Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Apogee Duetta Signature Rebuild

Default Apogee Duetta Signature Rebuild

Looks like I have now definately (at last) found myself a pair of Duetta Sigs for an almost complete re-build. I am going to get all the drivers replaced with Graz drivers - bass and MRTs, and have some work done of the crossovers. They'll also be resprayed to make them look pretty much like new.

I'm due some pics, but they are not in good condition. I'll post them if the vendor doesn't mind.

It should take about a month for them to be re-worked and arrive. I'll use this thread to keep you all updated and let you know what I think.

Don't worry - I haven't sold my Logans - and I won't until I know I prefer the Apogees - or not!

I just think this is an interesting venture, so I really want to undertake it. And if I don't like the end result, I can always revert to my MLs, and pass the Apogees on...

Good luck with it Justin. Should be a fun project. Hope they sound awesome.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

Thanks Rich - here's a few pics of said Duettas. A bit knackered, but the idea is that they won't be when done, of course!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

And a shot of the disintegrating foam behind the MRTW... common problem, apparently. As is the foam that holds the bass ribbons. When it goes, they audibly buzz.

Stands a bit worse for wear - maybe able to get new ones from Germany. Not sure yet.

Potential candidate for respray... rather nice, I think. And an excellent match for the ribbon colour.

Actually, I'd take the car over the speakers...
    Last edited by User211; 06-07-2009 at 11:39 AM.

I see a SS amp in your near future !
    Martin Logan... Odyssey...Krell KSA 100s...Krell KRC3 Pre Amp...Krell Connect Media server/DAC
    My system here

Good luck Justin. Foam disintegrates wherever it is used - stupid substance!
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

Quote Originally Posted by C.A.P View Post
    I see a SS amp in your near future !
    Send me yours?

Actually, I was gonna use this. Check out the spec: 1W/Ch • 10-20KHz +0/-2dB • Input -20/+4dB@10kOhm • 4.4" X 3.0" X 3.0" • 111mmX76mmX76mm • 12VAC@1A

Graz "the man" seems to think my amps will power a re-vamped Duetta "all the way".
    Last edited by User211; 06-07-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amey01 View Post
    Good luck Justin. Foam disintegrates wherever it is used - stupid substance!
    Yup - I think the Aussie chappie Graz has managed to replace it with some other more durable material - or more durable foam!

Have to say, getting them re-done isn't cheap - but still less than a new pair of Vantage at list price. They come with a 1 year warranty, too, which gives some sort of peace of mind.
    Last edited by User211; 06-07-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Be sure to replace those binding post too. I used the Copper Cardas with my Apogees.

Yup - new binding posts are part of the re-build too. To be honest, they should be markedly better than the originals. No hand cut foils here - they are precision machine cut to higher tolerances.

Where are you having them done?
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Stands a bit worse for wear - maybe able to get new ones from Germany. Not sure yet.
    Considering how tall the speakers are, have you considered doing what SME's AR-A did with the Quads, i.e. building a more solid stand ?

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Send me yours?
    Hard to part with a friend!

Actually, I was gonna use this. Check out the spec: 1W/Ch • 10-20KHz +0/-2dB • Input -20/+4dB@10kOhm • 4.4" X 3.0" X 3.0" • 111mmX76mmX76mm • 12VAC@1A

That is cool, Id like toi hear tht with some Klipsch horns

Graz "the man" seems to think my amps will power a re-vamped Duetta "all the way".
    Looking forward to the review!
    Martin Logan... Odyssey...Krell KSA 100s...Krell KRC3 Pre Amp...Krell Connect Media server/DAC
    My system here

Here are a couple of reviews:

http://www.apogeespeakers.com/review...ws_dec1988.htm

http://www.apogeespeakers.com/review...e_july1989.htm

But they are 20 years old. Never seen Martin Colloms like something so much - apart from his Krell FPB600 review.