Dudley's comments on CLX...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering how difficult it is to get even passable sound at a hifi show, I'm amazed any of the mfrs even bother. That's why we never write show reports...

I'm always much more interested in just seeing what's new, talking to people in the industry and lining up reviews. So many manufacturers get crucified by show reports and I've heard the same mfr. have great sound one year and terrible sound the next, with the only difference being the room.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes!

you think this is bad imagine trying to display exotic fish at a show all they have to do is decide not to feel good and you are screwed!

Jeff , while I tend to agree with you and good Lord knows you have been to many more shows than myself I do feel though that there is an ounce or two of 'laziness' involved........case in point....last years RMAF, Bobby Palkovic, took the time to acousticaly treat his Merlin room. His efforts payed off with beautifull sound with the Merlin / Joule Elctra combo.

Well, I didn't say no one gets good sound, but it's usually pretty tough. A lot of times the sound is certainly passable, but it's been pretty rare that I've heard the fairly exotic stuff sound as good as it is capable at shows.

Mike Dzurko of ACI is someone who usually teams up with GIK Acoustics and gets pretty good sound at RMAF.

I see good 'ole "danman" has posted on AC regarding this Dudley thread. He posts: "I have never seen anything so pathetic coming from a bunch of know it all's that 99% NEVER even heard a Bryston!"

I tried to calm the kid down but he appears to have a real bug up his butt !

Keep in mind he can't be too bright...for he touts about going on business trips to Montreal for the past 14 years, yet dosen't even know of the two best Steak houses in town ??? (Moishes and Queve de Cheval)

I tried to calm the kid down but he appears to have a real bug up his butt !
I don't think any of us understand what almost amounts to religious zeal/dogma when it comes to audio. Not worth wasting bits on !
moneybags said:
Keep in mind he can't be too bright...for he touts about going on business trips to Montreal for the past 14 years, yet dosen't even know of the two best Steak houses in town ??? (Moishes and Queve de Cheval)
Queue de Cheval ? You must be made of money, Dave ! :bowdown: You should check the comments on the place on chowhound.com.

It's just pretty funny, what he doesn't realize is that most of us HAVE heard Bryston and we just don't like it....

But as always, he can't separate his possessions from his personality. Just because you don't like Bryston, doesn't mean that it's neccessarily bad and doesn't mean you're any less of a human being because someone doesn't appreciate your toys.

Didn't like Bryston with my Acoustats either, but not bad with Magnepans.

Who cares?

I have heard Bryston products many times in many setups, and still do not like them. Big deal...who cares...that is why there are so many products out there to choose from.

And the earth is still turning...imagine that...

Last edited:
Now this might sound funny - but I only have to look inside a Bryston to know it isn't going to sound good... and when they (the bigger ones) get fired up, that assertion is more than proven.

Brilliant guarantees - but I couldn't live with one for more than a few minutes - never mind a sentence of 20 years!:devil::devil::devil::devil: (where's the man with a rope round his neck emoticon?)

you think this is bad imagine trying to display exotic fish at a show all they have to do is decide not to feel good and you are screwed!

Decide not too feel good or did they die?

Next time that they slow way down then all you have to do is pull a Monty Python and explain that they are only sleeping fish:D

Or that they are just trying to sneek up on their prey:D:D

Whatever you do don't break a smile, people will respect that.:D

And if they buy that, they will probably still buy the fish.

I still think one has to listen to a component and not base it on looks or specs. But if you are a tube lover then seeing bipolars or mosfets may turn you off immediately.

It's really all about finding what you like. If he's found nirvana with Bryston that's great. A company doesn't stay in business for 30 years making junk.

But the more time I spend with it, the more I see audio as fine art. Some people like Andy Warhol, some like Norman Rockwell and others prefer something else entirely.

I don't expect anyone to like my system, nor do I care.

Where it becomes silly is when someone asks for a suggestion as to what to buy and the guy that is overzealous for any brand, suggests that product whether it is a fit for what that other person might be looking for.

When you keep making such blanket comments like "Bryston is the best" your'e just leaving yourself open to be torpedoed, because all of the other people that own everything but Bryston have now been offended.

There's one of these over on the Steve Hoffman forum too. His answer to everything is Bryston, "Because that's the best".

I'm more in favor of people having a discovery and making their own decision. And if that path leads you to Bryston, whatever.

It's not like we're trying to cure cancer.

It's not like we're trying to cure cancer.

Funny you should say that Jeff, I just read a study by Deborah B. McGuire titled 'Music and Cancer Pain Management' where I quote,"Music can also alter a person's awareness of pain or the reported intensity ... in a group of cancer patients."

For someone, Bryston may be just the ticket, I guess it all depends on the intensity of the pain. No joke here, just makes you appreciate how powerful an effect music can have on human beings or any animal for that matter. I guess maybe that may be a reason why some people are so overly passionate one way or the other.

Now back to your regulary scheduled thread.

I've never heard Bryston gear but I have heard the CLX and the experience was damn near religious!
And that's coming from a person with zero belief in god(s), the tooth fairy and similar, Santa Clause must be real thou because he has given me some good stuff in my younger days! :p

Bermard,

Yes, I remember that thread now. I guess the McGuire study is just one of many scientific studies on Music and Pain Management, kind of adds weight to your book review though.

My 2 cents: Is it possible that Art is following the Stereophile company line? (C'mon guys. It's about time to kiss and make up.)

Back