight. I almost bought a pair for $2500. I went through the trouble of contacting ML and asking the gentleman to drive them here (no boxes AND THAT IS A BIG PROBLEM FOR A BUYER).

I can give you a better deal than that. And I've got the original shipping boxes :D

I have a pair that I might be selling also I figure the fact that new panels went up $600 the resale value took a big hit.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I just sold the speakers to a local buyer today. The buyer didn't want the Sound Anchor stands that I also have, so if anyone wants those, they're up for sale...

I have a pair that I might be selling also I figure the fact that new panels went up $600 the resale value took a big hit.

Yup, I think that has hurt resale. I had someone very interested in my speakers a couple of weeks ago, but he got turned off when ML told him the cost of a repanel went up to $1500.

Back