Next 20 Years - What Audio Advancements Would You Most Like To See?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
Following on from the "Last 20 Years - Any Real Audio Advancements?" thread.

OK - lots is wrong in hi-fi according to you. So what is it that is wrong and how would you like to see it improve within the next 20 years?

Imaginations could run pretty wild here so let's try and keep it realistic(ish)!:)

Wireless without sound degradation, and speakers the size of Bose that sound like true hi-fi. Or, at least if speakers can't be tiny, I want them to not require separate subwoofers.

-All new music released in superbly recorded/mastered 24/96 high-res formats, with album art, tags, and liner notes included
-Cool running Class D amps with improved midrange and treble, rivaling the best Class A or tube designs (wishful thinking, I know!)
-A stereo preamp, which includes a (more) powerful audiophile-grade version of Audyssey (or similar) room/speaker response correction
-JonFo relocates to Tampa, FL

I would like to see the Bose lifestyle system discountinued.
look at how bad it sucks

Attachments

• bose-lifestyle-v20.791878.jpg
    bose-lifestyle-v20.791878.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
"All new music released in superbly recorded/mastered 24/96 high-res formats"

And all new high quality remasters of old classics. Why won't
Neil Young remaster After the Goldrush, Harvest ?
Fleetwood Mac... Bare Trees, Then Play On ? These were made
in 1990...Beatles are finally doing it.

Also, more powerful, better sounding integrated amps, eliminate
separates altogether. The wireless would be nice to eliminate the
ripoff cable scams.

Big speaker sound from smaller, lighter boxes. The Definitive
Technology Mythos STs are good in this regard. They've gotten
great reviews in the audiophile press. Anyone heard them?
Relatively inexpensive too.

Last edited:
next 20 days, not years:

CD quality "lossless" downloads on Itunes store...none of that
compressed crap. I haven't bought a single song because of
their format.

next 20 days, not years:

CD quality "lossless" downloads on Itunes store...none of that
compressed crap. I haven't bought a single song because of
their format.

Much of my music is in Lossless, but since they switched from 128kbps to 256kbps, I have no complaints. I really can't tell the difference between Lossless and 256kbps 99% of the time.

I'd like to see recordings that truly rival a live performance.

As we've discussed in another thread, I believe there is nothing wrong with our amps/speakers/rooms/source equipment / or even microphones. It is wholly the recording (or recording process) that holds us back.

I don't know where the issue lies (we've got pretty high res analogue and digital these days), but I'd like it solved.

a full range and I stress FULL speaker that is perfectly directional and adjustable with the resolution and sound of the highest end speakers available. this way we could all listen anywhere without disturbing others or bothering with room treatments

I'd like to see recordings that truly rival a live performance.

I doubt it will ever happen.......There is so much that goes into a live concert (orchestrally speaking) that I can't imagine a reproduction ever being able to duplicate it.

Myself, I'm fortunate to live within close proxemity to not only one of the finest Orchestras in the world but a great Hall to boot (Phila Orchestra and The Kimmel Center). Between the Orchestra and Peter Nero's Pops I get to 5-6 concerts a year, I see NOTHING replacing that in my lifetime.

Likewise, I used to live 15 minutes away from the Sydney Opera House, Edo de Waart and the SSO - and attend upwards of 10 concerts a year (including Jazz), but alas, finding good performances in Queensland is a bit more difficult.

Still - wouldn't move back to Sydney for quids!

Trying to like Neil... really wish I could like him better.

But for all wishes, I would have liked to have been in the studio or wherever he was when he felt he played his best "Down By The River..."

Because that has some nice spontaneous "play it as you feel it" guitar work in it.

Much of my music is in Lossless, but since they switched from 128kbps to 256kbps, I have no complaints. I really can't tell the difference between Lossless and 256kbps 99% of the time.

even on your Spires? i've recorded my CDs using totally
"lossless" and slightly compressed "Apple lossless" and i can tell a
difference... and the Apple lossless is way less compressed than
the 256bps, Itunes current best quality download.

Since you're in Denver, Feltran, you in the market for another
pair of very well maintained Spires? I live in Centennial...

Well, Justin beat me to it, after my rather lengthy reply to the "past 20 years" question (see full length version on my site), I started editing a forecast article. Guess I shouldn’t write for hours before posting a new topic ;)

Anyway, I had published my even-longer article on the future last night, and touched it up this am.

So I’ll cross-post by topic here just like I did in the other thread.

Grab a drink and have fun: :cool:

True vector-encoded surround formats

True vector-encoded surround formats

This is something that has been desired for a long time, and certain attempts have been made in the past (Ambisonics being a notable one I admire). But whatever the tech, a new formalized format for encoding a full 3D acoustic space that is totally abstracted from the speaker configuration will arrive and be adopted.

Vector encoding is critical to truly preserving the spatial positioning intent of the artist/producer. Much like a vector encoded image can reproduce well at low resolution or at 10x the resolution (say when printing). Such as the difference between an Illustrator image vs a bitmap image. Scaling of the bitmap can be done, but looks ragged and blocky as you increase magnification 10x, but an illustrator rendering is perfect at any selected output size.

In contrast to the current discreet mess of 2, 6, 8 or more channels, vector encoded audio will finally split the responsibilities where they belong: Spatial positioning in the artists hands and adaptive, environment and equipment specific rendering in the hands of the consumer.

Imaging and resolution of placement is now controlled by the playback system and its dynamic configuration.

This paradigm is adaptable to binaural (headphones), 2ch or multi-speaker arrays.

Get ready to see systems with dozens, even hundreds of uniquely addressable sound reproduction emitters. Mine will definitely be one of those ;)

Since a vector encoded sound source could be more compact than a high-rez multichannel, expect to see delivery via all channels, even network. Platforms such as BluRay, that support extensible Audio container formats will likely be one of the first to provide this in a physical media.

Last edited:
Back