Greetings from New York!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfish427

Reaction score
Hi all!

After a long absence, I am finally,(and very happily), getting back into my audio obsession!! I had previously owned some nice high-end equipt, (Pass Labs X250, Plinius SA-100MKIII, Plinius M16P, Shanling CDT-100, Project RM9 table), but had to sell to help fund my daughters expensive college tuition. But, managed to hold on to my beloved Martin Logan Ascents......and now have slowly crept back in, with some much less exotic equipt........but THE LOGAN MAGIC IS BACK!!!
I look forward to visiting and sharing with all fellow Logan owners, and most of all, making some great new freinds!!!!!:music:

Welcome bigfish ! say what's that I see in your avatar.......Olds, Pontiac or Buick ??

Thanks for the welcome twitch......

Its a 71 olds 442....I just finished a few weeks back

Hi Churchill....

The x250 is a marvelous piece of equipt....I miss mine terribly......

Before I purchased the Plinius gear, I ran my X250 with a Rogue 99 tube pre.....matched with the Ascents....sounded fantastic!

I had never owned an amp of this caliber before this. I had some B&K Monoblocks back in college but the Pass blows those away. It can make the Vists's do back flips!!

WOW.........

Jeez.....small world. After havin to sell my expensive stuff....thats what I have now.... I found a mint pair of B&K Sonata M200 monoblocks, and a B&K Sonata PRO10 pre......not quite what I had before, but I have to say, they do a really decent job with the Ascents. I dont really push them hard, and mainly listen to jazz, classic stuff from the 60's(mostly vinyl), but they do the job quite nicely for now. One thing I do have to admit, the bass is a little thin, especially a lower volumes than the Pass or the Plinius gear produced, but again.....they were 5x the price. I just put together a deal for a Depth I, which I hope makes the difference I am missing.......

The B&K's did a great job of running my Kappa 8's and dealing with their low impedance. They did run hot though!

I think adding the sub will definitely make a huge improvement. I recently added a JL Audio F112 to my system and Wow what a huge difference!

Yeah...have to agree with you there churchill.....they get pretty warm......but compared to the Plinius gear....not even close. That amp would run hot enough to cook burgers on sometimes.......especially when run in class a............:eek:

I really hope the Depth does the job......I can't afford a Descent right now.....and really want to stay with a Logan sub

IMO, The 'Plinny' runs respectably warm when biased into Class A yet when in A/B it's as cool as a cucumber !

just for 'chits and giggles' I put a digital thermometer above the heat sinks on my SA-102 while fully biased into Class A, 136 degrees ! That was after being at idle for five minutes or so, when playing music I suspect the temp would drop by at least 5 degrees or so.

Maybe the SA-102 runs a bit cooler due to different design/circuitry?...or maybe my SA-100MKIII had an underlying problem that I was unaware of....but when biased in A for a couple of hours, the top was what I would consider to be hot....and one could barely touch the heatsinks. Even my Plinny M-16P pre ran pretty warm to the touch after jogging all day......much warmer that any other ss preamp that I had experience with..

Both seemed to perform flawlessly, and they sounded as good, make that great!!(in some cases better than the Pass stuff I had)...........but the heat thing did bother me.
Maybe because of my auto background........heat is "never" a good thing......:(

Last edited:
I really hope the Depth does the job......I can't afford a Descent right now.....and really want to stay with a Logan sub

I'm sure you will be very pleased with the quality of bass you will get from the depth including the amount. Especially knowing the type of music and volume that you alluded too. I think I'm in the camp of not using a sub when just listening to two channel, but many seem to really like it and enjoy the results. Let us know what your experience is when you add the depth.

Glen

Thanks Glen......

I'm sure it will.....I have read all kinds of raves about the Depth.....and being a Logan junkie....unless I can afford a Descent, which is out of the question right now...its (I think) a no brainer.

I will post some pics...and results....later this upcoming week after it arrives...:rocker:

Back