Will the tube amp drive the Vantage?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matten Logan

Reaction score
So I am about to make my first foray into tube amplification (buying used from a local dealer), so I will ask the knowledgeable and experienced crew here for their advice. My choices are a Cayin A-50t, Rogue Cronus, and the Pathos classic one mk II.
I know the Cronus and Pathos will drive ML's I (as I have seen them both hooked up to ML's at dealers) but I have never seen the Cayin used.
I saw the Cayin at CES and The Home Entertainment Show and was thoroughly impressed. This is really the one I want, but at only 35 wpc I worry it won't be enough for the Vantage. I know that the power supplies are just as if not more important for driving the speaker, but I still don't want to be replacing tubes every time I turn it on.
FYI, not playing music loudly, just at moderate levels. The Pathos is the fallback for power and the Cronus only if I can get a steal on one.

Thanks for the help!:bowdown:

So I am about to make my first foray into tube amplification (buying used from a local dealer), so I will ask the knowledgeable and experienced crew here for their advice. My choices are a Cayin A-50t, Rogue Cronus, and the Pathos classic one mk II.
I know the Cronus and Pathos will drive ML's I (as I have seen them both hooked up to ML's at dealers) but I have never seen the Cayin used.
I saw the Cayin at CES and The Home Entertainment Show and was thoroughly impressed. This is really the one I want, but at only 35 wpc I worry it won't be enough for the Vantage. I know that the power supplies are just as if not more important for driving the speaker, but I still don't want to be replacing tubes every time I turn it on.
FYI, not playing music loudly, just at moderate levels. The Pathos is the fallback for power and the Cronus only if I can get a steal on one.

Thanks for the help!:bowdown:
Hola... it is just a matter of how loud you like the sound...35 Watts for me is enough for my liking and the type of music that I listen most of the time, like jazz combo and small classical orchestra, usually solo instrument(s) and vocal(s). Some are going to say that 35 watts is not enough. Just keep in mind that the sensitivity of the Vantage model is 92dBs!!!. You will need only 1/3 of the power that you use for driving a SL-3 or similar. Happy listening,
Roberto.

You'll know the minute you hook it up. It's not so much a "Will it drive" the speakers, it's mostly about the impedance match. If the amp mates well, you will get a decent high frequency response and if not, it will sound like a blanket over the speakers.

Remember the Pathos one is solid state output, so that probably makes it a lot easier...

I have owned a Rogue Cronus, which I had modified by Mark at Rogue. It was a really sweet integrated. I preferred the KT77 to the EL34 for bottom end punch and top end extension.

I used it with my Quad 2805 in a small room measuring 14 X 15 X 9. It did great until I moved my speakers into a much larger room and then it just didn't have enough power to adequately drive the Quads. I sold it before I got my Spires so I can't comment on that combination, but wish I would have kept the Cronus for a second smaller system it was that good.

Pay attention to what Jeff pointed out in his post. I found that the McIntosh 275 amp was not a good match with my Spires. It did not have the dynamics, detail, top end, bottom end, and drive to the music as my solid state amp. The lesson is to try in your system before you buy.

By the way, watch out for some of the Chinese gear that might look good on the outside but what's more important is what's on the inside and how it is actually constructed, soldered, etc. I've gotten burned going down that road before.

Yep, it's case by case. Every amp is different. The Prima Luna Dialog monos work pretty well, but they have a 2 ohm tap. While the MC275 did not give great results the anniversary model MC75 monos did an acceptable job, but again, 2 ohm tap!

Always worth a try though, you might stumble on to something really good!

By the way, watch out for some of the Chinese gear that might look good on the outside but what's more important is what's on the inside and how it is actually constructed, soldered, etc. I've gotten burned going down that road before.

On the other hand I have quite positive results .... after modding. Good thing is you can buy them cheap so losing warranty is not a big financial issue - if you like experimenting.

But beware ....

ACHTUNG - ALLES KOPFPHONERLISTENERS
Alles kopfphonerlisteners non-technischens! Das tubenmachine is nicht
for gefengerpoken und mittengrabben. Oderwise is easy schnappen der
springenverk, blowenfus, und poppencap, mit spitzensparken. Gewerken
inside der tubenmachine is fur der experten only. Is nicht fur geverken
inside by das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken amateuren keepen das
cotton-picken hands in das pockets. Just relaxen, enjoyen der musik, und
vatchen das pretty glowentubes.

Now seriously ....

I'm driving Ascent panels with 35W of class A EL34's without any problem. Even over 100dB no signs of strain. And Ascent is rated at 90dB so with Vantage it should be even easier.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the amps you're interested in but I will say that my Vistas, which are driven full range by the amp used, worked quite well with a little EL-84 Jolida with 15-20 watts or so a channel.

Much depends on the volume you want but regardless of power used you're not gonna get a smaller stat (or any stat) to put out like a VOT anyway.

Back