using the Descent i in my 2CH system..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ES347

Reaction score
I am planning to add a sub to my 2CH system. The system is MAC electronics and VSA VR5 Anniversary speakers. I notice that the Descent i has no high pass filter. How does one best connect it in a 2CH system that has no bass management? I would also like to hear comments from others using it in a 2CH application. Thanks.

High Pass Filter Frequencies: Bypass, 40Hz, 70Hz

Listed on ML site and in the Manual (on ML Site)

My experience with Descent

Hi,

I have a Descent (non i) in my 2 channel system and battled this issue for a long time. There are all types of opinions on how to integrate a sub:

- My Descent does not have a high pass crossover network and I would not want to run my mains through another set of electronics

- Typical recommendation is to run a good quality Y-cable out of your preamplifier (one set of cables to your Descent and one set to your poweramp). You could have one custom made with one long cable to the sub and one short to the poweramp

- Best solution: I purchased a Placette preamp which has two sets of outputs, so a Y-cable is not necessary. The passive preamp is relatively inexpensive and if it does not have two sets of outputs, Guy will likely be willing to customize one

I have owned a lot of subs and the Descent is the only one I have ever been able to integrate properly. Check out the www.hometheatershack.com site for free software and tips on doing that. I used the software to measure the room, find optimal sub placement and set the proper gain on the sub. I do not have any equalization in my system as I found it not to be transparent. This software made a huge difference, but took time...

Back