Hello from Bay Area, CA

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnskaczor

Reaction score
Well, finally got around to registering my ML warranties, and decided it was time to register here as well.

First I would like to say I am a very, very happy camper! I first heard of ML when reading an article last year on headphones. Someone had picked up a brand new electrostatic set (not ML) which had been in storage at a shop for a number of years. I had not heard of electrostatic before, so I did some cross research and became hooked on the concept. Of course, in my research I ran across ML.

Fast forward to before Christmas 08. I was at the Magnolia center in my local Best Buy and ran across the Preface and the Source. Interestingly, I was there to replace my broken Denon receiver. Ended up buying the 1909; but nevertheless, this is all about the speakers and I auditioned them both that night.

Well, I liked them both; but given the application I had in mind, the Preface would win out over the Source. They appeared to be more child proof (3 year old at home), less of a sweet spot issue, and major WAF. I understood the Preface were ATF hybrids, but this somehow appealed to me.

A few weeks later I brought my wife with me, and had her listen to a few different speakers of various brands. I did not tell her which ones I liked prior to taking her. She ended up selecting the Preface as her preferred choice.

Sweet!!! I said. She liked them; and thus, I shouldn't have any problems if I brought them home. They went on sale; but sadly, I had to pass. I needed to start beefing up the emergency fund in case I lost my job.

Well, over the next 6 months, I saw them go on and off sale. It was hard not to just buy them. During that time, I did more research (including reading posts from here) and had selected the Fresco i as my choice for my center and surrounds -- matching the ATF drivers.

Well, last month I took the plunge and bought the Prefaces on sale after the store had closed. It was one of those last minute "lets stop in and see whats up" visits and I had made it inside just before they closed.

After buying but before I walked out the door, I saw their only Fresco i was on clearance. It had been put up for demo two months earlier probably because I kept asking about it. I inquired and found they weren't going to be selling them anymore. I asked if they could find two more for sale. They looked and said S.F. most likely had 4 in stock and that there were demos all over the country in various stores. I bought the demo unit for almost 50% off and took it home that night. I would think about the other two before I ordered, as I had not planned on spending this much all at once.

To keep this from getting way too long. Over the next week I kept going back and picked up the rest of the gear. I bought a Dynamo sub two days after I bought the Preface/Fresco. Then 3 days after that I ordered the other two Fresco i's and a Denon 2809 to drive them. I figured I could move my 1909 downstairs with the old speakers the MLs were replacing.

I also hope to pickup a pair of ESL series speakers for downstairs someday. I think the room would accommodate them better than the main family room. With that said, time to start saving.

Oh, and as bonus. I had to re-arrange the room somewhat significantly to place the speakers. My wife had woke one night while I was in the middle of moving things and she had commented that she didn't like this or that. I just asked her to wait till morning when I was finished. Well, with that experience, I was a bit worried. However, come the next day she commented that she like the room better. :D

Last edited:
System Summary

For those who didn't want to read all the above:

2 ML Prefaces w/ 3 Fresco i's and a Dynamo.

Question:

Vista, Vantage, or save up for Summit X? I plan on grabbing ESL next for downstairs. I won't need a full 5.1 setup all at once, and plan on building it out over time. However, I would love to start out with something better than the Source. Unfortunately I'm still hunting for a dealer in the area that I can audition the ESL series speakers in so I haven't heard either of the 3.

Question:
Vista, Vantage, or save up for Summit X?
My rule of thumb which has served me well: When in doubt, buy the better gear :)
Of course, money and mileage may vary but if I have to save up for a while longer to be able to buy a monster I will try to do it.

Doh!

That's my problem. I just got all this nice new stuff and already want bigger and better. I used to dream of building a nice HT system when I was 18 and finally got a chance to get a decent starter kit balancing out the cost of raising a family and all. What is worse is that the upgraded sound is paired up with a old TV, and the new HD TV downstairs is inheriting the old gear (Denon 1909 with Denon speakers from an old Denon HTIB kit). Already got plans to move the old gear into the bedroom and setup the real deal downstairs. Consider this starter kit an introduction to the wife. :D She's the one that likes the SD TV still.

I've got more time to read in these forums now that I've finish researching placement, receiver setup, etc. and finally got them setup decently. It took many nights putting in one piece at a time, auditioning, repositioning -- L/R, then center, then surrounds, then new receiver and cables. BTW, I hate all my measuring devices now.

