What is the Best CD to show off ML Vantages?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattsl3

Reaction score
Hello,
I want to know what you music cds you guys use to show off your ML Vantage Speakers? I am having some friends come over and I want to blow them away with my new purchase!!:rocker:

Thanks,
Matt

first of all be sure to get the center imaging right that usually is enough to freak everybody out! use stuff that is not over produced what kind of music do you like?

BTW there is a section on this website dedicated to music people here like

Hello,
I want to know what you music cds you guys use to show off your ML Vantage Speakers? I am having some friends come over and I want to blow them away with my new purchase!!:rocker:

Thanks,
Matt

Some of my favorite "test" CD's are by "Low": Things We Lost In The Fire, Trust, The Great Destroyer, and Secret Name.
Outstanding dynamics, huge instrumental range, haunting vocals, and some odd effects/unintentional(?) sounds that appear out of the expected soundstage. A real treat too for sub owners if they are set up right.

My go-to reference is the remastered redbook of Cat Stevens' Tea for the Tillerman - amazing how good this old recording can sound. Lately I've also been using Mary Chapin Carpenter's Party Doll. If you want dynamics and some fairly astonishing low-end from those 8" woofers, the MFSL Supertramp eponymous album is hard to beat. Not inexpensive, but may be had via eBay "reasonably" from time to time.

I raised a similar question last year when I bought my Summits. There were several helpful replies, which you might find if you search the website. I was eventually directed to the Recommended Recordings section, which I had not noticed before. I think you'll find what you want there.

Roger Waters / Amused to Death. Q sound.

Start with track no. 8.

If your system is set up properly and you have space (at least 3 to 5') from your speakers to the sidewall and behind your listening chair, be ready to be amazed.

GG

Last edited:
OK, had all the low CD's out today. The one you want is "Long Division".

I'll 2nd GG's recommendation of Amused to Death and add that I also like Lindsey Buckingham / Out of the Cradle, as a great demo as well!

I'm sure this thread will get shut down because of the Recommended Recordings" section of the site.

Still, I use Nils Lofgren - "Acoustic Live" (Track five is a good place to start);

Rebecca Pidgeon - "The Raven" (Spanish Harlem);

Natalie Merchant - "Tigerlilly" (Track three - Beloved Wife)

Bluezeum - "Portrait of a Groove" (Can I get that Funk?)

Ray Brown with John Clayton and Christian McBride Live at Schullers - Super Bass (Track 9? - Brown Funk)

As others have alluded to - it really depends on your taste and the taste of your guests. Case in point - I can see how Amused to Death is a great demo album, but I can't stand it!

The Dead Can Dance "Into the Labyrinth" SACD. You just cannot go wrong with this one. I always put this SACD in when I do a demo.

Thanks Everyone....

I will definitely take a listen to all these recommendations.:music:

Matt

Just another approach...

ask your friends to bring over THEIR music. I have found that when non-audiophiles hear the music they like on my system they find it to be a more enjoyable experience. When it is their music, what they get is how my system creates and presents that music, not how I can 'wow' them with the typcial audiophile sound attributes.

Once they hear a couple of their CDs or records, then I will ask them what else they like and hope I have a good recording of it. Most times I do. Only after listening to their music will I pull out some sonic spectacular like a Direct to Disk mastered LP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back