Inexpensive Delimna

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertawillisjr

Reaction score
Well, I decided to be conservative in upgrading my speakers. Retirement is soon and I decided against Summits and/or Spires.

My choices to possibly replace my Quests are either a primo set of CLS' (which I need to find) or a set of Odyssey's which are available for $2k locally.

I have a Bel Canto Pre2P, an Esoteric DV50s transport, a Clearaudio Emotion and a Mark Levinson 331 amp. Very good interconnects.

I have owned two sets of CLS' in the distant past so I know what to expect there. I just don't want a pair that aren't in excellent mechanical shape.

I listen to everything but the top three types of music are acoustic jazz, R&B and Fusion.

I would appreciate your opinions. The room is well treated.

Thanks

Hi Robert,

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to not pursue the Summits given the performance and the availability of used, at prices that are extremely reasonable from a price / performance perspective?

Having previously owned the CLS 2A's, I understand why you would be considering that option.

You clearly have outstanding hardware. Just a thought.

GG

used summits are still like 3k more I think

I've owned a pair of Odyssey's which I say perform very close to the Summits. A very good choice if finance is a criteria. Also built quality is 2nd to none!

Having owned a pair of Odysseys, and currently having CLS.
I prefer the Huge soundstage of the CLS.

Well, I'll listen to the Odysseys on Saturday, talk to owner, etc. It is always nice when you can look and feel. In the mean while, I'll contact some of the CLS sellers via e-mail. I am worried that they may not be in the best of shape and I really don't want a project (too old) ;).

Thanks for all of the advice.

Hi Robert,

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to not pursue the Summits given the performance and the availability of used, at prices that are extremely reasonable from a price / performance perspective?

Having previously owned the CLS 2A's, I understand why you would be considering that option.

You clearly have outstanding hardware. Just a thought.

GG

For once, I am trying to stick to a budget. Fortunately, my retirement fund hasn't lost money but I want to have a really good reserve.

Update

Well, I audtioned the Odysseys at my local dealer (where the unit was purchased inititally) and am glad that I did.

The dealer doesn't keep really high-end equiment in his store any more (a sign of the times) so the speakers were connected to a Rotel rig which I have heard. The speakers were about three feet from the front wall and in about three feet from the side walls. There were a few other speakers nearby and the right (my right) side wall was covered with curtians.

Sat down and put a mono version of Miles Davis Relaxin' and noticed that the right channel was lower. We had to add 3 db to the right channel. We thought it might be the curtains.

Well, I listened for a while and my wife listened about 20 minutes (she didn't think they were an improvement). As they warmed up (they were sitting for a year) they sounded better but not what I expected.

I noticed that the bass standing behind the speakers was as loud as when I was in front of them.

When I put my ear to the right panel and slowly moved up and down, the the sound was lower/changed towards the bottom. The left speaker was fine.

Both front woofer coverings were a bit worn and the velcro on one was not effective.

The salesman noticed the same thing.

I don't think I will buy. Too much tinkering involved and I don't do much of that anymore.

I may have to break the budget and go with the Summits or Spires. I would love the CLS but finding one in excellent condition that I can audition may be impossible. I would probably want them shipped to ML first then to me. Think what that would cost.

Last edited:
Sounds like the old speakers needed new panels.

Your best bet is a reasonably priced set of Spires IMHO.

Considering the kind of music you listen to and you have a great amp, I'd even consider a used pair of Aerius or Aerius i's. Those were great speakers and might work really well with the system you have, or even perhaps a used pair of Vantages.

Just a thought.

The Levinson amp will work well with CLS's too.

Considering the kind of music you listen to and you have a great amp, I'd even consider a used pair of Aerius or Aerius i's. Those were great speakers and might work really well with the system you have, or even perhaps a used pair of Vantages.

Just a thought.

The Levinson amp will work well with CLS's too.

Had the Aerius as my rears when I did HT. They and the Theater were powered by a Sunfire Signature. I did use them as mains (testing) but preferred the Quests. I'll consider the Vantage but fear they may be a bit light in the rear-end :haha1:

As far as CLS's are concerned, I would love a pair. The should have brand new panels and be in outstanding shape. You know, turnkey;). I could get a set of SVS's until I have ML subwoofer money.

But I have too much going on now.

After a good deal of soul searching, I am going to purchase a pair of CLS. If all works out, they will have a new home in early July.

Speaking as a guy who went from ReQuests to CLS's, I can honestly say that I have no regrets. I doubt you will either - they are exceptionally musical speakers.

The CLS is a great speaker I enjoyed them when they first came ou and still do. But that is not what is important.

How did you not loose money in your retirement fund????

Please share that important info.

So far TIAA is holding steady. Of course, I am in the most conservative fund. Last quarter we got a 1% bump which is much lower that the 7% and up we were getting before the depression started.

TIAA is for teachers and now a few other professions. I think the only way you can get is while on the job. I teach computer science at a small private university in Virginia.

Last edited:
Back