New Review of Summit X

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliveatfive

Reaction score
Just got this month's issue of HiFi+. It contains a well-written review of the Summit X. The review is by Alan Sircom. What I particularly found instructive was his explanation of the Summit, Summit X differences. One of his major contentions is that the "X" improves on all the stregnths of the CLS, but also improves on all their weaknesses. He says the "X" really makes the CLS an anachronism. As for me, I can't see acquiring an "X" in place of a Summit - possibly a CLX someday.

I don't see the artical in the 09 Aug. issue.

Oops, ARTICLE! :)

Last edited:
there's a lot to be said for the new speaker, but you can still get a nice pair of CLS's for $3000, (including a new pair of panels) and that's an awful lot of magic for a low budget.

I really enjoyed the Summit X, but I think if I were looking for a high quality budget system, I'd get a pair of CLX's or Magnepan 3.6s' and round out a very nice system for around the price of a pair of summit x's...

Different customers, I think.

there's a lot to be said for the new speaker, but you can still get a nice pair of CLS's for $3000, (including a new pair of panels) and that's an awful lot of magic for a low budget.

I really enjoyed the Summit X, but I think if I were looking for a high quality budget system, I'd get a pair of CLX's or Magnepan 3.6s' and round out a very nice system for around the price of a pair of summit x's...

Jeff, If what you wrote were only true!

Jeff,

Speaking of the Magnepan 3.6s... how do they hold up or compare
to the Spires ? The Maggies are a 10 year old design. I've always
been impressed with the 3.6s in the dealer's showroom. They're
just so damn big and inefficient to drive. I've never heard a side
by side comparison with the Logans though.

Sure you do. E-edition available at http://www.hifiplus.com/, where you can buy single issues.

The e-edition subscription fee is absurd, however. At least I think so.

I suppose I should have said inexpensive access! I'd still be interested in a very short summary of findings if anyone would care to provide it.

CCH - I've just read it and you have missed nothing. IMHO, the review is totally boring. It says what all ML reviews (it seems - and has so for decades!) say. Briefly, it waffles on about bass/panel integration, and how they have resolved the issue this time. No - really!:D

I was expecting better.

It does make the point that it is a great speaker. One thing he tries to say is that it blows the CLS away - better in every respect. He also made the point that the CLS exploited a 50Hz resonance to get some bass output. The CLS was described as having "one note bass" by Martin Colloms many years ago.

Last edited:
CCH - I've just read it and you have missed nothing. IMHO, the review is totally boring. It says what all ML reviews (it seems - and has so for decades!) say. Briefly, it waffles on about bass/panel integration, and how they have resolved the issue this time. No - really!:D

I was expecting better.

It does make the point that it is a great speaker. One thing he tries to say is that it blows the CLS away - better in every respect. He also made the point that the CLS exploited a 50Hz resonance to get some bass output. The CLS was described as having "one note bass" by Martin Colloms many years ago.

Sorry, I disagree. In my opinion it is very informative. The review answered questions of mine which have gone unanswered for quite a long time. I've always enjoyed Sircom's style and hope to continue to do so. Chac'un a son gout!

Sorry, I disagree. In my opinion it is very informative. The review answered questions of mine which have gone unanswered for quite a long time. I've always enjoyed Sircom's style and hope to continue to do so. Chac'un a son gout!

I'm really unimpressed with what has happened to hi-fi+. If you'd like to see it challenged, with statements from Alan himself, check this out: http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=42084&forum_id=1

Enjoy.

I'm really unimpressed with what has happened to hi-fi+. If you'd like to see it challenged, with statements from Alan himself, check this out: http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=42084&forum_id=1

Enjoy.

I guess the takeover by Absolute Multimedia has not made you a happy man. Quite frankly, I think the quality of the new mag (since the ownership changed) exceeds that of TAS from time to time. There has been a sharing of writers which I suppose is predicated by the terrible economy. But all in all, I do not think the transition has been unsuccessful. BTW, I have been reading the British HIFi mags for many years and I subscribe to at least 3 of them.

Briefly, it waffles on about bass/panel integration, and how they have resolved the issue this time. No - really!:D

I was expecting better.

Great point, Justin. I can't imagine any review of ML's not mentioning this, as long as the company exists, or any hybrid electrostat for that matter. How good is the actual integration? Vantage is better than the Ascent. Spire is better than Vantage/ Summit generation. Are these incremental changes worth the extra money? People can talk and write all they want about it. The truth is that you can't really tell without listening.

The only speakers that I have heard that get it right are SoundLab, CLX, and JansZen. After hearing those, every speaker sounds disjointed. It's better not hear these, or your own speaker will never sound the same to you...

Also, we did a Summit/ CLX comparison at Wayne's house a while back. For my taste, I thought the Summit beat CLX on all dimensions other than the huge soundstage.

Back