So while listening to various CDs in two channel mode (something I couldn't do with my old system without going ack). I'm making my list of want to gets.

However, before I go diving into a whole new system, I probably should take a step back and consider what else I will be doing to this system.

Currently in the plans is to get a decent turntable for the wife (has a massive LP collection) and the OPPO all in one player for myself (want to dive into SA-CDs etc).

Also, right now I'm driving all 5 speakers with the Denon 2809. Given that they are ATF and not electrostatic by nature, will I realize a big gain if I first look into dedicated multi-amp/mono-amps?

Since the 2809 seems to drive the speakers well enough, if I do get an amp, I would like it to be usable with the new toys to go downstairs when I get them. Lets say I will be targeting the Summit X.

Anyhow, I should spend some time preparing and posting my system in the system forum.

Last edited:
Question:

Vista, Vantage, or save up for Summit X? I plan on grabbing ESL next for downstairs. I won't need a full 5.1 setup all at once, and plan on building it out over time. However, I would love to start out with something better than the Source. Unfortunately I'm still hunting for a dealer in the area that I can audition the ESL series speakers in so I haven't heard either of the 3.

A hearty welcome to the world of ML "Mania".

One way to go would be consider a used pair of Summits. ML is one brand of speakers that you can comfortably buy used for several reasons. First, the ML owner is a different breed than most and we "usually" take really good care of our speakers. #2, ML support, even for "out of warranty" is second to none, parts are relatively inexpensive and readily available, (even for models that go back 20 years), and the speakers are not as complex as most people think, so "at home" repair is a snap. Third, the Summit is far better than the Vista and Vantage, and the new Summit X is only a smidgen better. Finally, since the Summit X is a recent introduction, prices on used Summits are artificially depressed at the moment, and will probably rise over time.

Also, right now I'm driving all 5 speakers with the Denon 2809. Given that they are ATF and not electrostatic by nature, will I realize a big gain if I first look into dedicated multi-amp/mono-amps?

Since the 2809 seems to drive the speakers well enough, if I do get an amp, I would like it to be usable with the new toys to go downstairs when I get them. Lets say I will be targeting the Summit X.

I would suggest you wait awhile till you actually get those speakers for downstairs. Your whole direction may change along the way.... I know mine did.

Thanks for the information. I can't sleep, thinking about my next steps... I guess I got it bad eh? Anyhow, I will look into the used Summit market and see what options it may open up.

DrJ's advice is sound:D

The good news is that the ML speakers that you have bought will match up nicely enough with any ML electrostat that you end up getting.

One thing you need to realize is that you are embarking on a lifelong never ending journey or quest for the 'REAL' sound. The ML's are usually the catalyst to this addiction.

Oppo BDP-83 is a great choice as a source for starters. It gives you a true universal player so that you can get your feet wet with SACD, DVD audio, BR, DVD and more.

As for separates, the good news is that most likely you can use the pre-outs from your Denon and use it as the Pre-amp for your new system. All you will need is a separate multi-channel amp. You will be amazed at how much power electostats can use and the benefit of reserve power, but I digress.

Again, looking to Audiogon you can find Sunfire multi-channel amps like the 5200 or the 5400 which double down with watts as the ohms drop on your MLs. I have an almost new Sunfire TGA 5400 that I will be putting on Audiogon soon. It is a great amp that powered my CLX-based 5.1 system for 9 months. Then I fell victim to a severe case of Upgraditis. Your case is mild now, but you can look forward to getting sicker and sicker as you get in deeper and deeper.:D

Question:

Vista, Vantage, or save up for Summit X? I plan on grabbing ESL next for downstairs. I won't need a full 5.1 setup all at once, and plan on building it out over time. However, I would love to start out with something better than the Source.

You missed one option: the Spire (between the Vantage and the Summit X).

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome and great tips. I'm planning on heading to a dealer to audition some ESL series speakers to help me figure out where I want to head. I think I better wait at least 6 months before I do anything, or at least make sure all the family ducks are in order. :)

You missed one option: the Spire (between the Vantage and the Summit X).

After some consideration, now leaning towards a used pair of Spires and use the difference saved to buy the ESL Amp over the cost of just the Summit X.

Appreciate you pointing them out. I saw them listed, but for some reason didn't really look at them.

Back