Power Poll - Tubes, Solid State Or Class D?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubes, Solid State Or Class D?

• Tubes.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • Solid State.

Votes: 52 59.8%
  • Class D.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Something Very Weird.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I'm so stupid, I don't actually know.

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

User211

Reaction score
OK - what are you driving your Logans with?

Forget subwoofers or your active bass units. What is supplying the juice to your panels?

If you are using more than one option, just vote for your fave.

If your're using a hybrid, vote solid state - I forgot the option, but chances are the bit that delivers the real power is SS.

Just thought it'd be interesting to see the "spread".

Last edited:
For my system it is 140 WPC of tube power (Tung-Sol 6550). The sound is sublime

black sheep here..
running with a Rotel class D AVR (switching driving the Logans with a Parasound 2 chan class a/b 125 wpc & the avr - starting to like the class D better)
just ordered a Rotel 250 wpc stereo amp to drive the Logans. we'll see how that works out.. will add a dedicated pre with HT passthru later this year.

Well Justin I posted 'SS' since I'm pushing them with Plinius at the moment but my Rogues are are all ready and waiting in the bullpen !

I think you needed another listing for guys like myself and Steve (slowgezer) for we play "switcheroo" from time to time between our valve gear and SS stuff.

I'm running huge SS monoblocks that deliver 140 wpc class A before switching to B that goes as high as 600wpc (at 4 ohms). Nothing gives the MLs dynamics like a big amp can deliver.

Tube amps are mostly lower power and the Summits at least will drain a tube amp well into clipping. Tubes soft clip so you don't hear the damage they are doing when large demands are placed on them. Add the fact that they are in need of costly retubing at frequent intervals to keep the sound consistent, I can't be bothered.

I get my tubeiness from a BAT VK31SE preamp.

Last edited:
Well Justin I posted 'SS' since I'm pushing them with Plinius at the moment but my Rogues are are all ready and waiting in the bullpen !

I think you needed another listing for guys like myself and Steve (slowgezer) for we play "switcheroo" from time to time between our valve gear and SS stuff.

Dave,

I imagine that you are getting quite a workout moving the Plinius in and out of your setup!

good evening Anthony, actually it's easy now that I have my other set of speaker cables back from #1 son !

I own and use both SS and tube, but my preference is a really high quality SS amp with a tube pre.

Hm - I was expecting a bit more class D support - though we may get a few more posts/votes.

One of the amps I'd most like to hear at the moment is the Bel Canto Ref1000 MKII... simply because a contact I have is bowled over by them. He lives miles away, though.

I'm running huge SS monoblocks that deliver 140 wpc class A before switching to B that goes as high as 600wpc (at 4 ohms). Nothing gives the MLs dynamics like a big amp can deliver.

Tube amps are mostly lower power and the Summits at least will drain a tube amp well into clipping. Tubes soft clip so you don't hear the damage they are doing when large demands are placed on them. Add the fact that they are in need of costly retubing at frequent intervals to keep the sound consistent, I can't be bothered.

I get my tubeiness from a BAT VK31SE preamp.

Hi DrJRapp,
Just 1 point your amps idle at 140 watts,therefore class a power maybe up to 20 to 30 watts not 140watts but they do not claim any class A power.
I use tube amp,audio research ref 600mkIII monoblocks 600 watts into 16 ohms, class A to 200 watts,idle is 800watts each max 2200watts.
More importantly they sound very good.regards victor.

14 channels of amplification, all Solid State, all Sunfire Class H.

Each panel gets a loving 400w @ 4 Ohms / 800w @ 2Ohms with no pesky passive crossovers between the amp and panel :cool:

Oh, and a 1000w SS buttkicker amp, but it's class A/B ;)

Last edited:
I guess I'm in the "I'm so stupid, I don't actually know" category.

I have a Sunfire TGA-5200 which is a solid state switching amplifier, but some websites say it is Class D and some say it is Class H. :confused:

I guess I'm in the "I'm so stupid, I don't actually know" category.

I have a Sunfire TGA-5200 which is a solid state switching amplifier, but some websites say it is Class D and some say it is Class H. :confused:

But you didn't vote for it. Surely you're not that stupid:D?:);)

Or maybe it's just weird - but there's no votes for that so far either....

Back