Would encore TF be good front R/L with a Fresco I

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agladstone

Reaction score
Hello, I bought my first Martin Logan 1 month ago, a Fresco I that I am using as a center channel.
I should have bought three of them when I had a chance, I got for 50% off since they are no longer going to be sold by best buy.

However, I did not and they now have no more left. The Fresco I sounds amazing, but does not match well enough with my Dahlquist DQ10's that I am currently using as Front L/R.

Thus, I need something that will for a reasonable price.

I was thinking about getting the new Encore TF (two of them) and using as Front R/L with the Encore. Any opinions in regards to how this would work/ sound? I can keep the DahlQuist DQ10's as my front B speakers for music.

Thanks,
Allen

Hi Allen,
I moved this post to the new member intro section. More people will see it here....

I think since they both use the ML ATF drivers, that the Encore TF would be a nice match with the Fresco.

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but how long have you had your DQ-10s? Have you had them rebuilt at all? Would love to see a picture. I had the pleasure of hearing them back in the 80s and remember being blown away by them.

Regards,

Tom.

Last edited:
Actually, you might think of getting a single Fresco and using the Encore as the center channel, if you are thinking of replacing your DQ10s. I think that is more what the Encore was designed for.

At least that is how I am using it on my bedroom system. I have Vignettes L and R and rear with the Encore as the center. Sound matches pretty well.

Realize though that ML has many speakers up the food chain that sound considerably better than the Encore.

If you have not had the DQ10s rebuilt yet, I would consider that too. They actually come out better than new.

I bought a pair of rebuilt Dahlquist DQ10s last year for a college room mate of mine. I remembered how good they were and listened to them for a couple of weeks before giving them to him. They were way ahead of their time. Some say they are one of the best speakers ever made. I know I listened to some of the best music I ever heard on them....if you know what I mean.:D

Last edited:
Encore i from Best Buy

I just got 3 last month from Best Buy as well. At the time, they had one in stock and found 4 more (boxed) in the San Francisco store. Since I bought two of the 4 from S.F., good chance they still have the other 2.

Have your local BB check and have them shipped them to you if you are still interested in having 3 Frescos.

Good luck.

P.S. Many stores still have one in stock as their display model. If they can not acquire stock from the S.F. store, have them pull a speaker from each store that still does. Last check 3 weeks ago revealed a number of stores with one still on display.

I'm using the Fresco i's for my center and surrounds matched with two Prefaces for L/R.

Last edited:
thanks for the input

Hi Allen,
I moved this post to the new member intro section. More people will see it here....

I think since they both use the ML ATF drivers, that the Encore TF would be a nice match with the Fresco.

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but how long have you had your DQ-10s? Have you had them rebuilt at all? Would love to see a picture. I had the pleasure of hearing them back in the 80s and remember being blown away by them.

Regards,

Tom.

Tom:
Thank you for your input! If I could find the Fresco i's at Best Buy and they were still on 50% of sale, I would get them instead. However I could not and they are now back to 995 each. The Fresco sounds great for a little speaker and it is perfect for home theater matched with a good sub.
If I could afford a nice pair of ML towers for front L/R I would do that also.
I have not really had the Dahlquist DQ-10's rebuilt. I have refubrished them and replaced the grille cloth, etc. But they are not "rebuilt".
I have decided to get the new pair of Encore TF's and I will use them as my front L/R matched with the Fresco Center for now since I am on a temporary budget until the economy picks up! I can move the Encore's to surrounds and buy two more Fresco's when they finally discontinue them, or something like that, they will not go to waste and the tech at ML told me they were an outstanding value. I am going to keep the DQ-10's in my system as Front B to use for music and may even experiment with them as surrounds for a 7.1 (I only have a 5.1 set up currently)?

Thank you everyone for your input/ advice!!
Allen

Back