ML Summit X's not matched??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hola...all pairs of ML are matched, and at the carton box says matched with number...also when you replace a bad stat panel, you have to change both too. They are mirror match!...happy listening,
Roberto.

Mine say exactly that - that is, "PAIR WITH" and the other serial number. In my opinion, matched pairs are essential. You haven't bought $399 B+Ws here - these are HIGH end!

I'd say the most likely scenario is that your dealer or distributor has stuffed up. Even if ML don't see a problem, sequential speakers leave the factory sequentially because that's the whole idea! This being the case, the dealer will have the matched pair, but I'd say he's just gone up to his stock room and grabbed the first two boxes he has seen.

I'd be taking them back to his front door and demanding sequential.

+1

I was thinking the same thing. Dealer or whomever runs the stock-room was just happy to get rid of the stock and grabbed whatever was there. My dealer knows I'd want to strangle him if he had done that to me!

I will bet you guys look at the sticker on the inside of the door jam of the car you are going to buy to see what day of the week it was made on come on tell the truth you know you have lol

I will bet you guys look at the sticker on the inside of the door jam of the car you are going to buy to see what day of the week it was made on come on tell the truth you know you have lol

Almost.....maybe! But hey, I'm not rich and when I extend myself to buy something superior to mainstream crap I expect to actually receive something superior.

It's a two-way street.......I'm paying more money than mainstream, but I damn straight well expect something more in return too!!!

Guys, thanks for the support on this. i'm positive that the dealer scenario is the likely truth here. There will be another owner who's in the same situation. My buddy got his somewhat resolved with "revisionist" thinking, but the fact of the matter is that the boxes don't lie...these should have been matched. Oh well, ML is "fixing" it and all is well, I guess....until the other owner figures it out. :)

what happens if I want to buy just one for my center channel would that ruin a pair?

what happens if I want to buy just one for my center channel would that ruin a pair?

I can't believe this argument that ML can't produce single versions for center channels. All other speaker companies I've ever dealt with have center channel capabilities, be they little brother versions or buying a third identical one for trifield, etc. It's a very very simple accounting/production issue. Just like producing apired serial numbers. Fish man, what is your own reasoning/explanation for ML's "pair with this mate" language on their boxes?

probably because they know you guys will get upset at the manufactures and dealers if they get mixed up I guess

Guys, thanks for the support on this. i'm positive that the dealer scenario is the likely truth here. There will be another owner who's in the same situation. My buddy got his somewhat resolved with "revisionist" thinking, but the fact of the matter is that the boxes don't lie...these should have been matched. Oh well, ML is "fixing" it and all is well, I guess....until the other owner figures it out. :)

Personally, I don't think this is good enough. ML wouldn't write "PAIR WITH" on the box if it didn't matter. That would annoy me, even if I couldn't hear a mismatch.

We're not talking about a pair of Montage here - this is the SUMMIT-X!

Don't involve ML because it's likely not their fault - get the dealer to sort this out pronto. You don't have to be agressive or confrontationalist - just say "Hey - you've given me speakers from two different pairs - how should we handle this?"

Last edited:
I personally would not care a flying !*?% and a rolling donut but I would not tell my dealer that try to use it as leverage on getting a nice looking pair of speaker interconnects to hook them up with at cost say a $2,000.00 a pair for $1,200.00 there mark is usually 40% or more if they are a really good dealer they will just give them to you as they probably already made like 6k on the deal.

I personally would not care a flying !*?% and a rolling donut but I would not tell my dealer that try to use it as leverage on getting a nice looking pair of speaker interconnects to hook them up with at cost say a $2,000.00 a pair for $1,200.00 there mark is usually 40% or more if they are a really good dealer they will just give them to you as they probably already made like 6k on the deal.

Maybe I'm just obsessive-compulsive?

Maybe I'm just obsessive-compulsive?

no its just that we are bothered by different things that's all.heres an example there is a VPI aries TT on the Gon right now it is in perfect condition exept for the fact that the Name tag was glued on crooked from the factory:( OMG not sure if I could own this table even if it where given to me such a shame.well ok maybe if it where free but it would still **** me off that someone in the factory made such a mistake.

anyway when do we get to see a pic of these summit X's anyway?

Attachments

• vpi.jpg
    vpi.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 162
no its just that we are bothered by different things that's all.heres an example there is a VPI aries TT on the Gon right now it is in perfect condition exept for the fact that the Name tag was glued on crooked from the factory:( OMG not sure if I could own this table even if it where given to me such a shame.well ok maybe if it where free but it would still **** me off that someone in the factory made such a mistake.

anyway when do we get to see a pic of these summit X's anyway?

I couldn't own it either. Makes you wonder what else is so slap-dash put together if they can't even glue their name on the front correctly!!!

We're not talking about a pair of Montage here - this is the SUMMIT-X!

Don't involve ML because it's likely not their fault - get the dealer to sort this out pronto. You don't have to be agressive or confrontationalist - just say "Hey - you've given me speakers from two different pairs - how should we handle this?"

I had this happen to me about 7 years ago with a pair of Klipsch RF7s. Keep in mind this was a $2400 pair of speakers not a $15K pair of speakers, so my solutiuon may have been different than what is appropriate here. It was definitely the dealer (Sound Advice) that mixed them up in the Orlando warehouse. They had sold off the other pair so it was either return this pair or find another solution. I compromised at a 20% discount ($500) which was about what the freight would have cost them both ways.

When I sold them off I passed on that discount and was able to sell them to someone to whom the anomolie didn't matter as much as the price. I'm not sure it will be quite as easy to find a buyer for a used pair of high priced speakers to which the serial numbers won't matter.

Last edited:
my Spires are sequential...

for me, for that kind of $, if the box said matched pairs, it
would bug the hell out of me if the dealer gave me unmatched.
I'd take them back, otherwise you'd really get penalized on resale.

matched numbers or not, after speaking with ML as others have noted, they match to reference, and then number them. Apparently they make them in a similar timeframe, however they are NOT made together on the same jig.

That said, all the balance issues I ever had were due to brown truck damage.

In fact, few high end speaker drivers are matched... just the cabinets carry sequential numbers, as is the same for capacitors etc. All can vary some.

Back