Help.... Blown Vista

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
;) ....... Especially those piano black Ascents!

no doubt !

I think not offering that finish especially on their new models since the finishable area is so small is kind of weak Martin Logan.I have a pretty good eye for a nice finish and I will have to say that sometimes Martin Logan needs a little help in this department sometimes they do a fine job and other times its like what are you guys doing ?

IMO the best sounding high output speaker is the old Altec Model 19. I owned many Altecs, JBLs, EVs and such and IMO the 19 is the best turnkey, non electrostatic speaker made.

It will give outrageous volume with very low distortion and needs very little power to do so; 10 watts will give you the volume a sane person can stand and 100 watts will give you live at the Aragon output.

Not only that but they have great imaging, tonality and clarity. A true hi-fi speaker. But they quit making it about 25 years ago, you gotta find 'em used. But they're easy to find and there are many Altec nuts out there online to help you out. And the parts are still made brand new and in The United States by GPA, the succesor company to the "real" Altec.

nineteens_024.jpg

These look killer!! I would love to own a pair.

Doug - out

I'm actually liking the Mcintosh XRT28 (never heard or seen in person). Seems like they are around $10k list. Any opinions on them? I heard the XRT1K and those were amazing, but those seem to be a couple steps up..

Hi Dublin,

Are you looking for quantity (read loud / ear damaging - 95 and above db) or quality (read musicality, soundstage, imaging, etc.) ?

GG

so have you talked to Logan what's the fix and how much does it cost?

The system is in my basement which is below ground.. So shouldn't affect neighbors too much if at all. The finished portion of my basement is pretty much one large open room at around 1000 sq ft.

I replaced the woofer today... I can see what the problem is, with what I thought was a blown woofer. I don't know what all the parts are called, so excuse my rough/ignorant explanation. At the bottom of the cone is what seems like a cardboard tube that is/was glued to a flexible diaphram. With the motion of the woofer going in an out - it appears that the glue/apoxy holding those pieces together just came detached, and the card board tube actually moves in and out of the diaphram instead of being attached and moving together. It seems like that could be repaired. Does this make sense to anyone?

What you're describing is the voicecoil. Sounds like it's still attached to the "spider" which has a corrugated appearance. Yes, you could fix that, and here's how to do it: Carefully remove the dust cover that goes over the voice coil, and try to save it if at all possible. Replacements can be had at online stores like MCM Electronics if you can't. Now that the voice coil is visible from the front side of the woofer, carefully insert some business cards between the voice coil and the pole piece in the middle. Shimming it thus will keep the voice coil centered so there's no rubbing later. Next, CAREFULLY glue the woofer cone back onto the voice coil. Make sure you don't glue the shims along with it! Use a good quality 30 min. epoxy. Otherwise a water-based glue like Aileene's Tacky Glue from the craft store would work just fine. You might have to raise the voice coil to meet the woofer, if you can, otherwise weight the woofer so it makes solid contact with the voice coil while the glue cures. After the glue cures, make sure there's a solid bond, and then reattach the dust cover, and you're back in business!

Why repair it now? You have replaced them. For backup just in case you decided to have another loud rock concert at your party? :devil:

Thanks for the info... ML replaced it under warranty. They were great about it. This actually does sound like it was a defect since the speaker still works and basically the glue just came apart. I just hate to toss the speaker when it could be repaired. ML didn't ask for me to send it back.

whether you blew it up with your party or not that rocks that they replaced it under warranty many other companies would not have they would have simply said you went over the recommended amplification to a bad:mad: although it does sound like something went wrong inside just think about the stain those speaker cones are under.

Back