Accessory Dilemma - RFC

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnskaczor

Reaction score
So here is my quandary:

I have my MLs in the family room and want to add functionality like the Logitech Squeezebox offers.

However, being that the Squeezebox Duet cost $399 MSRP and a PS3 can be had for the same price which one would be better?

Some additional background info:

Downstairs has a PS3 and HD TV setup. I can pipe Netflix, Hulu, CBS, YouTube, local media from PC/NAS ,and more via Playon (DLNA Server) through it, along with all the other goodies that it can do.

FR still has an ole SD TV (wife still likes SD :D). I added a Roku to it for Netflix, but no HULU at this time. If I added a PS3 I could move the Roku upstairs in the master bedroom.

I just finished hooking my PS3 to the system in the family room via an HDMI cable to the receiver. To my pleasant surprise, I can pipe audio through it without having an HD TV also hooked up to the receiver. I was a bit worried it wouldn't perform some needed handshake and refuse to send the audio.

Matter of fact, I'm watching the BD version of CARS at the moment in SD, but I'm hearing the lossless audio track for the 1st time. :D :music: :D

So as you probably can tell, I'm really leaning towards getting another PS3 for use more as a media center with the added benefit of being able to bring a game up from downstairs from time to time when I upgrade the TV (please break soon).

OK, now let the suggestions flow. I would really like to hear from those who have both a PS3 or Xbox, and something like the Duet hooked up and how/why they use each component for what.

Thanks for reading and your comments. :)

Okay - I don't have a PS3 (or video anything in my audio system), but I do have a Squeezebox.

I think the main advantage of the Squeezebox is the fact that it can be used without video or a screen turned on. If you listen to music a lot (actively, not passively) then this a major reason why you should go the Squeezebox. If however, you just want background music and your screen is usually on with the kids and all, then I guess there's no reason why another Playstation won't suit your needs.

That actually is a pretty significant factor to take into consideration.

I was pretty much set on the Sqeezebox until I had the hair brain idea about the PS3 just before I posted the question.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Yep, the video-on requirement is a major one.

However, something to think about is if other components in the system are going to require the TV to be on anyway so you can see their GUI's, then it's less of an issue. So figure what the entire usage model is based on your most common scenarios and their requirements.

My solution to an ever increasing need for video to drive my setup was to get a 21" 1080P LCD display that sits low and to the right of my main seat, so I can use the system without powering up the main projector. It's great for running the built-in media player in my preamp.

Going for the Sqeezebox

One major reason is the support for more formats, especially the lossless codecs.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

FYI, there is apparently a NEW Squeezebox forthcoming, the "Touch". Details are still a bit sketchy, but it will have a 4.3" color touchscreen display (?? include remote), and also support 24bit/96kHz streaming. You might want to wait another week before buying one of the older models! More details here... http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64706

Back