Logitech Squeezebox Touch!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Some chatter on the net recently about the forthcoming Squeezebox Touch, which reportedly will natively stream 24/96 tracks! If so, this would be my dream device, with digital output to my Benchmark DAC. It supposedly also has a 4.3" color LCD touch screen, for both playback control and cover art display. The Logitech/Slimdevices website has not officially announced it, but I found this pic leaked on the net. Looking forward to the actual details/specs.

Attachments

• touch.jpg
    touch.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 774
Hey - I saw this last night. Not sure if this is a fake? No official word as yet.

Two things - 1: It looks good
but
2: What's the point when you've got a Wi-Fi controller?

Still.......if it natively streams 24/96 (or better 24/192) then I'll certainly get one!

looks like it addresses the key thing that the original squeezebox did not, the visual interface. Should be a winner!

That's exactly my point - most people control it with a handheld remote - be it a iTouch, iPhone, Windows Mobile or Squeezebox Remote - meaning the screen will be a bit of a waste! What's more, I thought the VFD was very nice to read from across the room. I would have actually liked to have seen a nice, bright orange OLED one!

Still - it looks nice and if the screen can be implemented at low cost then I'm all for it. And if the news about streaming 24/96 (and subsequently outputting it to S/PDIF) is true then it's even better.

Well, the Touch is now official, but, unfortunately, not shipping until December, due to delays with the next version of Squeezecenter. The 24/96 capability sounds great, but I'm concerned whether the smaller screen will be visible from my listening position. The display is narrower than the Squeezebox Classics (2 or 3), and does not appear to feature the LARGE font option of those earlier models. However, I'm sure somebody will develop a plug-in, if necessary, to improve visibility beyond 10 ft. Time will also tell if Logitech has continued Slimdevices standard of providing audiophile grade, low-jitter playback, at a mid-fi price point!

http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/products/squeezebox-touch.html

I'm fairly sure I'll upgrade to this newest version, but I'll probably treat it like I do a new computer operating system: Wait until the first revision when they work out the kinks and issues. :D

Looks nice, but typical advertising waffle - no concrete technical info yet. Same - I continue to wait.

I also saw something on the Squeezebox radio - see other thread.

Hey sleepysurf,

I finally got the ReadyNAS NV+ up and running. Ha, ha... It only took a year and a freakin' NASA rocket scientist. Works great with the squeezebox and I can run it from my MacBook.

Thanks for trying to help me with that, but it was a language I don't understand very well.

Satch

Congrats! Better late than never!

I'm hoping the native 24/96 capability of the Touch will allow me to go back to running SqueezeCenter on my NV+, rather than my office laptop. The NV+ doesn't have the processing HP needed for high-res downsampling (via SOX).

Hey sleepysurf,

I finally got the ReadyNAS NV+ up and running. Ha, ha... It only took a year and a freakin' NASA rocket scientist. Works great with the squeezebox and I can run it from my MacBook.

Thanks for trying to help me with that, but it was a language I don't understand very well.

Satch

Here's a very interesting thread (on AA) with some additional insight from one of the Squeezebox Touch beta testers. Sounds quite promising from an audiophile perspective (especially feeding an outboard DAC), and the hint of theoretical 24/192 or USB DAC capability down the road is also intriguing...
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=59877

Last edited:
I wonder if my current ReadyNAS NV+ will support the 24/96 rate? My home network is wired so I don't have a bandwidth problem, but I'm not sure I'd be interested if I have to do an upgrade to my server, too. I'm almost certainly going to wait until the touch has been in the field for awhile until I'm convinced I can may a pretty seamless transition. I'm quite happy with my NV+ and really don't want to fiddle with it (particularly since earlier this year I was able to successfully upgrade it to 4 1TB disks :D ).

Finally!!!!! After countless delays, Logitech just released Squeezebox Server 7.5.0 tonight, and announced the Touch will start shipping tomorrow! True 24/96 hi-res playback, here I come!

Alan,

Will the ReadyNAS NV+ be able to handle the 24/96 files and share with the new Squeezebox. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but you're way ahead of me on this.

Ray

I honestly don't know if the ReadyNAS NV+ (or earlier iterations) will EVER be able to handle 24/96 streams. However, I think one of the goals of the 7.6 (beta) Squeezebox Server is to consolidate it so it can run on devices with less processing power (like the Touch itself), so time will tell. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath!

Back