I have a body-shaped dent in my bedroom ceiling...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube60

Reaction score
The other night the cheapie powered subwoofer I have in the den decided to have a parasitic filter network die an ugly death...... and of course the standby circuitry sensed a signal..... and released a 60 - 80 hz signal to the output devices at full voltage.... it went BANG!!!!!! BBBBWWWWAAAAAAAA!!!!!! at full power which hurled me ceilingwards! Needless to say I ran over to the sub and yanked the plug out of the wall..... scared the hell outta me! It's amazing how much power an out of control class D amp can put out!:eek::wow:

The other night the cheapie powered subwoofer I have in the den decided to have a parasitic filter network die an ugly death...... and of course the standby circuitry sensed a signal..... and released a 60 - 80 hz signal to the output devices at full voltage.... it went BANG!!!!!! BBBBWWWWAAAAAAAA!!!!!! at full power which hurled me ceilingwards! Needless to say I ran over to the sub and yanked the plug out of the wall..... scared the hell outta me! It's amazing how much power an out of control class D amp can put out!:eek::wow:

That will wake you, that's for sure :p

Check the driver in the sub, as sometimes the surrounds can get damaged after a max-power application like that.

Key thing is to ensure no punctures or cracks.

A friends old (22+ year old) ULD-18's servo-control cable went nuts, and the driver as driven to max excursion (and locked there) several times. It ripped the surround :eek:

We pulled, sent it off for a new surround, put it back and it all still worked OK.

Speaker systems are a lot more resilient than one would think.

Check the driver in the sub, as sometimes the surrounds can get damaged after a max-power application like that.
Yeah, I'll check it out later. One way or 'nuther I paid $89.95 for it 5 years ago, so I'm not too put out by it's failure!;) I could pull the driver and put it in a better enclosure, and a better amp to drive it. Seems like they put the money into the driver and not the rest of it!:rolleyes:

I tore it apart this morning. 10" driver is okay. The filter caps in the power supply exploded; they probably saw A/C to ground after some or all the rectifier diodes croaked. The caps literally ballooned out and blew their tops off, and yanked the soldered terminals out of the circuit board at the bottom. That was probably the loud bang I heard first off. Ah well, time for a new one sometime! But I'll probably make one. The enclosure on this one is 3/8" MDF!:eek: No wonder it was so boomy.

I had a similar big 'sound' lately... Help me with this... I have a blu ray player hooked directly to my tv via hdmi... and analog 7.1s to my preamp... Everything is shutdown - and I unplug the hdmi from my blu-ray --- I am holding the hdmi cable in my right hand and as tube60 says....'BWAAAAAAAAAAAAA'.... a fan in the room was going at the time...so don't know if that caused the issue... but, I unplug the hdmi and everything is shutdown and I get the nasty? The amp somehow got the signal and did an 'auto-on' ..I just don't know how that causes it....

I unplug the hdmi and everything is shutdown and I get the nasty? The amp somehow got the signal and did an 'auto-on'
Could be you created a ground loop with your body as you were holding the cable. Or it was acting as an antenna somehow.

Latest posts

Back