Cordless drills ...........

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Well after ten years my trustworthy Makita can longer hold a charge worth a hoot. :( Trouble is replacement batteries ($80 ea) makes me think it is now prudent to consider a new drill

So....... any good rcomendations ???

Don,t get me started on cordless tools...........

You know I really like WD-40 , but that pathetic red ant eater that you have to struggle with to get it in the spray nipple is a PAIN IN THE AZZ. Cant they come up with a better way ? Then to add insult to you they give you a piece of Scotch tape to hold it on when your done ! Yeah that works ! First time you go to peel it off with your hands all covered in what ever its ruined! So now your left with a red top with a neat little groove to store the straw nozzle in . Well that looks good but as soon as you put it in the slot and put it on the shelf its gone the next time you use it. There must be a WD-40 Straw thief in my garage as I never can find it once I use it the first time ! Hopefully the mice are sipping pina colada with it and making nests with all my socks that disappeared from the dryer.

WD-40 isn't the only company that does this pathetic trick either ! Most Brake cleaners do too ! I have 4 cans of brake cleaner that need a straw! Any one ever try and get that straw in with greasy hands ? Its like wrestling a snake with KY jelly on your hands !

I have gotten real good at spraying and covering just about everything I didn't want to get covered in the first place ! Come on people , cant we just have a spray nozzle that is easy to use !

I bet I have 20 cans of spray can paint with clogged nozzles ! That's great maybe Ill just paint my local water tower WHEN I GET SOME NEW NOZELS THAT WORK !

How about the cordless tools , I know why they call them cordless ! as they don't work with out a cord! Every time I go to use one they are dead! I think my wife is playing a mean trick on me , by running all my tools dead when I am gone just to frustrate me .

Oh yeah lets not forget the ice maker in the fridge either , that thing will keep you up all night dropping cubes as loud as a dump truck unloading boulders , but when you go to get some ice for a glass of ICE COLD water its empty ! I swear my wife is trying to drive me crazy !

Now you know why I drink Beer !

RANT OVER .................

Id go at least 18 to 24 volt for longevity and power.

Last edited:
Dave, I've migrated from Makita to Bosch to DeWalt and I heartily recommend the DeWalt 18V, same as Statman.

The model I purchased came with 2 batteries which keep a charge a very, very long time.

OTOH, I have a number of 100 year-old hand drills which require no battery!:p

3rd on DeWalt, mine is going on 2 years and still going strong! I have 2 batteries for it.

Answer to the red straw issue...

WD40-S-Straw.jpg

Well after ten years my trustworthy Makita can longer hold a charge worth a hoot.
My Makita is whimping out after 16+ years, I'm in the same position.

My Dewalt jigsaw (cord) was a mistake, not an aweful one though, just so-so.

I'd be hard pressed to try one of their drills because of it.

Go for balance, any Makita has better balance than any Dewalt, at least the last time I compared them.

Go for balance, any Makita has better balance than any Dewalt, at least the last time I compared them.

George, that's why I bought my Makita ten years ago plus the fact that it was Mi-Mh, not Nicad (pain in the arse memory issues and an enviromental mess)

I see alot of the new technology is Li-ion ( DeWalt DCD940KX for example) , I suppose superior shelf life is one positive.

So far, after using and burning a plethora of cordless tools as a professional construction worker all my life, I am very satisfied with my personal use Makita MTX 6339D drill. Very high quality in design and construction.
When purchasing cordless tools for a job, Service cycle, power, and battery compatibility are equally weighed Waiting for a single battery to charge for a single tool means downtime for the job at hand. Usually the DeWalt 14.4V cordless tools (had) the most interchangeability between tools such as drills, grinders, and trim saws. If torque is not needed (and I consider it a waste to try to achive high torque on a cordless when a corded tool will not only supply but is the PROPER tool ) the availability of multiple charged batteries on hand trumps all.
Cordless tools have become more a consumer item than an industrial commodity but the basic rule of "you get what you pay for" still applies. I have no recomendation though.
For industrial corded tools I have a simple rule - Drills: Milwaulkie, Power Saw: Skil worm drive, Sanders, routers, jig saws: Porter Cable.
Also, the less gee-gaws, gizmos, gimmiks, and propriatory attchment items the better.

I bet I have 20 cans of spray can paint with clogged nozzles ! That's great maybe Ill just paint my local water tower WHEN I GET SOME NEW NOZELS THAT WORK !
Dude, rumor on the street has it that sniffing the spray paint will make your ML's sound better than Rockport Arrakis! This may not be reliable information, however, as this same crowd maintained that Grand Funk Railroad is the acme of modern rock music, shortly before they became wards of the state.

Originally Posted by C.A.P

Dude, hold the can upside down and spray until clear. Try soaking your existing clogged nozzles in solvent.

FWIW, Consumers Report rates Panasonic and Ryobi ....1 & 2.

I had my local AC repairman over today to replace a fan motor in the outside condensor unit.......he swears by Panasonic.

Great results with my 18V Craftsman. Though I must say I prefer corded tools in general.

i've had a craftsman 12V for over 15 years. came as a kit with a pair of batteries and a flashlight. the thing just works. i was helping a friend put cat5 through his house just before the drywall and everyone else's drill packed it in but mine just kept plowing through studs with ease.

I had a older 18V Makita and a newer 18V DeWalt cordless drill in my hands today. The DeWalt was much heavier, although the balance was much better than the ones they sold just a few years ago.

The painter said the DeWalt was his and compared, the Makita (landlords drill) is a toy for light jobs.

The painter was using his Dewalt with a wire brush attachment to scuff off loose old paint off metal.

The Makita was being used as a drill and for screw removal (panel removal/lighter work).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back