Hi there

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Reaction score
I walked into an audio dealer about 5 years ago to see what about $1000 would buy me to upgrade my old set of Bose mini speakers. The salesman had me listen to a couple of speakers and to my untrained ears they just all sounded about the same. He was using words like imaging and soundstage to tell me the differences between the speakers, but not being an audiophile I just couldn't really grasp the concept of what he was talking about. I think he sensed my confusion and lack of experience (and vulnerability to pay more perhaps), so he said just for kicks lets go to another room and I'll let you listen to our flagship speakers. First he asked if I happend to have any CD's in my car that I liked to listen to, so I bought in a Fleetwood Mac CD. So he sits me in front of these two huge speakers, ML's top of line at the time, that looked like they were from a different time to a person who never even knew electrostats existed. He turns on the CD, turns the lights off in the room, and shuts the door and leaves me alone in the room so I could listen for awhile. I never will forget how incredible that was. I almost immediately knew exactly what he had been telling me all along. He then had me listen to a set of Aeons, and I left the store very satisfied but $2500 poorer. More than twice the amount I had planned to spend but worth every penny! In the past few days I have purchased a new Depth subwoofer to go along with my Aeons, but I have a few questions concerning the setup. That is what led me this forum. It's great to be a member of the ML club.

Aeon's plus a Depth is a great combination IMO. The Aeon and Odyssey were two of my favorite models from that release/era of ML's

Welcome!

Your story is one that is heard too infrequently these days. I'm very sure that more people would be into high end audio if dealers took the time to demo stuff properly like yours did with you.

It's very hard to describe high end sound to the uninitiated, especially when they believe that they'll not hear the stuff we audiophile are talking about. In this case, a listen is worth a thousand words!

There is a ton of information on this site about ML speakers.

Every thing from setup to timbre match and just to make it interesting, every thing in between.

Use the search function and you should be able to find what you are looking for.

If not just pose a question to the group, you have lots of ML owners here willing to share and some won't even charge you for the advice:D

I think there are quite a few of us that ended up owning ML after listening just out of curiosity.

Congratulations.

welcome kevin a lot of us share the same story

you stumbled on to a great forum the people here are very knowledgeable and willing to share

glad to have you here, Larry

I enjoyed reading your experience Kevin as it sent me down memory lane as to the first time I heard Martin Logans. I was the same way when it came to electrostatic speakers and not knowing they even existed much less having the knowledge that they had been out for many years. I was just amazed as I ran my ear up and down the front of the panel to hear an unbroken seamless sound not to mention that you could see through them. The cool factor was way off the scale for me. I too started with Aeon's and added a depth sub later. Loved every note from them. Enjoy the tunes and welcome to a great forum with tons of knowledgeable people eager to help.

Glen

Thanks all for your kind replies, I look forward to being a member. I love listening to great music and have a very wide range in musical tastes but my knowledge on stereo equipment and setup is very limited. I'm hoping you can teach me a thing or two.:D

Hey Kevin, ditto here on the story..
My favorite dealer had a wine & cheese party and I walked into a room with a 5 channel Logan system.. Scenarios, Grotto, Scripts and I can't remeber what the center was at the time. My jaw nearly hit the floor. never heard anything so awesome.
Well, I ended up purchasing the Scenario's a year later when they went on a demo sale, have since moved to the Clarity's and am auditioning Vista's tomorrow.
Welcome to the insanity!!

Back