request replacement panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slr5000

Reaction score
hi all
ive recently purchased a set of quest off ebay and apon getting them home i noticed they have had request panels fitted

now after listening to them for a week ive noticed that the soundstage is shifted slightly to the left side and apon futher inspection the centre 300mm of the right panel has little to no output it also has quite a lot of wrinkles on this panels membrane

so i have been dudded by ebay again:mad:ive priced some new request panels which are $au 2000:eek: do i have any other options or do i just have to fork out the $2000 and try to move on

are the old panels easily repaired and if i buy the replacement panels are they any different in design like better materials or such

regards sheafer

Request panels are technically the same but are a bit different in the bottom area. That being said I would have to say , WHY did this happen? Was the seller forthright with this ? If not tell him you want a refund on the panels or dispute it with your credit card company or Pay pal.

What C.A.P said. You don't want to be dudded with any purchase.

Now - if you do want to keep the speakers (and damn fine speakers they are), you can try two things before replacing the panels. (Three actually).

1: Clean really well with a vacuum (cup your hand around the nozzle to get really good pressure between it and the panel) - spend about five minutes on each panel - back and front.

2: Use a hairdryer (instructions elsewhere on this site) to try and smooth the wrinkles.

3: Take the panels to the shower.

If all of these fail then you've got no option but to replace the panels.

hi all
yes im very dissapointed as i love the sound ,they still sound good as is but the soundstage being slightly off to the left is annoying and now that i know the middle of the right panel has little to no output it makes it hard to enjoy them

they were not set up when i picked them up so i could not demo them and i took the lady,s word that they had been checked out by a dealer and found to be ok
she also says that a few guys from the local audio club checked them over and also found them to be ok

i can only pressume that if thats the case they either did not listen to them (just looked over them)
or did not know to check the panel for dead spots as its pretty obvious the soundstage is shifted to one side and if they did listen to them they should have noticed this and investigated further

as it stands the lady is refusing to reimburse me or refund and saying they were perfect when they left her house so im very unhappy at the moment she seems to think im just causing trouble ,if they were functioning perfect as described then i would be happy as i got them for a fair price but they are not as described and so i expect to be either reimbursed for half the panel cost or given a full refund

regards sheafer

Call Martin Logan before applying heat.

You may want to call them before applying heat.Jim Powers told me that you can only do that with certain panels,not all of them.The CLS panels are the only panels I know for sure that you can apply heat to.I am sorry to hear about your situation.

hi all
thanks for the advice so far
ive already vacumed the panels so i might try the shower method next and see how it goes

cheers

"SPEAKERS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION - (EXCEPT AT VERY BOTTOM OF ONE SPEAKER THERE IS A TINY LADDER - YOU HAVE TO LOOK VERY, VERY CLOSELY TO SEE IT BUT I AM HONOUR BOUND TO POINT IT OUT."

what an Ahole I would apply as much heat as possible! if he had said "as is condition" that would be a different story

yes very dissapointing
there is also heaps of very small holes in the bass grill cloth they look to be either from sparks from a fire place or insects or something

the panels were also slipped down about 20mm which i did not notice until getting them home

hi mate
aside from the small holes in the cloth and very minor wrinkles in the membrane theres nothing to take a pic of
thats the problem the speakers look great to look at its the dead spot in the centre of the right panel thats got me peeved its very noticeable when playing music and the reason i want a refund

im not prepared to spend $2000 grand on new panels to fix this problem when the seller said they were working perfectly
if they were honest and told me about this i would never have bought them

ive contacted the seller and asked for a full refund ,i have also reported this to ebay so im now awaiting a responce

You should inspect the equipment very carefully and note discrepancies. I would also contact the E-Bay folks, they may be able to negate the deal. If you are quick and decide not to accept the speakers, you may be able to get the bank or paypal to do something.

Since none of that will probably work, see if you can get any local ML owners to take a look and listen. Ditto dealer (although he may not be too happy to do so) if you have one in the area.

Finally, get a new set of panels and repair the cosmetic problems.

im not prepared to spend $2000 grand on new panels to fix this problem when the seller said they were working perfectly
if they were honest and told me about this i would never have bought them

this guy screwed himself because if he was honest he could have sold them to somebody who was willing to do the repairs now he is probably going to have to take them back and refund your money what a jerk.

hi all
well i just recieved word from the seller that they are prepared to offer me $ 1000 refund which is half the money for the new panels

this is a big relief i really love the speakers and this will allow me to keep them and just replace the panels so they work as they should ill still be an extra $1000 out of pocket but i can live with that

if it works out and she comes through ill be a happy man that there is still some honest people left in the world ,all i wanted is to get what i paid for which is speakers that work as described and i can enjoy

it also serves as a warning to others that if you buy logans second hand you must listen to them(not just look) before you buy and run your ear up and down the panels to check for this problem

most people would not notice the panel problem with a quik listen so i think she honestly did not know about it but to a person like me who also builds speakers it was immeadiatly evident there was a problem the first time i pluged them in and played them and once i ran my ear up and down the panels i noticed that the right panel had almost no output in the centre sections

the top section of the panel still playes as it should so it masked the problem to a certain extent

regards sheafer

Good luck and I'm glad you're happy.

On that note, I've always said - if you buy 'Logans second hand, ensure you budget for new panels - even if not necessary........it's like when you buy a second hand car you budget for a full service - even if it has just been done.

Back