Apogee Duetta Signature Rebuild

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread has lost a little continuity, but I'm sure we can live with that.
I'm sure you'll get it back on track when the rebuild is done. BTW you should post the picture of your car here for colour comparison....yes, I know, it is difficult to get the true colour displayed, but, it IS a nice car !

BTW when you do an in-depth comparison between the Apogees and your Ascents, please list the music you use for the comparison.

A Honda Accord is a nice car, Bernard:)

In all seriousness, it's impossible to portray the exact colour. Modern highish end paints are extremely variable to the eye. For instance, the car looks black in some lighting. Or just plain dark blue in others. Or, when the sun shines brightly on it, the metallic elements really show through. Bad polishing produces highly visible swirls. They are an absolute nightmare to clean - I have to use microfibre cloths to get a decent level of visual acceptability.

It turns out that the colour code is C950. The "C" stands for ceramic coating. This seems to have the spray painter's a bit confused at the moment - we're trying to sort out how to get this done - we have the colour spot on, I believe.

In practise, the ceramic coating is a very thin protective layer that in some lights seems to throw a perception of depth into the finish. It's hard to describe, but when you are cleaning it it feels and looks a bit like the paint is covered in a thin layer of diamond.

Last edited:
I've got some time tonight so hey...

With regards to A-B comparison and music played - we'll have to see what happens. At the moment the plan is to hear the Aps via some Rowen amps before purchase.

They are really small physically (look like class Ds, but they aren't), but check the spec. Is that cool or what? Well, I think so anyway:)

70W RMS 8Ω
120W RMS 4Ω
190W RMS 2Ω
max 1300W peak into 0.5Ω, stable down to 0.3Ω load

You'll find f*ck all if you look 'em up. Doubly sweet.

Oh Chris (C.A.P) - wanna melt yer FPB300s? The Scintilla is the one.:devil::rocker:

\ and all I do is put gas into it and do regular maintenance.

I love it now I have a car that is like that. It's not as fun of course, but my previous car (Volvo S60) had a cracked turbo and a broken A/C evaporator all in the space of a week - cost me almost $3,000!

I regularly long for that car back, but in the end it's nice just to put in fuel and forget about it!

Pic as per Bernard's request... that's on the day I picked it up - i.e. it's brand spanking new. The Honda ad was a favourite here for a very long time. It was shown incessantly, though.

Hey, Bob Carver likes Scintillas... and used to drive them with a 40 tube amp:eek::devil:

http://www.audioworld.com/sw/Forum1/HTML/007704.html

Attachments

• merc.jpg
    merc.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,456
Last edited:
Nice Ride Justin, but it definitely looks better from the front. From the back it looks like it suffers from a little "Noassatall".

You've already seen mine many times in my avatar. A very nice ass, if you are in to that sort of thing!:D

Funky red/silver grey Duetta.

Sorry guys... I'm just excited:D

Actually, I think the CLS is prettier, but hey...;)

The builder won't let me hear them til they have at least 50 hours on them... sound familiar?:)

Attachments

• Apogee_Duetta_awesome.jpg
    Apogee_Duetta_awesome.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,444
  • Apogee.jpg
    Apogee.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 3,926
Last edited:
Hm - here's some bad messing around in Photoshop - tried a blue against the red. Does that work? I've just looked on one monitor and it didn't look to good. On another the blue looks darker - and I quite like it!

The pair above was at RMAF 2007.

EDIT: all blue with the colour swipped from the car pic earlier. My fave. Plus Atlas Grey.

Actually - thanks all for not giving me a hard time here. This is, after all, a possible defection!:)

Attachments

• Apogeebluered copy.jpg
    Apogeebluered copy.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 2,148
  • Apogeeblue copy.jpg
    Apogeeblue copy.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 2,058
  • ApogeeAtlas.jpg
    ApogeeAtlas.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,155
Last edited:
I thought that - but apparently it was an all ARC setup.

Attachments

• rmafap.jpg
    rmafap.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,152
Last edited:
Had to post these due to the "awesome" factor - Bob Carver's Scintilla drivers...

"The Cherry Seven puts out 575 watts per channel, and believe me my Apogees at 72 dB need every watt to really reproduce a space ship taking off. Even a full symphony orchestra produces about two acoustic watts at full tilt boogie, so a bit of simple arithmetic reveals the need for these power levels."

Attachments

• bobcarver.jpg
    bobcarver.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 2,171
Forget the Cherry Seven, where do I get my hands on one of those new UltaSonic Power Conditioners/Surge Protectors???

That thing is so slim and slick, it is like no power conditioner/surge protector at all.:D

Er... I dunno, cos I haven't a clue what you're on about:D:)!!! Is it something in the pic?

Anyway, inside a D. Sig., pic fresh from the builder...

Can't help wonder that one of the reasons Apogee failed was their move away from full range ribbons in the later days...:(

Attachments

• dsiginside.jpg
    dsiginside.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 3,252
Forget the Cherry Seven, where do I get my hands on one of those new UltaSonic Power Conditioners/Surge Protectors???

That thing is so slim and slick, it is like no power conditioner/surge protector at all.:D

I have a couple hidden away in a drawer you could have cheaply. Add $200 for cryo treatment.;)

Back