ML Vantage compared to older SL3?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsl3

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking to purchase a Martin Logan speaker and I need some help. In the past I listened to the SL3 and remember how life like and musical that sound was. Well, the other day I heard the ML Vantage speakers and they sounded really good, but not as musical as I would like. Is this a true assessment on my part? Would I be better off with the older SL3's?:confused:

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
Differences in set-up (room, acoustics and upstream componetry) I suspect is what made the difference between the two. Putting the Vantages in place of the SL-3's exact enviroment (if at all possible) will then tell your ears what you like better.

in the scenario Dave paints, the Vantages would walk all over the SL3s. Newer panel technology, better bass integration, easier to drive.

... and better looking.. not that it matters.

Yeah, the key is really the bass integration. The newer ML's have gotten a lot better, but the old Aerius was awfully good back in it's day!

Just looking at the basic set-up suggests that SL3 will be better: Lower XO (SL3 250Hz, Vantage 400Hz); 10 inch sealed woofer in SL3 v Vantage's 8 inch vented; and wider and taller panel on SL3. (I admit having an active XO in the Vantage is a big advance.)

I also prefer being able to choose my own woofer amp. Frankly, relatively speaking, I think the SL3 was a better speaker in its day (10 years ago) than the Vantage is today. And I'm not just saying that because I love my SL3s...

I'd say you'll notice clear differences, but I don't think it will be as simple as the Vantage walking all over the SL3. Listen to both and report your conclusions to the forum.

I think I like sound of the 1st and 2nd gen ML speakers over the 3rd gen. The 3rd gen speakers seem too sound too focused and a bit grainy for my taste. I could tell this immediately when I listen to the CLS and the Summit at Wayne’s place. I cannot deny the bass impact of the summits. Over the past few years I have gotten to listen to many Summit and Vantage systems. So far I must say I like the sound of my Monolith over all of them. Maybe it is because I know my system so well. To my ears the older speakers sound more warm and smooth. With the addition of my new subs I have overcome the deficiency in bass. The change I have set for the near future can only improve this.

I have thought about buying Summits but each time I listen to to them I say "Why, what will I gain?"

I'm inclined to agree with Dave and Tom....not just the integration, but the Summits and Vantages inherent adaptability to their environment by User adjustment of the bass controls makes a huge difference. Properly set up these speakers become wholly believable.... :)

Kind regards..............................Victor

The various opinions in posts confirm my previous post. Different, but one is not necessarily better. I went from Aerius to Vista and while I obviously prefer the Vista as a whole, there were some things about the Aerius I preferred also.

Back