Mapleshade heavyfeet under CLSs-NO!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raanan

Reaction score
Knowing that CLSs(with an additional sub+ tweeters) were in use at Mapleshade,I decided to heed the recommendation of Mapleshade's VP and try heavyfeet under my CLSs.
Compared to the ETC spikes that had been in use until the Heavyfeet arrived,sound with the Heavyfeet sounded subjectively fuller,but definitely much much slower in response,shut in in a nasal sort of way.I then experimented with changing speaker placement and removing some of the Sonex in my room,but nothing could restore a semblance of the natural sound that I get with the ETCs.
My conclusion-definitely not a match.BTW,in other constellations -under my Coincident Victorys and under components I could not anything positive about the effect of the Heavyfeet.Oh,well.

Do these feet screw in like the ETC type feet? Or is the speaker just resting on top? I wouldn't think that feet would make that much difference in sound.

Do these feet screw in like the ETC type feet? Or is the speaker just resting on top? I wouldn't think that feet would make that much difference in sound.

they screw in with the same 1/4 20 thread as the original spikes and the ETCs.I have also tried polycrystal cones,which mate very well with the CLSs.
You won't believe how much of a difference the feet make.With the Mapleshade feet in place,I considered the CLSs unpleasant to listen to.
I must add that I am using them from 160 cps. and up with a subwoofer.Crossover point is high,because of the room.Amp for the CLS is an ARC VS-110 with Gold Lion reissues,and upgraded small signal tubes.Source is an EMT 950 with TSD-15 cartridge.

I'd definitely question raanan's apparent generalization regarding the effectiveness of the cones.

I've used the MS brass cones in various places over the years.

They worked very well under my SL3's, amplifier, and preamp. Also effective in my modest 5.1 system. Have them under my Denon receiver and Polk sub.

Not so well in other locations such as my CDP.

Like everything else, let your ears determine what sounds better or worse.

GG

My sense is that raanan's cones may not be firmly "coupled" to the sub - floor. If that is the case, it would definitely cause the deficiency he is describing.

Last edited:
I'd definitely question raanan's apparent generalization regarding the effectiveness of the cones.

I've used the MS brass cones in various places over the years.

They worked very well under my SL3's, amplifier, and preamp. Also effective in my modest 5.1 system. Have them under my Denon receiver and Polk sub.

Not so well in other locations such as my CDP.

Like everything else, let your ears determine what sounds better or worse.

GG[

Gordon,I had SL3s in my bedroom system for a number of years-great speakers,but probably one of the more forgiving MLs.
OTOH,CLSs are a tough nut indeed,and I have definitely had a love hate relationship with them for the past 20 years.Indeed,I wasn't happy with them for a great part of those 20 years,but when you make enough mistakes,you're bound to learn something.
Taming/aiding resonances is one of the trickier aspects of audio experimentation.
So far the only situation in which the MS heavy cones acquitted themselves with aplomb was between (under) my open frame TD-124 plinth and the Mana frame underneath it.
Under the CLSs and under the Coincident speakers(to a much lesser degree)highs were overly attenuated and the sound lost resolution to the point of being smeared.Whereas with the ETC spikes under the CLSs-no lack of resolution.
Raanan

raanan,

I also had the CLS2A's in the past. I know what you mean.

I trust you are hearing the effect correctly. I've heard the same under some components but have had marvelous results with the hardware cited in my post above.

The improvements they made when I put them under the amp was nothing short of astounding.

It is a "hit and miss" proposition.

GG

raanan,

I trust you are hearing the effect correctly. I've heard the same under some components but have had marvelous results with the hardware cited in my post above.

The improvements they made when I put them under the amp was nothing short of astounding.

Gordon,
I appreciate your pointing me in the direction of trying the MS heavyfeet under my amps.Will post if results are positive.Raanan

raanan,

Gordon,
I appreciate your pointing me in the direction of trying the MS heavyfeet under my amps.Will post if results are positive.Raanan

Propelled by your suggestion,I tried some under my Nardi phono preamp-with great results.
Raanan

Triplepoints or flat?

Hey guys,

I've been reading your exchanges with interest. I have a Mapleshade rack and use the triplepoints and regular heavy feet.

I recently replaced the triplepoints under my CD player (MF-A5) with Audiopoints and I prefer the Audiopoints. The music is less hard, more listenable highs, without loosing any detail. It somehow sounds less "digital".

The triplepoints under my TT platform were too much and also made the music too hard, plus they transferred vibrations. The isoblocks (cut in half) work much better.

One thing I have noticed about most of the Mapleshade products including their wires and footers is that they reinforce leading edge transients and heighten the treble. I think that is based on Pierre Sprey's listening biases. You'll notice his CD's sound that way as well.

Dave

Hey guys,

I've been reading your exchanges with interest. I have a Mapleshade rack and use the triplepoints and regular heavy feet.

I recently replaced the triplepoints under my CD player (MF-A5) with Audiopoints and I prefer the Audiopoints. The music is less hard, more listenable highs, without loosing any detail. It somehow sounds less "digital".

