Three Channel Amp?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltran

Reaction score
I have a 3.1 system (link in my signature) that is being run with a 5 channel Sunfire TGA 5200 amplifier. I have never directly compared it with another amp, so I can't really comment on sonic nuances, but I like the amp I have because it is as big as would fit in the space I have available and it doesn't produce much heat so it's okay that it doesn't get a lot of ventilation.

However, I recently discovered that there are a number of 3-channel amps on the market, which got me wondering if it makes more sense to have a 3-channel amp in a 3.1 setup.

Would it be a good thing? And if so, does anyone know of a specific high quality 3-channel amp that would fit my needs of reasonable size and low heat?

I would save your money.

I personally would save your money and keep the Sunfire.It is more than enough power than you will ever need.The extra 2 channels will come in handy down the road when you run surrounds.Is there a reason why you do not run surrounds? In today's soundtracks they are almost mandatory and not considered just for fill anymore.Just curious.

Try the Emotiva XPA-3. I just replaced a Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 in my system and it has been a substantial improvement. Clarity, voice resolution (through my Theater center speaker), bass slam, it's all there. I haven't tried it for 2-channel audio, but for HT it is a bargain.

Is there a reason why you do not run surrounds? In today's soundtracks they are almost mandatory and not considered just for fill anymore.Just curious.

I would love to run surrounds, but mine is a rather unusual space, and unless I wanted the speakers to be 6 inches from my ears, there is absolutely nowhere I could put rear speakers on the floor, wall, or ceiling.

Last edited:
Similar dilema

HI,

I had a similar dilema until recently. I was using a Krell Showcase 5 channel amplifier but was only using the 3 channels. So it got me thinking about acquiring a dedicated 3 channel amplifier.

I ended up buying a Theta Dreadnaught - it is an excellent amplifier. Infact it is significantly less expensive than the Krell, but it is much better. They are always available on Audiogon.

Mind you I now have to sell the Krell :)
Cheers
Marc.

Greetings Feltran - I also have the TGA 5200 and use it to bi-amp my Aeon i mains and to run a center, thus, all five amps are used. Until you decide on a three-channel, why not take advantage of the five channels and the dual inputs of the Spires? You may decide to keep the Sunfire after all.

Greetings Feltran - I also have the TGA 5200 and use it to bi-amp my Aeon i mains and to run a center, thus, all five amps are used. Until you decide on a three-channel, why not take advantage of the five channels and the dual inputs of the Spires? You may decide to keep the Sunfire after all.

The "PoweredForce" equipped MLs (Vantages, Summits, Spires) are not supposed to be bi-amped, as they have an internal amplifier that powers the woofer.

All else being equal, having the "excess" capacity of a bigger power supply of a multi-channel amp is a good thing.

F.ex. I have a 3-ch Acurus 100X3 that is capable of delivering more power into 2 channels when the third channel is idle. I dare say it sounds better (bigger) than the comparable 2 channel Acurus.

Whoa slow down

The Sunfire 5-channel amplifier you have is very good. Going to another 3-channel amplifier will most likely be a lateral move if you're not careful. First, you need to figure out what is it about the Sunfire that you want to improve upon. If you need to upgrade amplifiers, perhaps the most musical 3-channel amplifier on the market today is the Pass Labs X3, but that won't fit your "heat" requirement. The others that I've listened to are of the tripple mono variety:
  1. Proceed HPA-3 (now discontinued) 250wpc.
  2. Primare A30.3 120wpc.
I have the Primare in my system and it's very smooth. I was able to drive my ReQuests full-range to loud volume when I tested it out. It was getting warm, but not hot.

Good Luck
Spike

The "PoweredForce" equipped MLs (Vantages, Summits, Spires) are not supposed to be bi-amped, as they have an internal amplifier that powers the woofer.

Sorry, didn't realize:eek:. Now I feel terrible that I mislead you. Let me make it up to you by graciously offering to trade you my Aeon i for your Spires. This way you can take full advantage of the Sunfire and not worry about a replacement.:ROFL:

But seriously, i like Spike's comment. And you never know what the future may have in store, so having a quality amp with expansion capability may come in handy some day.

Back