Help for the indecisive?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potatohead

Reaction score
I folks. I'm new to online chat as well as this club. From what I see there's a lot of useful advise out there for both beginner and expert alike so I guess I'll just dive into it.
I bought Claritys in Dubai about 3 years ago, and over the last 6 months have stripped my system back to 2-channel, with Krell KAV-400xi integrated amp, Arcam DV137 and an old Nak MB1s. All surround sound is banished to basement TV room and upstairs is music only. The Claritys do not sound as full as I'd like on the lower end and I'm considering adding a Dynamo subwoofer. Would this be a good match?
I've tinkered with speaker placement considerably and while there's been some improvement it's not enough to make me happy.

PHENOMENAL IDEA! I think the Dynamo is a perfect mate for the Clarity and I recently found out that the Dynamo is no longer price protected which means they are likely about to phase it out of the line up. I'm sure they will release a replacement model soon that will be a little bit better (likely for a little more $) but you should be able to snag a Dynamo for a better price now. Do it! :D

I haven't heard the Dynamo but I have my Clarity's mated with with the Grotto i and I can highly recommend it.
To be honest with you, when I'm listening in 2 channel, I do it in bypass mode without the sub and the bass is quite nice (but definitely not earth shaking) when I play a good recording. I would have thought that the Krell would really pack punch in the lower registers.
Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

Depending on how much bass you are wanting you may require a sub or it could be more due to a speaker placement issue. Have you tried moving the Clarity's around or moving your listening seat back or more forward? If you are sitting in a null zone which cancels lower bass frequencies then this could definitely starve the soundstage of body and cause a thin sound. Of course this is assuming you are able to move the speakers around a bit. There are plenty of people on here that are very knowledgeable when it comes to proper setup and even sub placement so if you could post a picture that would probably help. Good luck.

Glen

I would say ,add the sub. I run strictly 2 channel and found adding a depth sub to my Odyssey's really made the music a lot better. It seems to give more foundation to the music and expand the soundstage fuller. I wouldn't go without it after hearing it and plan on getting another 1 sometime. Hope this helps you out.

Back