Why do Martin Logans have such Lousy resale value and interest?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not at all Bernard. And it makes one wonder if the title of this thread has any relevance at all or why anyone, who enjoys the ML line, and the price / performance musical value thereof, would ever start such a thread.

GG

Last edited:
Gordon and Bernard, AMEN!

Our speakers are so transparent and revealing that not everyone is at that Nirvana point. :music:

The speakers, of course, are frequently the scape goat. Just trying to help someone else get there.

Best regards,
David

Gordon and David, there is hope yet. If you interpret Mantana's last few posts, you will note that he in effect saying that the Spires are revealing changes that he has made in upstream components. I expect that once he gets to that magical combination (which may well be with a tube amp :devil:), he may well ask Mr. Dac to send this thread to the nearest cyber graveyard !

I must admit that every time I see this thread I find the title irritating, but life is too short and I am too busy hobnobbing with the Valkyries in Valhalla to worry about trifles like that. However, I can't help but wonder what stuff I can tweak in Valhalla.

Last edited:
Hi Bernard,

Given the posts made by the person who started this thread, I can't share your optimism. The title is clearly meant to be confrontational and, I believe, self serving.

He clearly falls, IMHO, into the "whiner" category and has offered little to contribute to the spirit and purpose of the ML Club.

I frankly don't care what Mantana does or does not do.

Seems to me he likes to see his posts to legitimize his apparent beliefs, or in the latest iteration, an apparent reversal of his beliefs, regarding ML products.

GG

And the feeling is mutual G. Gray, since i think you are a total jerk.
But, i'm sure you have many ML backers who share your opinion.

If you like the sound of the I-7, but want more power (and even more refinement) go for the W-7 monos... I've got a pair in for review and they are an outstanding match with the CLX's.

Agree with David on the CJ amps. The W-7's are very similar in sound to the Premier 350.

If you want a little warmer sound, consider a pair of used McIntosh MC1.2kw's.

You'll never run out of power and they are slightly on the warm side. Fantastic amps!

If you like the sound of the I-7, but want more power (and even more refinement) go for the W-7 monos... I've got a pair in for review and they are an outstanding match with the CLX's.

Agree with David on the CJ amps. The W-7's are very similar in sound to the Premier 350.

If you want a little warmer sound, consider a pair of used McIntosh MC1.2kw's.

You'll never run out of power and they are slightly on the warm side. Fantastic amps!

Thanks Jeff,

I always get useful information from you and i appreciate it.
Would love to have the W7s but they are quite expensive, even used.
I'm limiting my purchase to a max of about 5k, preferably 4k, so
used is my hunting ground.

MF A5 is a very good amplifier there's no doubt about that.
I had MF A5 together With A5 CD and they sounded very open and big, kinda sound that will impress you immediately but... I had a feeling of sound being slightly too much "in your face" hard to explain but there was something that could cause listening fatique over longer period of listening. That might not be the case depending on the listener and system cabeling etc.
In comparison Moon I5 sounded slightly unimpressive but considerably more relaxed and laid back, the tone was clearly darker than MF A5. I did have I5 for quite some time and I was seriously interested in gettin the separate versions from Moon. I7 should be much more recent design and also a "step up the ladder" in performance. How much power do you ultimately need? I5 was a moderately powered integrated amp but with my experience it never sounded stressed or limited thanks to Moons exeptional power supply quality.

Thanks Jeff,

I always get useful information from you and i appreciate it.
Would love to have the W7s but they are quite expensive, even used.
I'm limiting my purchase to a max of about 5k, preferably 4k, so
used is my hunting ground.

Hi Mantana,
Sorry to hear that the sale is ongoing my friend. I was crying into my breakfast that the bargain price of 5K was possibly even going to become 4K :(

Realistically there is a higher probability of selling to an upward looking ML user (like myself - currently on Vantages) and in particular to another member of this site than anywhere else - which is why I'm stunned that no one out there has grabbed this offer already!!

As to the i-7 I've been using one with the Vantages for the last 2-3 years and it's a dream partnership with speakers of this type although not necessarily the case with other speakers (such as Magneplanars which I think you may have been considering?). I agree with Tonepub that if you could stretch your budget the P-7/W-7 is worthy of serious consideration as this gives you significantly more transient capability, although I'd look at pre-owned Pass Labs too....

All the best................................Victor :music:

Latest posts

Back