Clarity vs. Source

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jam

Reaction score
Hi everybody. New guy to ML. Wanted to ask members what are your thoughts are on Clarity vs. Source? Are they about the same in terms of sound? I'll be auditioning a pair of each this weekend but in totally different venues. The Clarity are used and in someone's home while the Source are new at BestBuy/Magnolia.

This would be my first pair of ML speakers so any guidance or advice is really, really welcome.

Thanks!

I tried them in the same room (albeit at opposite ends of the room) at a Magnolia. It was too long ago for me to give you good details about the differences, but the Source was definitely better.

I think I would have to say that the Magnolia/Best Buy sound room demos with the Clarity, sounded better then the ones with the Source based on how Best Buy had them set up while I worked there. The only problem was the Clarity was on a dedicated reciever with a dedicated Depth while the Source was on the main sound wall with receivers set to default settings of small for mains and not very integrated with the subs. So honestly I cant say it was a fair way of hearing them when I was there. Mainly because of the need to switch between micro speakers and towers for home theater demos with subs maxed lol. I do think the Clarity sounded better without a sub then the Source. I would compare the sound more to the Purity then the Source, but that is just my opinion. Not sure if that helped ...but thought I would share my observations on how I have seen them hooked up in BB.
Either way enjoy either choice as you cant really go wrong with Logans :music:

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. It definitely came in handy. I ended up going with the Clarity. I auditioned both the Clarity and the Source and just enjoyed the Clarity pair more. The difference wasn't huge but they did sound better to me -- slightly fuller with a little more detail. Also the construction felt more solid to me. Plus, aesthetically they're just gorgeous. I got them second hand but got lucky and was able to also pick up a Grotto, a Fresco and a pair of Passages, all in mint/near-mint condition from the same owner for about the price of the Source pair.

Congrats Jam!!
I'm sure that you'll enjoy them immensely.. (pretty similar setup to my system).. I did look at the Source but could not get past the build quality compared to the Clarity.. the did sound sweet though as they were hooked up to a McIntosh integrated & CD.
Post pics of your system when you get it all setup.

Thanks MickeyVee!

I know what you mean. I was really having a hard time with the build of the Source. They're great speakers but the construction doesn't feel as solid or look as good to me (not to disparage any members here -- you know, we each like what we like).

It's kind of funny but I owe you a thank you. When I was doing my research I poked around the section with the members' systems to get an idea of how the Clarity pair would, more or less, work into my set up. Up to now I've been running Focals in the living room and Monitor Audio in my office, so despite spending a good portion of my adult life wanting MLs, this is my first pair.

Well, your setup was one of the ones that helped me form an opinion and really moved me towards the Clarity. So, thank you!

Back