need info on Montage and what good price would be for used purchase

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agladstone

Reaction score
Hello everyone and thank you in advance for helping me with this question.

I currently have a Fresco I as my center channel and I just bought two Encore TF's for my front L/R to replace Dahlquist DQ-12's that I have that I could not get to match tone with the Fresco (They are in perfect condition and I am selling for $400 for the pair if anyone wants these classics?).

Anyhow, I have just come across a used pair of Montage's that I can buy for $450 for the pair.
My questions are:
1. How good are the Montages?
2. Are the Encore TF's better than the Montages as Front L/R?
3. If I buy them, should I move the Encore's to the rear or keep as front and use the Montage for rear (I have all ready hung the Encores and the sound really great for the money!, but I could patch the holes).
4. What is a good price to pay for the Montage pair? They were 1500 originally and they are 3 years old, should I try to get down to $350?

Thanks for all your input/ help!!

Allen

The price is right and for ATF driver speakers they should match from a tonal perspective quite well with your other ATF speakers.

As to placement, try both front and rear and see which one you like. They might be close to the same thing and they might not.

And finally, your current ATF speakers will come close to matching up with your next ML purchase, even if it is an ESL.:D

Thank you for your input, very helpful!
I was actually able to negotiate down to $300 for the pair, so I can not go wrong!

The Encore's sound great with my Fresco i for home theater, but they lack something for music compared to my Dahlquist DQ's I was using before, so I am hopeful they will sound better for music.

Could I use both the Montage's and the Encore's as Front L/R and have one pair set as Front B or would this be ridiculous? I kind of feel like the rear surround's are not too important and thus my current Infinity Reference towers I am using are fine and I would rather use the the Encores and the Montages in the front, but I have never heard of having two different pairs of fronts before?

Thanks again! Hopefully one day I can afford to integrate some ML ESL's into my system, but I think I would need to upgrade my reciever first (I have a brand new Yamaha RXV-863, it is really great but not powerful enough for ESL's).

Allen

Latest posts

Back