CLX Bass Tweak

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMAUSGP

Reaction score
There is a bass tweak that I dicovered that allows the CLXs to produce even more bass.

First order 4 stablizer discs from Herbies Audio Lab. They cost 20 bucks a pair and are used to decouple mass from speaker cabinets, amps, cd players, etc.

Then go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up 2 packets of polished black granite tiles. They tend to be pretty much invisible on the back cabinet of the CLXs, although the polished black granite does look stunning.

You will need 4 tiles per speaker to lay on the top of the back of the CLX cabinets, right behind the panels. I started with just 2 stacked on top of each other with one stabilizer puck to decouple the granite from the speaker and I placed it directly behind the bass panels. Then I went back and put another two granite tiles stacked on top of each other side by side with the first set of tiles. Now they cover the entire back of the CLX cabinet. I stuck a coulpe of Big Fat Dots again from Herbies, between the tiles and the cabinet and to isolate the tiles from each other.

Bottom line the bass response from the CLXs improved dramatically after this tweak. So much so that I massed loaded my Vistas with granite tiles and Herbies Audio Lab stabilizer pucks as well.

Anyway this whole thing will cost you about 100 bucks and it takes whole 60 seconds to install, but the bass you get from the panels is amazing. Nice thing is that the tiles are unobtrusive as well.

And yeah I know they sound good now, but just wait. As the saying goes, you ain't heard nothin yet;

BTW. Yellow rubber doorstops in pics is to keep the rake vertical on the CLXs.

Attachments

• jse_MLListeningRoom_019.jpg
    jse_MLListeningRoom_019.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 780
  • jse_MLListeningRoom_017.jpg
    jse_MLListeningRoom_017.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 779
  • jse_MLListeningRoom_018.jpg
    jse_MLListeningRoom_018.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 767
  • jse_MLListeningRoom_016.jpg
    jse_MLListeningRoom_016.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 767
Last edited:
I was told my an ML dealer that there is also a hidden, undocumented bass boost switch in the electronics, which is easily accessible if you know where to look for it, or so he said. Check it out.

I will look for those and I will be posting pictures of the tweaked CLXs in the next two to three weeks. As I have sufficiently redone my system since I originally posted the CLX pics.

I will look for those and I will be posting pictures of the tweaked CLXs in the next two to three weeks. As I have sufficiently redone my system since I originally posted the CLX pics.

Looking forward in seeing the pics!

Latest posts

Back