New M-L Center Speaker

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoc

Reaction score
I have heard rumors that M-L will be offering a new center stage to replace the Stage and mate with the CLX/Summit-X/Spires better. Any substance to this rumor and when it might appear?

Don't know, but it makes sense. The Stage has been out now for three years, so it may be time for an update. Although I wouldn't expect it to be radically different from the current model.

The ML Rep at the London hifi show confirmed that there would be a new flagship center speaker to better mate with the CLX.

I'm patiently waiting for the first scoop details - the ML guy did say that it would likely be larger than the Stage (which I think is a v. good thing) but he didn't say that it would *replace* the stage.

ML definitely needs something better than the Stage to mate with CLX’s.

And do expect a larger physical form factor, as that’s what it’s going to take.

The question will be: how tall will they make it?

Width is rarely a challenge, as most people spending in this league will have very large flatpanels or projection screens. But the size and positioning of the screen generally hinders the positioning and acceptable height of the center channel.

My thoughts are that they are likely to combine a long horizontal strip with two DualForce panels below a 3.5’ to 4’ wide curved mid-highs panel. I also expect they’ll use the Xstat-HD approach of embedding a dynamic tweeter to address the vertical dispersion challenge at HF.

A DualForce panel segment seems to be about 10” wide (JMAUSGP –can you confirm exact width of a single panel segment), so add that to an average 10 to 12” wide ‘highs’ panel plus supports and the height of this baby is going to be around 22” inches. Almost 2x the height of a Stage.

Therefore, people considering this unit need to carefully consider the relative positioning of the screen and the center speaker.

If using front projection, an acoustically transparent screen is the obvious answer. And before anyone complains about impact to sound, please go read the two-part article on acoustically transparent screens that just came out in WideScreen review.
The detriments of improper or less than optimal placements far, far outweigh the negligible impacts of being behind a screen.

I’m eager to see what they wind up doing.

Last edited:
how many people do you guys think are using a pair of CLX in their HT. I think the speaker was really designed for the die hard 2 channel enthusiast don't you?
that does not mean they will not come out with something for the few that want it. I think that for all but the most over the top HT setups the stage does an excellent job.

Fish_Man, the CLX is about the same size (shorter actually) than Monoliths, and several of us have those in HT configs.

I'd think a CLX would do great in an HT setup (any room over 16' wide should be OK).

Okay, FWIW the dual force panels on the CLX measure 57 tall by 12 inches wide. They are segmented into four panels within this space.

They measure approximately

1) 6 by 18
2) 6 by 25
3) 6 by 31
4) 6 by 39

So I would suspect Jonfo is correct in his exstimate.

I just heard from one of my ML secret sources;) and he/she said that ML is coming out with not only a CLX matched center channel but also side and rear channel speakers. So it looks like you CLX HT addicts will have plenty of stuff to crave and scrimp and save for.:D

The only unknown is timing, maybe Q1 10, but that is just a wild guess.

that is going to be sweeeeeet! I think Martin Logan is hyped up with all the praise they have gotten lately for their work!

Back