Big room or Medium room for Spires?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveneumann

Reaction score
My system is currently in a 12' X 23' X 8' dedicated listening room. It is over my garage and has a angled ceiling (see the picture). The room sounds good, but there are times I wonder if my system wouldn't open up more in a larger room.

I could move to the finished basement and have a large dedicated room about 23' X 40' X 9'. It is carpet over concrete. This would be a dedicated listening room so I could set it up how I want to. The benefit of the larger room is that it would be more suitable for entertaining and getting together with my audio buddies. But I don't want to loose anything from a sound perspective. And before you mention it, no I am not willing to add any subs or even trade up to the CLX.

Before I lug everything down two floors and go through many hours of set-up and tweaking, I wanted to get other's opinions on the potential of the larger room. What do you think? Give it a shot or stay put in my cozy current room?

Current room:

Attachments

• overall view of room.jpg
    overall view of room.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 290
I know this is not the answer you are looking for. However, a basic reality of our hobby is that it is an experience. We all value experiences differently, so try it!

If you are very familiar with the sound of your system, move it to the bigger room for a week or two. See how you like it. As you say, things should open, and the bass should improve also. Will it be worth it to you? You'll be able to tell when you live with it.

Good Luck!

Have you considered re-positioning your speakers in your existing room? Personally, I am not a basement dweller.

If a dedicated in-house room that big was an option for me, I'd leap at it in a heartbeat. Go for it! (Or at least give it a try...)

I am afraid the old adage still applies. You can never be too rich, too thin or have too big of a room for your Spires:D

Seriously, you can always move the system back to the garage room. But my bet is that you will enjoy the sonic benefits of a bigger room, but as always YMMV.

Bottom line you are chasing the Dragon. I know it sounds counter intuitive but it is easier to catch a Dragon in a bigger room.:devil:

Room Size

I have my Spires set up on the short wall of a 26x14x8 room, this is where I've had all my previous speakers setup (except Quads 2805...which did not like that placement). I sit ~11' from the front of the speakers.
After listening to a friend's system ( he sits nearfield ~5' from speakers), I moved the Spires to the long wall and was now~8' from the fronts. The result was an experience of more resolution and hearing the finer sounds
of finger snaps, rustling of paper, slight going on's at the rear of the recording site, etc.
So essentially it was like moving closer to get a better seat at a concert.

At the other end of the room is a nook similar to yours (~10' deep) and I have tried the speakers there with the speakers out as far as they would go.
The sound was exceptional, with the speakers completely disapearing and the soundstage at the back of the nook...I was in heaven!
Naturally there was a problem, some of you may even have the same problem.
It's called the wife (also called other things sometimes :rolleyes:)
She does not like it when I move the living room around to suit my audio.

The question of how the speakers will sound in a larger setting will Haunt you, so you will have to eventually try it. But I think you'll be back to your old habitat.

PS: I don't use a sub with my Spires either, they sound great without one, and yes I have tried two Grotto 'i' subs with them. With the the right amp the Spires's bass is deep/tight and felt with the body.

my spires could use a bigger room. I know there are mathematical ways to calculate room acoustics but when it comes to the human ear it is a bit of luck. I would go for it Logans love big rooms to breath!

I think the base will be much bigger in that new room

Last edited:
Big! Big Room!
Once you hear the difference, every other room is just a closet. Don't worry, your spires will fill it easily.

If you can go for the bigger room, that will be good, but you may end up needing the sub after all and you will lose some of the ability of your system to play as loud as it does in the small room.

However, the further you can get the Spires away from the side walls, the more you will be rewarded with a bigger soundstage and that may be enough!

I agree with others that you will get much better sound out of your system in the larger room, not to mention more flexibility for setup and seating options. I say go for it. And if you have the time and money to do so, work with someone like Ethan to design an acoustic treatment setup tailored to the size of the room you will be moving to. You could easily end up with a night/day difference in quality of sound.

just remember sometimes bigger rooms (or any room) really need some wall treatments to sound the best.
so do not snap to judgment right away.

Last edited:
OK, thanks guys

I dread moving that 110 pound Mac 402 down two flights of steps but you have convinced me! Maybe I can hire my son and his buddy to help me with the big move.

Once everything is set up and dialed in, I'll post my observations and of course some pictures!

Dave

life must be rough having to move all of that mac gear around :cool:

I dread moving that 110 pound Mac 402 down two flights of steps but you have convinced me! Maybe I can hire my son and his buddy to help me with the big move.

Once everything is set up and dialed in, I'll post my observations and of course some pictures!

Dave

I think one of the first things you will observe along with the improvements is the need for some absorption on your rear wall.

Dave

Ha! Moving a 402 is nothing...

I just got a pair of 1.2kw's that have to come in the office tomorrow! And a Gotham sub!. Must eat a good breakfast tomorrow morning....

:)

Jeff,

I thought that was what minions are for.:D

Instead of a big breakfast, you should get underwear with a super tight waist band, tends to keep the hernias under control, or at least from falling on the floor.:eek: Nice visual, hifi gear and hernia parts mixed together.

Hi Dave,
In order to avoid avoid hijacking this Thread please check your "in-box". :D

Kind regards..........................Victor.

Victor...

Did you get my private message responding to your question? I think I sent it but maybe it didn't get through?

Send me an email at [email protected] if you still want that answer. I heard from the US distributor and have some clear answers.

Regards.

Latest posts

Back