not your typical ESL57....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpaudio2

Reaction score
all 4 work. Not quite as transparent as my requests. A lot of what I read is that Audio People LTD was a company that used other manufacturers drivers... they look like quads... but are they?

Not quite sure what I have. Running them with a golden tube se40 currently... They sound good but not magic like the ML. Mabye they need updating? All panels produce sound...

I know next to nothing about quads...

Attachments

• IMG_0160s.jpg
    IMG_0160s.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 2,421
  • IMG_0161s.jpg
    IMG_0161s.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 905
  • IMG_0162s.jpg
    IMG_0162s.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 867
If appearances are any indication, the speakers aren't the problem. Quads can be amazing, taking into account their limitations.

I know in the 60's Radio People LTD made speakers using Wharfedale drivers, but they were your typical box speakers. Didn't know they made Quad clones as well. But they certianly do look like Quads.

looks like they could use a good vacumm maybe that will help the sound I am sure the panels are filthy

I have gotten them somewhat better dialed in. Need to figure out amps for them.

My understanding is that you need to be careful vacuuming them. From what I read if they are actually quads, they have a dustcover, then a second film like dust cover, so they are pretty good with dust.

From what I have read arcing can be a problem. The neon lights are staying off, I think that is a good thing. But Im not really sure ..

So two questions:

what kind of amps should I drive these things with.? Low power Im assuming since I read that quads were designed for like 20 watts (I guess the quad II amps are what was designed with them). I was thinking of trying my mcintosh 225. which would be a great fit, however I need to get it on the bench to replace some parts.

second question, I know How to care for my martin logans, but im not finding much on how to care for working quads. I read a lot about fixing and rebuilding. Id like to avoid needing this. Is there anything that needs attention to to keep them going with out killing themselves?

Those look like what are called "Stacked Quads" in a specially-built enclosure. When I had a pair of the original Quads I first drove them with the Quad 303 (45 watts/channel), then with a Bedini 20/20 Class A amplifier (20 watts/channel). They then sounded MUCH better when I switched to tubes - first an ancient Dyna Stereo 70, then A Copland 50 watt/channel amp (can't remember the model number).

I never had them arc, but then I never drove them with a high-power amp, always staying close to or under Quad's recommended 45 watts/ch maximum.

Please post pictures of the backs of the speakers as well.

i'll try to post some pictures when I get home later.

Im actually half thinking about SET. This might keep me from trying to play more complex rock and classical, and force me to stick more towards what the 57's excel at. After all, my requests rock out amazingly.

Actually remarkably, I see VERY little that can be done with the XO / EHT provided the diodes are working - which they are. The only capacitors I see in the circuit are ceramics, which rarely fail. I see quite a few vintage (of course) carbon comp allen bradley types, which I have learned to NOT touch if you want to retain the vintage sound. (swapped 4 on my mc225 - lost that classic sound)

It looks like each speaker has 3x 560pf caps. It might change the sound to replace them with auricaps. Im not sure if thats worth it though since ceramics rarely age.

They do appear to be repackaged Quad ESL-57. These don't have a dust cover like the ESL-63.

well I took off the back dust covers, and I think I found the reason why they just sound "ok" but not great. Every single bass panel is delaminated, like torn literally at the corner.

So far just opened up one speaker. I am Amazed that they played at all considering the condition they are in. :/

Back