New ML Statements Ev III

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent a few days [5] in Amsterdam in July 2006 yes it is a beautiful city The thing that I noticed about the people is that they very seldom make eye contact not only with a fat American but with others as well. very seldom did you see them wishing others a good day or even saying hello. I spent most of my time in the museum area and toured most of them including the Heineken museum yes even fresh it has that bad aftertaste.

A couple of times I took the tram back to the train station and wandered from there turning a corner i noticed someone in a lower window, I had wandered into the red light district. Possibly the good looking babes work the night shift because what i seen didnt merit a second look..

That was also the first time I seen a Smart car landing at the airport I figured we must be a lot higher up than we were no they are really that small.

It is not that bike friendly but they dominate the roads all of the busses had black marks on their sides about handlebar high, but there are so many that you have to givr them some room just not much. a couple of blocks from my hotel [the Atlas] was a nice restaurant on a busy intersection where I got to do a lot of people watching.

The diamond museum and the flower market was really something to see. I could recommend seeing it once.

Yes there are plenty of bikes. Hard to tell but this parking deck was wall to wall bikes.

Attachments

• 121_2127.JPG
    121_2127.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 137
Justin,

You weren't and you didn't. That amazes me. I've been to Amersterdam more than a dozen times and I have to admit I was and I did.:D

Oh and the bikes were cool too.

And the Museums were cool too.'

And the Red Light district was .....well red like the red gin they serve on the tour boats.

In fact my supply of red gin is low, I will have to go back to Amsterdam and get some along with the great Afgan coffee at one of the local coffee houses.

But on the way there, I will be sure to stop in Jolly old England so I can check out this 1.5 million euro E2 sound system that apparently exists there.

You didn't think I could get this back on topic, did you?:D

Well, I wasn't when I was looking around the city (for the most part);) And if I ever was, I really don't remember it...:) And if I did, I didn't inhale. And I did NOT have sexual relations with a girl called Monica.

The most astonishing thing I saw was the Rembrandts in here: http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/.

I have never, in my entire life, been so utterly shocked by paintings. This man could paint. His paintings are positively three dimensional in the flesh. Any printed versions of his work fail completely to convey his utter brilliance with a brush. To see them in the flesh is worth the trip alone. No one, as far as I am aware, even gets close. Truly stunned by him.

Van Gough, also on display elsewhere, was pathetic. - 1st year junior school tat in comparison.

I'm not into the study of art - I just know genius when I see it. Max. respect, Mr Rembrandt!

Yup - let's go see that E2 system together...:D

Last edited:
Ooops, I'm sorry, I thought you guys were talking about EVs, you know, Sentry IIIs.

Good to see you haven't lost your touch, Tom! :ROFL:

Have you picked a date for the horn club get together at your place? I'd like to attend. Hope you can make it out this way sometime for a visit.

Good to see you haven't lost your touch, Tom! :ROFL:

Have you picked a date for the horn club get together at your place? I'd like to attend. Hope you can make it out this way sometime for a visit.

Probably in July Brian, I'll keep you informed. Despite my recent conversion to electrostats I kept one set of GPA compression drivers to keep my foot in the horn world. ;) I got rid of 4 sets of Altecs, a set of big JBL theater speakers and various amps, drivers, horns and active crossovers when I moved back to Chicago.

I'm afraid to listen to the Sound Labs. No kidding. But yeah, I'll get up to hear them.

Regards

just remember how big the US really is.

Fish,

With the appropriate infrastructure "in place" to encourage bicycle use (separated non-motorized paths, bike lanes, bike parking, bike racks on buses, etc.) it can work amazingly well in an "urban" environment.

GG

Fish,

With the appropriate infrastructure "in place" to encourage bicycle use (separated non-motorized paths, bike lanes, bike parking, bike racks on buses, etc.) it can work amazingly well in an "urban" environment.

GG

this would be nice in certain areas.I think it would go really far to get people into shape as the number of overweight people is on the rise and bike rides can really help motivate people.

Not to continue being off topic, but there are many places that bicycling could replace cars. There are lots of short trips (like when I drive my car 2 miles (round trip) to get my medication or a few items from the grocery store) for which bicycling would work. I could sure use the exercise.

Back on Topic: CLXs and Subs

Quite possibly. And in some areas, maybe even exceed. I've not heard the CLX with two Descent is, and not heard the E2 for about three years.

That still, it'd be nice to have an E3!

I have heard the Statements. It has been a while, I think it was at Sound by Singer or Lyric Hi-Fi in NYC. They are massive and need a HUGE space not to mention tons of amplifiers. This rules them out for most "normal" size listening rooms. I have mated the CLXs with 2 Descent i's in front and 2 Descents behind me. The bass response is very solid, well integrated with the main panels and given the size of my room, it is the most I can fit in a 21 x 15 x 8 space. I have also heard the SoundLabs. They are excellent speakers but too big and heavy for many. I can at least move the CLXs around on small glider discs if I ever needed to adjust spacing or distance.

Anyway JayJay - £1.5 million? I think that's pretty excessive.

Nope - $1.5 million (I was converting to USD to help our American friends!) - i've only really come across a score of really decent systems in real peoples houses and this is a fair average value...

....but there are some amazing systems in 'normal' value houses as well of course :)

Having been to Holland and Amsterdam about 15 times I'd have to point out the following:-

The Dutch are absolutely lovely / friendly / talketive / religious / educated and very weird all at the same time (Goldmember anyone? saw that in a Dutch movie theatre and the dutch were laughing even louder than the English!)

Holland is clean / safe / pretty / very very expensive to live in.

The've managed 'the impossible' in a number of tricky areas that I wish we could manage in the UK:

The bike / car policy for example - people *want* to ride bikes - but cars are also welcome in the citys and you don't feel unwelcome for driving one etc.

Policing? As an english guy I was amazed to see that their police are warmly welcomed into the pubs / bars by the populus on busy evenings and not seen as 'The enemy' - but any potential troublemakers know that they simply don't get away with being a nuissance as the cops are right there if anyone kicks-off and have a 'Heavy Handed' approach to dealing with louts.

Teenage Pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease etc? Lowest in the whole world.

Drugs & prostitution policy? I thought they were absolutely INSANE in legalising soft drugs & prossies etc - until I saw how well they've managed that as well - it's sort of seen as uncool / unhealthy / quietly tolerated in strictly controlled ways -

Gotta hate those Dutchies! Still the guys are typically ginger and the girls are far to big and manly ;)
Nowhere's perfect! Except the UK of course with our higest-in-Europe teenage pregnancy / appauling education standards / hard drug culture / gorgeous population.

I have heard the Statements. It has been a while, I think it was at Sound by Singer or Lyric Hi-Fi in NYC. They are massive and need a HUGE space not to mention tons of amplifiers.

Statements were truely GIGANTIC - like a Soundlab with a seperate v. boxy pair of sub systems...

Statements Ev2 were quite a bit smaller and far more attractive - but still large speakers (with prettier dipole subs)

Statements Ev3 (if invented) should still be a large / full height speakers and subs that you can enjoy listening too whilst standing up as well as sitting down - but would hopefully be beautiful on the eyes as well... even nicer than the Ev2 one would hope.

Latest posts

Back