Effect of high quality iso transformer on CLSs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raanan

Reaction score
Russ Dewalt built a 60 lb. isolation transformer for my main system-CLSs driven by an ARC VS-110 from 160 cps. up.He wounded the transformer,based on the long experience that he has accumulated from designing and making his 60 watt Triode SET monoblocks.
As he said before we connected the transformer-"I hope that it will do something."
The sound with the transformer-more refined,liquid,smooth,fuller,dynamic,and obviously more like music.

So is this an AC isolation transformer, right?

From your post I couldn't quite tell. At 60 pounds, I'm guessing AC.

What KVA rating?

And is there a voltage step-up (or down) function in that transformer (i.e 110v in = 115v out)?

That might explain a bit the effect. But as I tested in this post, there was no diff on a Monolith.
However, using an SL3 was subject to a lowering of the high-frequency SPL the lower the input AC voltage.

Also, in general, a good isolation transformer will clean up the front end electronics a good bit if your power has a lot of hash in it to start with. So you might be hearing those benefits as well.

3Kva.
Sound can sound fuller in 2 situations:1)Relative reduction of HF content compared to mids and lows,and 2)When there are more harmonics sound appears fuller.
Needs some experience to hazard an educated guess which of the 2 we are experiencing.

Back