Why do Martin Logans have such Lousy resale value and interest?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maggies hold value because they're the JBL L-100 of the audiophile world. They make a zippy, harsh treble like an old JBL L-100 but do it in a "respectable" package that allows owners to interpret the hash as "resolution". Quite a racket.

But at least the L-100 was a very high quality product, not a Rube Goldberg single ended distortion generator made of refrigerator magnets and fiber board.

When I sold my Ascent-i on Audiogon a couple of years ago, there were only a couple of lackluster offers on them the first time I posted an ad. I re-posted about two weeks later at the same price, and got a local buyer on the 2nd day of the ad. I recently sold a Salamander rack system the same way, after re-posting an ad. In my experience, timing plays a part as much as anything.

I did get an offer from some guy in Canada at $4500, but i turned him
down. He was just fishing. I see the gal selling at $4900 is on
day 25 of her ad. When she drops off i should be the new low offer.

While I am used to my posts not eliciting responses, I truly believe that the speakers since ML sold to Shoreline do not have the same resale value as the older generation. Ascent i's seem to be worth about as much as Vantages.

So again, I would say that resale value has suffered since the new generation and new ownership.

Mantana, if you do not follow the party line, you are often deemed a troll.

Hi Mark,

I wouldn't know of your claim here, but I doubt most people
even know who owns Martin Logan. There was never a cessation
in production, just a new owner.

In my experience, timing plays a part as much as anything.
Anthony is right on here.

Anything can sell. Just depends on the right time and the right price.

In a hurry? Lower the price.

Want a certain price? Then sometimes you have to wait.

Business 101....

I did get an offer from some guy in Canada at $4500, but i turned him
down. He was just fishing. I see the gal selling at $4900 is on
day 25 of her ad. When she drops off i should be the new low offer.

Hi Mantana,

In Post No. 39 (your post), you said "I'm never going to sell my Spires at any price".

GG

Hi Mantana,

In Post No. 39 (your post), you said "I'm never going to sell my Spires at any price".

GG

What i meant was i'm not going to sell the Spires at JUST any
price. I do value these speakers and there's a minimum price
i'm willing to accept. ... $4500 wasn't worth it to me.

Mantana,

Imagine that CLS' go for around $2000. Just a bit less than 50% of your speakers. A set of Prodigys will go for around $4500. Just speculation, but it appears that the newer models do have resell problems (something I alluded to about 6 months ago. I personally don't like the way they look (more a fan of the classic quest or CLS) but the Spires and Summits do sound really good.

My suggestion is to enjoy them and not worry about selling. Don't sweat what you can't control. Sit back with your favorite beverage, turn the lights down and spin your favorite disks.

I just wasted 5 minutes reading this?? Oy! Relax :bowdown::p

Sorry, I'm easily amused....:devil:

Mantana,

Imagine that CLS' go for around $2000. Just a bit less than 50% of your speakers. A set of Prodigys will go for around $4500. Just speculation, but it appears that the newer models do have resell problems (something I alluded to about 6 months ago. I personally don't like the way they look (more a fan of the classic quest or CLS) but the Spires and Summits do sound really good.

My suggestion is to enjoy them and not worry about selling. Don't sweat what you can't control. Sit back with your favorite beverage, turn the lights down and spin your favorite disks.

Personally i really like the looks of the Summit and Spire. They don't
look as substantial as the older models. Not as much meat to them,
but i like their smaller footprint. Maybe that's a factor in resale. I
can't say i'm real fond of the looks of the CLX though, at least not
from the pictures i've seen. Maybe they're more impressive
in your home.

Personally i really like the looks of the Summit and Spire. They don't
look as substantial as the older models. Not as much meat to them,
but i like their smaller footprint. Maybe that's a factor in resale. I
can't say i'm real fond of the looks of the CLX though, at least not
from the pictures i've seen. Maybe they're more impressive
in your home.

I'm not sure that people buy speakers the way they buy amplifiers....based on size and weight. I don't think people buy cars based on those criteria either. An Aston Martin DBS doesn't have as much meat as a Land Rover LR3. Each one is beautiful in it's own way to the people who purchase it. Even the CLX as fugly as it is to me, is attractive to some.

