Room correction setup guide for ML’s

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am integrating an Jl112 and a Descent i into my system which has l/r vantages and a center Stage.
The surrounds are NHT diploes frm another era and the rear backs are nht ceilings also from the 90's.
I am using the audyssey pro kit.

The Descent i manual says to set the phase to 90 for that sub with ML panels
The audyssey guide says use 0 as the setting prior to the caibration.

So what is best for me to do iwth thie 7.2 system. The descent is behind one of my Vantages. the JL112 is on a side wall.

jmschnur - Set the phase at 0 on the Descent (and the JL). Audyssey will adjust for any sub to Vantage phase / delay match.

If you have the option, look at placing one sub in center front, and one sub center rear. But center font, and 1/3 back from front along side wall also works well.

Hello JonFo,

I have new Electromotions and a Feature center channel. While I absolutely love what Audyssey does for the bass in my room, I am not so sure about the mids and highs. With Audyssey engaged they seem to lose a little of the air and sparkle that I love so much with the stats. Is this because of the mid-range compensation and rolled off highs that Audyssey applies? Thanks,

Jason

Last edited:
You might disable re-EQ or play with the different modes.

What is you pre/pro.

I bought Audyssey pro kit for my 80.2. I did disable mid bass comp with the kit. But did not think it was super critical.

PLIIx is a good choice to start for movies and stereo for music.

My system sounds pretty good now. This thread helped me a lot for the fine tuning.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR1007 as my pre-pro. I am pretty happy overall with what Audyssey has done with the sound, but I just notice a slight difference in music when I compare Audyssey and direct. Maybe it is just my preference? Looking to see if anyone else has felt like me. I imagine Audyssey's mid-range dip works a little different with ESL's. What Audyssey does with bass is nothing short of amazing for my room.

I have been trying different settings and comparing them one to another. I have found that I like what the THX setting does with music over Dolby. Movies there isn't as much difference, but I think I still prefer the THX. I am thinking that I prefer the THX because it puts Audyssey in flat vs. reference???

Thanks. I believe it defaults to re-eq off when in the music mode. Now if I could only find a way to remove the midrange compensation. : )

I'd love to have the pro kit! But, my avr doesn't support it and I can't afford a new one at the moment. : (

Well I know it had been a while. But as far as creating a bubble for a 4 seat theater room setup just straight across. Having a theater center channel should I not position the mic outside of the width of the actual center?

^^ After extensive experimentation, yes, I'd suggest to not place the mic more than a few inches outside the with of the center speaker.
Basically you will be measuring across the two center seats in your setup.

The outer two seats will still benefit from the room correction, but measuring over them will skew the corrections to much. So keep it centered.

I'm pondering an update of my system with an Anthem AVM 60 as the ARC room correction software is appealing. Since I'm running two (2) Balance Force 210's with my Spires,
is there any need to calibrate the subs first with PBK before using ARC via the Anthem?

Or, will ARC take care of all of it and skip the PBK?

Thanks,
Herb...

I'm pondering an update of my system with an Anthem AVM 60 as the ARC room correction software is appealing. Since I'm running two (2) Balance Force 210's with my Spires,
is there any need to calibrate the subs first with PBK before using ARC via the Anthem?

Or, will ARC take care of all of it and skip the PBK?

Thanks,
Herb...

Hey Herb, sorry I missed this one back in March, but this is a good question, so I'll go ahead and (belatedly) answer it in the hope it helps others as well.

For subs that have their own Room Correction (RC) (like PBK), do go ahead and do each sub individually, then run the RC (ARC in your case) in the receiver/processor on top of that.

That way each sub is optimized for its location and the processors RC will then adjust the balance globally.

Hey Herb, sorry I missed this one back in March, but this is a good question, so I'll go ahead and (belatedly) answer it in the hope it helps others as well.

For subs that have their own Room Correction (RC) (like PBK), do go ahead and do each sub individually, then run the RC (ARC in your case) in the receiver/processor on top of that.

That way each sub is optimized for its location and the processors RC will then adjust the balance globally.

Hi Jonathan:

I haven't made the switch to an ARC system yet. Still running the Denon 4520CI with Audyssey.

I am curious about your setup. Do you connect your Subs via the LFE connection only? Or, do you connect the Subs via LFE + L/R Line Level Input?

My 5.2 system is used for both Home Theater and Music (mostly hi-res 2-channel) and I'm only connected via the LFE connections. With a setup like mine, is it still advisable to download the custom EQ Filters for the Spire/BalancedForce 210 combination?

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back