Denon 3808 GUI display issue

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveInNC

Reaction score
I've had a Denon 3808CI as my main HT unit for quite awhile now. It was originally driving a Toshiba DLP, and now drives a Pioneer 5020, all over HDMI. The whole time that I've had it, I've had the on screen GUI working perfectly. Although the Pioneer is a recent addition, I know that I've messed with the GUI while connected to that also, so I don't think that that is related. In any case, for some reason, neither the OSD nor the Volume scale show up on the monitor now. Denons overlay this information in the active HDMI stream as part of their regenerating/upscaling of the video signal.

I don't know what has changed. I suppose I might have gotten a power glitch at some point that reset a value, but I don't see anything obvious in the manual that would allow/deny OSD when running over HDMI. Does anyone have any clues? I did try powering-down the Denon while leaving the Pioneer on so that the Denon would resync the HDMI handshake. I have no trouble viewing any of the HDMI sources, it simply won't show any of the overlays. Pure Direct mode is not on.

I have not tried powering the Denon fully off, I just set it to power/standby mode, so I might try that next.

Nevermind... a full-cold power cycle fixed it (via the small on/off button on the front panel, as opposed to the big power/standby button). I assume that the processor or other hardware got into a weirded-out state. I'm surprised that the rest of the functionality seemed intact though.

Nevermind... a full-cold power cycle fixed it (via the small on/off button on the front panel, as opposed to the big power/standby button). I assume that the processor or other hardware got into a weirded-out state. I'm surprised that the rest of the functionality seemed intact though.

Steve, yes, that happens with some of the highly-complex gear these days.

A cold-reboot does the trick, as you found out. :cool:

My Denon Preamp (which is the love-child of a computer and an Audiophile preamp) occasionally needs that. But I blame stupid HDCP for this. Copy-protection never, ever helps a user, and is costing the CE industry billions in support costs, needless returns, etc. Grrrr. :mad:

Back