The triplepoints under my TT platform were too much and also made the music too hard, plus they transferred vibrations. The isoblocks (cut in half) work much better.

One thing I have noticed about most of the Mapleshade products including their wires and footers is that they reinforce leading edge transients and heighten the treble. I think that is based on Pierre Sprey's listening biases. You'll notice his CD's sound that way as well.

Dave

At least he is consistent in his preferences.One of the well known tricks of tube afficianados is to mix tubes in order to get a balanced sound,in an attempt to avoid getting too much of a good thing.
In that respect 2 possible candidates for mixing with MS are polycrystal cones and BGRs.

MS Heavyfeet under power amp-very very good!

After initially being disappointed with the Heavyfeet under my CLSs-resulting in smeared sluggish sound,I tried 3 heavyfeet under my ARC VS-110,instead of the giant Polycrystal cones previously used,and the results are very good indeed.The thinnish ephemeral sound of the CLS is now more solid and weighty without the drawback of sluggishness.I'll see how I feel about the change after a few more days.

After extended listening:Under the amp-a big no

After initially being disappointed with the Heavyfeet under my CLSs-resulting in smeared sluggish sound,I tried 3 heavyfeet under my ARC VS-110,instead of the giant Polycrystal cones previously used,and the results are very good indeed.The thinnish ephemeral sound of the CLS is now more solid and weighty without the drawback of sluggishness.I'll see how I feel about the change after a few more days.

Although I was impressed by the gain in bass definition and resolution,after extended listening:placing the heavyfeet under my tube amp results in a pronounced softening and bloating of attacks and almost complete loss of PRAT.Altogether-a disappointment.Win some,lose the rest.

Raanan,

For me, it was the exact opposite.

Anyway, to respond to Dave's comments, I have owned the "Golden parallel plus" (25' length) and the "Double helix plus" (16' length) speaker wire, the "Excalibur plus" interconnects, the "Double helix power cords", the "biwire jumpers", and the brass cones (various sizes). I also treat all my cd's and dvd's with "mikro-smooth", "optrix", and the "ionoclast" static remover.

I also have several MS cd's, which I consider in the top tier for sound quality.

My impression of the MS wire is that it is fast, clean, and transparent. The down side is that the wire is "voiced" on the light side of the sonic equation. They will mate well with a system that may be a bit on the "heavy" side of the spectrum.

I subsequently bought the DH Labs "revelation" interconnects and the "DQ 10 signature" speaker cables. This wire was very close to the best characteristics that MS offers but has more mid bass / lower bass weight.

In my somewhat lively room, the DH Labs was a better match.

The cones work well to very well in some applications but not in others. See my above post for the details.

I still consider MS products, despite Pierre's marketing, to be a real value and will offer great quality (depending on your system) at a very reasonable price.

GG

Raanan,

For me, it was the exact opposite.

Anyway, to respond to Dave's comments, I have owned the "Golden parallel plus" (25' length) and the "Double helix plus" (16' length) speaker wire, the "Excalibur plus" interconnects, the "Double helix power cords", the "biwire jumpers", and the brass cones (various sizes). I also treat all my cd's and dvd's with "mikro-smooth", "optrix", and the "ionoclast" static remover.

I also have several MS cd's, which I consider in the top tier for sound quality.

My impression of the MS wire is that it is fast, clean, and transparent. The down side is that the wire is "voiced" on the light side of the sonic equation. They will mate well with a system that may be a bit on the "heavy" side of the spectrum.

I subsequently bought the DH Labs "revelation" interconnects and the "DQ 10 signature" speaker cables. This wire was very close to the best characteristics that MS offers but has more mid bass / lower bass weight.

In my somewhat lively room, the DH Labs was a better match.

The cones work well to very well in some applications but not in others. See my above post for the details.

I still consider MS products, despite Pierre's marketing, to be a real value and will offer great quality (depending on your system) at a very reasonable price.

GG

The results that I received ,both with the CLSs and under my ARC VS-110,are strange indeed.On the one hand,with the heavyfeet under the amp,the sound cleaned up,especially the mid bass,but the price was slow attacks.As I consider the transients of the CLSs to be part of their charm and raison d'etre of ownership,after 2-3 hours of having the heavyfeet under the amp,I went back to the big Polycrystal cones with a great feeling of relief.

The results that I received ,both with the CLSs and under my ARC VS-110,are strange indeed.On the one hand,with the heavyfeet under the amp,the sound cleaned up,especially the mid bass,but the price was slow attacks.As I consider the transients of the CLSs to be part of their charm and raison d'etre of ownership,after 2-3 hours of having the heavyfeet under the amp,I went back to the big Polycrystal cones with a great feeling of relief.

I am also a great admirer of the Mapleshade CDs,which are amongst the best that I have ever heard in the medium-proof of Pierre's good taste and marvelous ears.Would that I could say the same about the heavyfeet.

Back