Cary SLP-98 opinions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks joey -- yeah, I really like this pre... a very nice stepup from my sunfire.... I couldn't go the extra moolah for the slp05... I know you changed out the stock tubes... I got mine delivered with ...I believe they are called shungyang 6sn7s. They got nice reviews... Just wondered while you were fiddling with tubes your impressions... if you can kick a few more cobwebs out... BTW - nice to see you around again....

Some cobweb kicking...

If I recall correctly, I began switching to RCA NOS tubes. The difference between this and the stock tubes (chinese) was the chinese felt raspier and looser over all.

I don't mean the bass when I say loose. I just mean that there felt less definition in the instruments but more importantly (to me) the vocals.

With the NOS RCA, it was slightly darker but with more grunt and body behind the vocals - gave it more definition and sounded "tighter".

Not sure if I got the point across, but... basically, you should try it. I wont be surprised if you chuck those stock tubes out the window after.

Some cobweb kicking...

If I recall correctly, I began switching to RCA NOS tubes. The difference between this and the stock tubes (chinese) was the chinese felt raspier and looser over all.

I don't mean the bass when I say loose. I just mean that there felt less definition in the instruments but more importantly (to me) the vocals.

With the NOS RCA, it was slightly darker but with more grunt and body behind the vocals - gave it more definition and sounded "tighter".

Not sure if I got the point across, but... basically, you should try it. I wont be surprised if you chuck those stock tubes out the window after.

Point comes across loud and clear... I still love this thing.... I'll have to take a look and see prices etc.... I would need 4 of the 6sn7s...

Latest posts

Back