New warning ad on Audiogon....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's one thing to have a inflexible policy set in stone, it is another thing to be very accomdating in practice. I have never once been asked to submit a receipt or serial number when I call in with a problem. Their service model seems to be keep sending out parts until your problem is fixed. In fact they even sent me instructions to take the entire speaker apart. I don't think any other company compares to ML customer service.

I agree with Rvega003 that MartinLogan is trying to be a speaker producer, and one who operates on very small production runs at that.

But to do so, they have built and maintained a channel sales strategy that requires the tight price controls necessary for dealers to be willing to sign up (as it helps ensure the dealers can make healthy profits). This then allows them to specify minimum display stock, presentation materials, etc. Which should ensure that if you ever walk into an ML dealer, they will have some models for you to audition.

So the thing to remember is that to companies that operate though distribution channels, their customers are not you and I, it is the distribution/dealer network. That’s where the money comes from.

So on a day-to-day basis, they will tend to make decisions that favor the channel vs the consumer.

The one area where ML absolutely excels is in direct customer service. They are indeed superior in this and deserve all credit for paying attention to the consumer, post-sale.

Strategically, I see ML beginning to evaluate new channels, like Amazon. But they almost had to, as with Tweeter going under, and the demise of so many small shops, their network must be running dry.

However, I would hope they also start to consider more contemporary models, such as direct referral (or viral) models where if one of us convinces a new user to purchase a new set of ML’s, we could submit a form and receive some reward (discounts towards new ML’s of our own?) and that the purchaser would be able to get the units direct from ML at a set discount.
Since that user might have never set foot in any dealer store, nothing has been lost to that channel.

The existing ML customer did all the ‘Sales’ work, and in exchange for a bit of paperwork and the promise of future product discount, their friend also gets a discount and a direct shipment.
Nine time out of ten, it will be the existing customer who will show up the evening the boxes arrive to help the newbie install their new speakers. So you get even better setup and initial experience models for the new users.

Again, companies need to be trying new things these days, the old traditional sales models are pierced by the transparency of modern information networks and our ever-more informed consumer.

I agree with Rvega003 that MartinLogan is trying to be a speaker producer, and one who operates on very small production runs at that.

But to do so, they have built and maintained a channel sales strategy that requires the tight price controls necessary for dealers to be willing to sign up (as it helps ensure the dealers can make healthy profits). This then allows them to specify minimum display stock, presentation materials, etc. Which should ensure that if you ever walk into an ML dealer, they will have some models for you to audition.

So the thing to remember is that to companies that operate though distribution channels, their customers are not you and I, it is the distribution/dealer network. That’s where the money comes from.

So on a day-to-day basis, they will tend to make decisions that favor the channel vs the consumer.

The one area where ML absolutely excels is in direct customer service. They are indeed superior in this and deserve all credit for paying attention to the consumer, post-sale.

Strategically, I see ML beginning to evaluate new channels, like Amazon. But they almost had to, as with Tweeter going under, and the demise of so many small shops, their network must be running dry.

However, I would hope they also start to consider more contemporary models, such as direct referral (or viral) models where if one of us convinces a new user to purchase a new set of ML’s, we could submit a form and receive some reward (discounts towards new ML’s of our own?) and that the purchaser would be able to get the units direct from ML at a set discount.
Since that user might have never set foot in any dealer store, nothing has been lost to that channel.

The existing ML customer did all the ‘Sales’ work, and in exchange for a bit of paperwork and the promise of future product discount, their friend also gets a discount and a direct shipment.
Nine time out of ten, it will be the existing customer who will show up the evening the boxes arrive to help the newbie install their new speakers. So you get even better setup and initial experience models for the new users.

Again, companies need to be trying new things these days, the old traditional sales models are pierced by the transparency of modern information networks and our ever-more informed consumer.

My one friend alone is responsible for at least 10 individual speaker sales that I know of that would never have happed if where left up to a dealer.

Back