Will Vantages work well with Ayre/Krell/Synergistic Research?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vantageman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Yeah, I'm a newbie on the site, but not to hi-end audio. I am considering buying a demo pair of Vantages (maybe as early as tomorrow) and was hoping for inputs on system compatibility (quickly!).

My 2-channel system:

VPI TNT 3 with JMW12 arm and Grado Statement "The Reference" cartridge
Ayre CX-7e CDP
Ayre K-1xe preamp
Krell FPB600C amp
All Synergistic Research power cords & TeslaPlex receptacle
AQ Niagara and Synergistic Research Accelerator XLR ICs
Synergistic Research Precision Reference speaker cables

Right now, I am using Thiel CS5i speakers, but I think I am ready for a change. A good friend of mine (had Vantages and just traded up to Summit X) tells me he thinks my Krell FPB600c amp may not mate up well with the Vantages. He has not heard my system (lives in NY) and is not very familiar with Krell and is probably judging from what he read a long time ago about the KSA series being a little hot in the highs.

I would greatly appreciate some feedback from those using (or have used) hi-quality solid state equipment with Vantages or other ML speakers. Even better would be those having heard them with Krell, Ayre, and/or Synergistic Research, but all your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

BTW - my room is 14.5 ft X 23 ft X 10 ft with carpeted floor and the walls are untreated. Any input on placement/toe in/room treatments would also be great.

Last edited:
First off....welcome !

As far as the 'work or not' ...only your ears will let you know that, but having had Vantages (and loved them) they are relatively easy to drive and quite compatible with ALOT of amplification.

No, I'm afraid it's gonna sound like crap, sorry ;)

Seriously, you have an awesome list of equipment (VPI and Grado Statement guy myself, been to the Ayre factory more than a few times, entire system is lashed with Synergistic too).

The only downside you'll see out of this is the process of selling your Thiel's. I seriously doubt you'll ever look back. I'm not a Krell guy myself, but I don't think their a "bad" match for Martin Logans and several guys here (C.A.P.?) will tell you it's a marriage made in heaven.

Start setting aside some spare time to re-discover your music collection.

:welcome:

The Krell myth is just that. Krell is as mellow as any other amp when paired right with the other gear. The 600 was one of the best amps they made IMHO. I have extensive ear time with both Krell and Synergistic Research on the Prodigies and Now the CLX. The vantages should sing with all the current they need. Krell has never taken a liking here as PRICE and matching is key! I can tell you , Krell done right is hard to beat , However many will never realize Krell for what it is as they hear it wrong ! Nothing has the bass of a Krell or the ability to bully a speaker into submissiveness.

I feel at home already!

Wow guys, very helpful and encouraging responses in a matter of minutes. Thank you. I figured that the input regarding my Krell was foo-foo. Thanks for the good words about the 600c C.A.P. I bought it new in 2000 and it has commanded my Thiel CS5i's (VERY difficult impedance load and extremely current hungry) with an iron fist ever since. Sure does heat up the room though!

I am visiting a local (Houston, TX) area ML dealer tomorrow to look at and listen to these demo Vantages. He will likely have them paired with McIntosh electronics which should sound pretty good. I'll let you guys know.

I read the Vantage owner's manual online and I was wondering about their placement recommendations. With my roomsize (14.5 X 23 X 10), their recommendations would have the center of the curvilinear panel 6' 2" out from the front wall, and 47" from each side wall. This leaves only 80" (7.5 ft) between the speakers and my listening position would be about 10 feet away. They suggest setting the toe in by shining a flashlight held under your chin such that the light beam hits the inner 1/3 of the panel. Can anyone give me a little feedback on placement?

Thanks again,
Dave

Wow guys, very helpful and encouraging responses in a matter of minutes. Thank you. I figured that the input regarding my Krell was foo-foo. Thanks for the good words about the 600c C.A.P. I bought it new in 2000 and it has commanded my Thiel CS5i's (VERY difficult impedance load and extremely current hungry) with an iron fist ever since. Sure does heat up the room though!

I am visiting a local (Houston, TX) area ML dealer tomorrow to look at and listen to these demo Vantages. He will likely have them paired with McIntosh electronics which should sound pretty good. I'll let you guys know.

I read the Vantage owner's manual online and I was wondering about their placement recommendations. With my roomsize (14.5 X 23 X 10), their recommendations would have the center of the curvilinear panel 6' 2" out from the front wall, and 47" from each side wall. This leaves only 80" (7.5 ft) between the speakers and my listening position would be about 10 feet away. They suggest setting the toe in by shining a flashlight held under your chin such that the light beam hits the inner 1/3 of the panel. Can anyone give me a little feedback on placement?

Thanks again,
Dave

I would be very interested in your assessment of the Vantages/McIntosh pairing. Some here find them too laid back for MLs, but there are some members here who have McIntosh gear and love it.

As far as placement is concerned, I have found the manual's setup recommendations to be rather accurate. I have Vantages set up in a 11.5 x 19.5 x 8 room, about 9 feet from the sweet spot with a slight toe-in. As you might have heard, MLs are very finicky when it comes to set up, so even a half inch can make a significant difference. Be prepared to be patient and spend more time than you have in the past to set up the Vantages properly.

Hello Vantageman and welcome. I too have the same preamp: Ayre K1-xe, and cd player: Ayre C-7xe, also I use Vantages. They work extremely well together and could not recommend them more highly. But like all things hifi if you can test out a pair in your own setup that would be best. Of course with your friend being in NY that may be hard, but after you do a demo at your local hifi shop if you like them then that could be a good indicator that they will be to your liking in your room with your gear. However there are never any guarantees. I use an Ayre amp along with my other Ayre gear and feel the synergy really pays off and I too believe that your Krell will most likely sound fantastic and pair up well. Take the plunge.:D:D

Last edited:
Thanks to all you fine ML fanatics

Since there were so many helpful and encouraging responses to my inquiry, I thought I would address all in one post:

twitch: Thanks for the input. I think the Krell will drive the Vantages fine - 935w/ch @ 8 ohms, 6000 w/ch and >115A of current @ 1 ohm according to JA in 1999 Stereophile benchtest!

MiTT: Don'tcha just love the Synergistics stuff. Nothin' like it. I know an excellent SR dealer if you are shopping.

C.A.P. - Viva la Krell! We will 'talk' a lot more I'm sure.

asindc: I will let you know how I like the Vantage/Mac combo. I used to have Apogees (wish I still did) so I understand what you mean about precise setup!

engtaz: Thanks for the warm welcome!

FOUNTAIN: Agree on the Ayre stuff being great. I might have bought an Ayre amp, but I needed the monster Krell to drive the Thiels and, to be honest, I don't think I knew 'Ayre' from 'air' in 2000! Were they around then?

Thanks again guys. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Best,
Dave

BTW - my room is 14.5 ft X 23 ft X 10 ft with carpeted floor and the walls are untreated. Any input on placement/toe in/room treatments would also be great.

Dave, FWIW, my room is demensionally the same as yours ! so here's my recomendation...........

space your Vantages equal distance from side walls, approx 7'4" apart (center-to-center), have them 5-6' off the wall behind. Depending on your 'toe-in' prefrence that will place you approx 10' from speakers.

Acoustic treatments to start would be corner bass trapping (all four), first point of reflection(remember angle of incidence equals angle of reflection).

With respect to front wall (behind speakers) a mix of absorption / diffusion would be good. Depending on the surface behind your seating location, I'd apply the same logic.

now sit back, pour beverage of choice and enjoy !! :music:

Back