Coolest Horn Design

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
This has to be one the coolest horn designs I've ever seen. Just thought this was an interesting looking speaker. I'm curious to hear how it sounds. The wife says it looks like an inner ear canal.
1237082375.jpg

Interesting! Are the clear acrylic sides for demo purposes only (like a cutaway view) or the actual finished design? Who makes them, and how much?

You may notice the pictures are from a 3-D modeling program. Speakers are made to order in Australia. Built up from stacked cnc mdf.

The same technique is used by this Japanese speaker company to build their "backroadhorn". Gotta love the Japanese Engrish. I hear it all the time from my mother. She is from Fukuoka Japan.

http://www.spnet.ne.jp/~hasehiro/product/backroadhorn.html

Last edited:
I've been wrong before, but I'd be shocked if these speakers sound any better than Bose.

I imagine they would run well with a triode amp? that driver looks like it would take very little power.there is an entire cult of people that are into high efficiency single driver systems.as simple as these single driver speakers are that I have seen in the past I do not believe that they can accurately trace the entire spectrum of the audio signal. although I can respect the philosophy of no crossover I think it is somewhat of a pipe dream

they look like a good conversation piece do you think the introduction of a few hamsters would void the warranty???

Last edited:
Its a Lowther 8" driver in a horn enclosure which results in a highly efficient speaker and are typically paired with ultra-low powered SET or Triode tube amps. It's essentially the inner ear canal working in reverse. I also doubt have my doubts about there ability to accurately cover the entire frequency spectrum but this type of speaker may surprise us with a midrange, midbass and 3D soundstage to die for.

The high-efficiency low-powered amp isn't my style but I can appreciate the approach. I'd like to experience a properly setup system to hear what the appeal is.

This one is machined from hardwood and the sides are acrylic. In this photo you can see how they are made. It's actually a simple design with the wood being sandwiched together. Just need to be highly skilled with a jigsaw. It can be internally lighted which must look pretty interesting at night.
1237082376.jpg

Last edited:
they have small drivers and very heavy cabinets. these could sound good I will bet the room acoustics have to be near perfect though.

If needing high efficiency, and you like a single point-source speaker 'sound' then these could be very good.

While I'm a huge fan of the benefits of large line-arrays, there are situations and preferences where a very well done point-source speaker can sound really good.

A case in point is KEF's new v10 UniQ coincident source mid-tweeter. As shown in this Concept Blade speaker.

They look like a combination of a transmission line and a horn enclosure. I don't like them.

Latest posts

Back