Any Differecne between late 90's SL3 & early 2000?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsl3

Reaction score
Hello,
I am interested in purchasing a late 1990 SL3, but I wanted to hear from some owners to see what you think. I know in 20001 they made slight changes like going from gold terminals to plastic etc. But, is there a sonic difference? Also, should I expect to replace the panels once I purchase them?

Matt

Eventually, all ESL panels need an update, what varies is how they are treated during their lifetime.

I'd expect an early 2000's sample that was well cared for (non-smoking, Central HVAC, no sunlight room, etc.) to have panels that should still be usable for a few more years.

As a for instance I still have original panels on my 1993 vintage Sequels (same panel as an SL3 BTW), and because I've babied these speakers the entire time, they still perform adequately (a bit of High-Frequency roll-off in both, and a 1dB loss in relative amplitude in one of them). However, when I purchased a used set of SL3's back in '06 for my Center Channel project, the panels needed imediate replacement due to how they had been cared for.

So a lot has to do with maintenance and location.

Therefore, condition, care taken by prior owners, etc will probably have more influence that which year.

I do know there were a few changes in the ESL electronics boards over the production life of the SL3, but all are minor (AFAIK) and likely inconsequential relative to the condition of the rest of the unit.

I have a pair of SL3 from May 2000 (serial number starts with SELE - last year made) that I bought in December. I had a wanted ad on Audiogon, got some responses, and ended up buying the pair that was youngest (which also had the 'clearest' membrane). Others I saw had lots of dirt and pet hair, one had misaligned front and rear stators (I don't understand how this can happen), and another had more 'cloudy dots' than mine. (Other things to look for are wrinkles.) I'm pleased that I got the last year with the latest electronics inside, as it appears there are better parts and better layout than early SL3. I know ESLs in general can be expected to 'fade away,' and I expect these should last at least another 4-5 years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back