I gotta agree here. I know I personally buy all my speakers based on looks and of course size and weight. My CLXs are definitely the ugliest, biggest and with my granite tweak the heaviest speakers around.

You know I have been told by the supposed experts that you should buy a speaker based on sound..... but you know, that's just not me.

Back on topic..... and so far I have to agree with stuwee.....somebody buy Manatanas speakers so that alls well that ends well.:D:D:D

Guys. i'm back....i know you're excited.

After an ad on Agon at a price of $4700 for a 9 month old
speaker, i received very little interest on my Spires.
I did however mention my Montanas in the ad
and a gent from Colorado Springs drove up last saturday and
auditioned. He sent me an email he plans on buying this weekend
but no sale is final until final. He probably won't follow through at
my price of $5400 for a 2 year old speaker, but at least someone
was interested enough to drive 70 miles to audition.

I just ran a new ad for the Spires at $4700, but may need to drop
to 4k to get a sale. In the meantime i see a Maggie 3.6 owner
is offering a HT setup for about $5500. He told me he would sell
just the 3.6s at $3500 and he's had numerous inquiries.
So many emails he's tired of responding. He has the black
version which retail for $5000 and he'll probably get
his price for his 18 month old speakers. That's 70% of retail....

Guys. i'm back....i know you're excited.

After an ad on Agon at a price of $4700 for a 9 month old
speaker, i received very little interest on my Spires.
I did however mention my Montanas in the ad
and a gent from Colorado Springs drove up last saturday and
auditioned. He sent me an email he plans on buying this weekend
but no sale is final until final. He probably won't follow through at
my price of $5400 for a 2 year old speaker, but at least someone
was interested enough to drive 70 miles to audition.

I just ran a new ad for the Spires at $4700, but may need to drop
to 4k to get a sale. In the meantime i see a Maggie 3.6 owner
is offering a HT setup for about $5500. He told me he would sell
just the 3.6s at $3500 and he's had numerous inquiries.
So many emails he's tired of responding. He has the black
version which retail for $5000 and he'll probably get
his price for his 18 month old speakers. That's 70% of retail....

Look at the Montana's on the 'gon and most of them are priced less than half their original retail value. Look at the more expensive Maggies and you see the same thing. They are priced at half their value or less, or they just aren't selling. You are trying to sell a very expensive speaker in a bad economy and you act like it is the manufacturer's fault that it isn't selling at your price point. Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

wrong...i'm not blaming the manufacturer. I'm still trying to figure
why i'm getting so few responses for the Logans. They are a well
regarded brand name. Just thought there'd be more interest even
if they don't sell. You're right...most hi end equipment is selling
around 1/2 price. The Maggies, at least the 3.6s and 1.6s seem
to have good resale value (and they aren't as attractive as the
Logans).

it's the middle/end of summer dude! just chill out and give them until the weather breaks and I will bet you have a lot more interest.

wrong...i'm not blaming the manufacturer. I'm still trying to figure
why i'm getting so few responses for the Logans. They are a well
regarded brand name. Just thought there'd be more interest even
if they don't sell.

Mantana,

This thread has peaked my interest, so I just went to Audiogon and checked the Spire listings. You have 0 feedback. That means someone has to take a risk on buying from you. However, you are not willing to compensate the buyer for taking a chance on you.

If you drop your price by $300-$400, someone may have an incentive to take a chance on you.

Good Luck

I've done lot of selling of audio gear and have done pretty well - summer and early fall is the slowest time to sell - this is not adding the economy or the perception of the economy into account - I've even gotten less for things the last 6 mos or so - I did just join the ML "family" last week (I didnt even know there was a ML forum untill a couple of days ago was researching the ML Monolith III's I just purchased - and I frequenty Audiokarma, Audioasylum, Lansing Heritage and Audiogon forums on a regular basis) The Monoliths I bought were orginally a no reserve auction starting low and ended at just under 2k - they appeared again a week later listed at 5K, then a week later at 4k, then3k and finally at 2.2k or best offer - I stopped in to see them and the manager told me to make an offer which I did (the finished auction may still show the price I paid ) the manager also told me that they had sold 3 times and the buyers balked at the shipping charges.....

Latest posts

Back