ML Summit X's not matched??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted_b

Reaction score
I am new to this fine forum, and have always loved ML's ever since hearing Monoliths in my local N OH dealer many moons ago . I am toying with getting a smaller pair for my 2 channel-only family room...but I am concerned about one thing in particular.

I have a good buddy in FL who just bought a pair of Summit X's (and convinced his buddy/neighbor to do the same). He likes the sound so far (breaking them in, of course) and was beginning the owners process by filling out the registration. Lo and behold, his two Summit X's are from different pairs, numbers like 6Dxx18 and 6Eyy31 (i.e each speaker is not numerically sequential and each box mentions another speaker, like 6Dxx19, that should be part of its match...seems normal). As he realized this (likely switched somewhere in the process, and now another owner has likely the mismatched mirrored pair too) he called ML. They told him that the speakers are NOT matched, they are tested individually (???) and the numbering process is just to keep finishes and wood types straight! Really?? Not matched?? I know that no two speakers (especially the crossover electronics) are not alike, and even subtle differences need to be accounted for. This is true at very hi levels of production quality, in any industry.

I'm less inclined to go this route if this is true, but I wanted to post here first. Maybe the ML sales/CS guy was having a bad day? Maybe the speakers are so incredibly well produced that ALL of them match to within mirrored specs? If so, why the instructions on the box that "this speaker is matched with ...." ? Seems this would be confusing, tough to track within ML systems, and make any resale quite problematic. Thanks for the help or opinion.
Ted

I don't have Summit Xs, but I have two pairs of Logans (Purities and Spires) and both of them are sequentially numbered. I can't imagine they would have changed this for the Summit X.

I don't mean to misrepresent that they changed it for the Summit X's (the wording on the boxes still says "matched to s/n 'xxxx' ") but that ML is saying (paraphrased) "no big deal; just really for wood finish inventory reasons; no reason to return them or find the matching speaker". It feels like either a backpedal (gives me customer service concerns) or it's a quality concern...either way, I'm concerned.

I don't mean to misrepresent that they changed it for the Summit X's (the wording on the boxes still says "matched to s/n 'xxxx' ") but that ML is saying (paraphrased) "no big deal; just really for wood finish inventory reasons; no reason to return them or find the matching speaker". It feels like either a backpedal (gives me customer service concerns) or it's a quality concern...either way, I'm concerned.

Talk to Jim Power. If he agrees, then...

For past models "matching" panels was a big deal.

they do not match speakers they are sold in eaches not pairs.my spire are sequential but my vantage where not as long as they sound the same who cares.

Fish Man, thanks, but no offense....you quote "please handle the audio signal carefully" is exactly what I'm talking about. His Summit X's are like 2 weeks old. How's he gonna know, throughout the break-in if they are mismatched or not, and if sold in "eaches" then why the wording on the boxes? I envision shipping them back for warranty work and the boxes being held up waiting for the maching set...

OK, maybe I'm overreatcing but this is a mixed message...and at BIg $$$.

FWIW, I too would share your concern. My Spires have sequential serial numbers, and correctly match the "pair with" markings on the box. At this level of expenditure, I would expect (and accept) nothing less than perfection.

As others have said, it's worth having a chat with Jim Powers about this.

Yeah, Jim will set you straight.

However, I remember when touring the factory, that each speaker is individually measured to the reference standard after build, not to a mirrored pair.

So, theoretically, this could be true.

OK so sequential serial numbers = matched ? if I have sat 52 and 53 and you buy 54 and 55 how do I know that know that 53 and 54 where not the matched speakers? if they truly matched them at the factory they would not use the serial number system they do.they would more likely label them something like
xd18592-01
xd18592-02

I know that everybody plans to keep their Logans forever so this may not be applicable...

Sequential serial numbers of speakers (or pairs of monoblocks, etc) are much easier to sell and could bring higher resale some day.

So Jim Power has confirmed that although each are tested individually it makes good sense to have them numbered sequentially due to veneer variation, resale issues and just to clear up any warranty confusion. He's creating new numbers for my buddy and sending them along. Good stuff. Thanks all....

OK so sequential serial numbers = matched ? if I have sat 52 and 53 and you buy 54 and 55 how do I know that know that 53 and 54 where not the matched speakers?

Because each box has a "pair with" (or similar) notice. So one box would say:

Serial number: 52
Pair with: 53

And the other box would say:

Serial number: 53
Pair with: 52

Another good reason to keep the original packaging, if space allows...

Because each box has a "pair with" (or similar) notice. So one box would say:

Serial number: 52
Pair with: 53

And the other box would say:

Serial number: 53
Pair with: 52

Another good reason to keep the original packaging, if space allows...

I do not know that mine said that I got some of the very first ones I ordered mine like within days of being able too then again I did not spend much time looking at the outside of the cardboard box lol

surely their must be something better for us fine gents to do on a summers afternoon lol

Mine say exactly that - that is, "PAIR WITH" and the other serial number. In my opinion, matched pairs are essential. You haven't bought $399 B+Ws here - these are HIGH end!

I'd say the most likely scenario is that your dealer or distributor has stuffed up. Even if ML don't see a problem, sequential speakers leave the factory sequentially because that's the whole idea! This being the case, the dealer will have the matched pair, but I'd say he's just gone up to his stock room and grabbed the first two boxes he has seen.

I'd be taking them back to his front door and demanding sequential.

So are mine.

I've had three different pais of ML's and they all had sequencial numbers.

I thought that it was because the panels were made at the same time, not so much concerning the woofer cases and having the wood match. I seem to recall discussions here about it being important that the panels were made at the same time. Sounds to me like someone mixed up the pairs.

Does it matter? I don't really know, although I'd bet 99% of us have sequencial numbers. Who knows :rolleyes:

JM

Back